German Shepard/Corgi mix needs a loving home

NoBanStan

After losing our family Shelty of 14 years, we took a long break in his honor. After about a year we decided that we were going to get a rescue dog. After an exhaustive search I found Dodger at a humane shelter in Sparta TN as a 6 week old puppy. He was lost to us in transit for a few days when the shelter sent him to the Nashville Humane Society. After annoying every employee there, they finally decided to let me know when he was going to be released from getting neutered. I picked him up the next day and how grateful we were to have him. He's loving, playful and active.

He's 5 months old now and we've learned some lessons. 

1.) He's way more active than we are and that's not fair to him. See, we're "on the go" types and that's to work, scouts, baseball, basketball, dance, etc. We had grown so accustomed to our previous lapdog that it was easy to overlook how much he needed to run. We have plans to buy a new home soon but that's not until early next year, so we currently don't have a fenced yard. Leashing him is fruitless, he just sits and barks.

2.) Since he was part corgi and had tiny paws, we presumed he would be little. He's not enormous by any means but much larger than we expected.

3.) Potty training has been difficult for us. We're gone so often that by the time we get home we're running out the door with him peeing on the way...

We really love him but I feel like he's missing something we can't provide right now. We really have given it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that we want to seek a better home for him. Trust me, I have 2 children and I've had to have the talk with them about it.... so I've definitely thought it out.

He's fully up to date on his shots. We regulate his diet, he gets Purina One twice a day, 2 cups, he's never even been fed table scraps. He's also crate trained. If we give him a treat, he runs right back into his crate to enjoy it.

That being said, we're looking for a loving individual or family who would want to romp and play with is energetic guy. For the record, by energetic I don't mean he's crazy... but he IS part Shepard, so things like fetch and wrestling are right up his alley.

w7c66f.jpgThis is Dodger about a month ago taking a nap with me

2j5fl0n.jpg

The eyebrows and big Corgi ears crack me up.

2w73f4w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Moderators

After losing our family Shelty of 14 years, we took a long break in his honor. After about a year we decided that we were going to get a rescue dog. After an exhaustive search I found Dodger at a humane shelter in Sparta TN as a 6 week old puppy. He was lost to us in transit for a few days when the shelter sent him to the Nashville Humane Society. After annoying every employee there, they finally decided to let me know when he was going to be released from getting neutered. I picked him up the next day and how grateful we were to have him. He's loving, playful and active.

He's 5 months old now and we've learned some lessons. 

1.) He's way more active than we are and that's not fair to him. See, we're "on the go" types and that's to work, scouts, baseball, basketball, dance, etc. We had grown so accustomed to our previous lapdog that it was easy to overlook how much he needed to run. We have plans to buy a new home soon but that's not until early next year, so we currently don't have a fenced yard. Leashing him is fruitless, he just sits and barks.

2.) Since he was part corgi and had tiny paws, we presumed he would be little. He's not enormous by any means but much larger than we expected.

3.) Potty training has been difficult for us. We're gone so often that by the time we get home we're running out the door with him peeing on the way...

We really love him but I feel like he's missing something we can't provide right now. We really have given it a lot of thought and came to the conclusion that we want to seek a better home for him. Trust me, I have 2 children and I've had to have the talk with them about it.... so I've definitely thought it out.

He's fully up to date on his shots. We regulate his diet, he gets Purina One twice a day, 2 cups, he's never even been fed table scraps. He's also crate trained. If we give him a treat, he runs right back into his crate to enjoy it.

That being said, we're looking for a loving individual or family who would want to romp and play with is energetic guy. For the record, by energetic I don't mean he's crazy... but he IS part Shepard, so things like fetch and wrestling are right up his alley.

This is Dodger about a month ago taking a nap with me

The eyebrows and big Corgi ears crack me up.

If my Wife and I were not renting but owners, we'd take this guy off your hands in a heartbeat. A beautiful dog!

My wife and I just re-homed our fur baby. She did a lot of work on Craigslist. Weeded out a bunch of people, met the few that we decided were normal once or twice prior to selecting one. You might have decent chance there if you want to put in the effort.  Pretty puppy.  Good luck!

If recommend contacting a German Shepard rescue and asking for help. I know she isn't full blooded but they have excellent resources and might be able to lend a hand!

That or the humane society will likely be on my list. I would prefer to meet and approve him a good owner however, which is why I came here first because it's a good community.

• Like 1

You're not full until you reach 7. LOL At least in this house. I'd take her in a heart beat but my pack only accepts puppies. It's odd but true.

I've heard the magic number is 8. :)

I haven't filled my quota of pot stirring tonight so I'm going to throw this out there... The OP said he's 5 months old so he's still a puppy. [emoji3]
  • Like 1

I've heard the magic number is 8. :)

I haven't filled my quota of pot stirring tonight so I'm going to throw this out there... The OP said he's 5 months old so he's still a puppy. [emoji3]

My guys only accept things that are smaller than them. 12 weeks tops. Less than 10 lbs. otherwise I would in a heartbeat. You aren't to 8 yet!

You aren't to 8 yet!

Yea I know but we hold ours to 4 permanents so we can still accept foster puppies. It's like a revolving kennel around here. At the time we had the mom that delivered while here, we were at 7. We fell in love with the mom so we ended up keeping her after the pups were weaned and adopted. We were at 7 again not too long ago.

We have learned it's best to take multiple puppies at once rather than just one. Multiples sleep much better at night. :)
  • Like 1

Yea I know but we hold ours to 4 permanents so we can still accept foster puppies. It's like a revolving kennel around here. At the time we had the mom that delivered while here, we were at 7. We fell in love with the mom so we ended up keeping her after the pups were weaned and adopted. We were at 7 again not too long ago.

We have learned it's best to take multiple puppies at once rather than just one. Multiples sleep much better at night. :)

You're a much better person than me. I can't give them up once I have them.

You're a much better person than me. I can't give them up once I have them.

This will be the first time I've ever had to re-home an animal... i feel terrible about it, but it has to happen. I haven't had time this week with work but this weekend I plan to maybe hit my wifes facebook for local chat groups. I dont think i'll go craigslist just yet. The shelter is an option but i'll wait until i can't wait anymore.

I would love to have him but the Queen wold never accept him and his life would not be good because of the evil queen.  I do hope you are successful in finding him a great home. They are out there. Just need to be patient as long as you can and one will come............ :up:

• Like 1

I showed this to a lady that I work with that has a Corgi and she might be interested. She is also going to let her daughter know about him. She (her daughter) is going through the veterinary program at UT and can also let other people know about him since they know of people that are willing to take animals. I will let you know.

• Like 1

I showed this to a lady that I work with that has a Corgi and she might be interested. She is also going to let her daughter know about him. She (her daughter) is going through the veterinary program at UT and can also let other people know about him since they know of people that are willing to take animals. I will let you know.

That's great! Bear in mind that we're near Nashville and I would prefer to meet the person and have them meet Dodger for a little playtime. (Just noticing the Knoxville as your location)