What's 10mm for?

I cut my teeth with auto ownership when I bought the Glock 20. It does everything a .357 mag does but a little bit better in all aspects with more mass, more sectional density, more capacity, more velocity, and better control. I have a close friend who has a 6" 41mag, and yes the 41mag has 15% more energy, but the Glock 20 is so much easier to shoot, and to shoot well.

My opinion is that a full powered 10mm is a dandy trail gun in the lower 48. I hear the 10 does have an amazing following in Alaska, but I am of the opinion even the 44mag may be weak for Alaska hiking.
  • Like 1

I realized the bang part could be interpreted a few ways... Haha Oh well, clearly my statement is still true.

I read it fast and thought it said for women who want to bang a real ma.....I digress.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I read it fast and thought it said for women who want to bang a real ma.....I digress.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Listen here... I'm a lady... Really... I know when we met you saw a machete crazy woman buying ammo (10mm, the only kind worth buying) and you thought "whoa, I gotta get outta here".... But I highly dislike the fact that a lot of people think women can't handle the big ones. LOL read that fast. The bottom line is 10mm and .45 are the only handguns I have and I truly prefer the 10mm.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A hand loaded .45super at .460rowland velocities does the same thing just more of it. And it works in some off the shelf .45acp pistols. 10mm pistols are exactly common, Glock sucks and Delta Elites crack frames.

The problem with the .45 Super is it was exact dimentions as the APC and no matter how many warnings you would put on a box of Super, some bonehead would load it in an old GI 1911 or a Lama etc.

The problem with the .45 Super is it was exact dimentions as the APC and no matter how many warnings you would put on a box of Super, some bonehead would load it in an old GI 1911 or a Lama etc.

Hence the hand loading part ;). Not much if any factory loaded .45super out there.

One of those forgotten loads like .400 Cor Bon.

Didn't the .400 Cor Bon compare to the 10mm in velocity?

.400 corbon was designed to duplicate 10mm ballistics in a .45 pistol. Similar to the .40S&W/.357sig relationship, just drop in a barrel in a .45acp and that's all that's needed to convert to .400corbon.

And even more forgotten is the .40 super. It's a .45super case (which is made stronger in key areas but otherwise physically identical to .45acp) necked down to .40 cal. Edited by nightrunner

I'd be down if there was a bullet that took advantage of all that extra recoil, but since it never took off as much as 9mm/40/45 there's little motivation to really push it to it's limits with a bullet designed specifically for the velocities the 10mm can achieve.  As far as I know a lot of the available loads utilize bullets designed for .40 velocities and are essentially over-driven past their optimal expansion windows leading to poor weight retention and pedals folded back on themselves in a lot of cases reducing the diameter of the permanent cavity.

I think it would be interesting to design a caliber based on desired terminal effects first (ie, 12-15" penetration but with reliable average of 1" expansion) and see what interesting combinations people come up with to achieve those ends.

Edited by Refleks