Leather "break in"?

Was looking at some IWB holster's at the LGS today w/ my gun for test fitting (S&W M&P 9 Compact). They had a nice Desantis leather one I tried on that was comfortable and would work for me (position wise), but was sized for Glocks, and was very-snug on mine. Store rep suggested that w/ some leather Conditioner and time + TLC, that would fit my pistol like a glove.

Do the leather holster's really break in that much, or would I be better off getting a synthetic one specifically designed for my make/model?

FWIW I am planning to carry in the small of back, 6 O'Clock position.

Thanks.

- K

he was trying to make a sale, like mentioned above^^^ you have other options, but I would select one that is molded specifically for your gun.  If the one above is not to far off in difference than your model then you cant beat the price.  Otherwise get one specific you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Leather will need to be broken in, but it does need to be make for your specific gun.

I have had a few different Galco Combat Master holsters. It is an OWB leather holster without a thumb strap or any retention. Just how I like it. The fit was great, but they squeak pretty significantly for awhile until it gets broken in. Mostly the holster against my leather belt. Just another thing to think about.

Gjohnsoniv also makes great holsters may need to get a blue gun or meet him to mold it but he made me an IWB for my G32 and it is amazing

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said Gjohnsoniv made me one for my G43 with a TLR-6 could not be more satisfied with it here is a picture of it

20151201_114301_zpsfcc2cr0i.jpg Edited by raildog
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a pocket holster for my glock 42.  they sold me a model that was not for the glock, but was perfect except it was a too snug.   I didn't feel like driving back to the store.

so after  googling it.  I found a few gun sites that suggested using plastic shopping bags to ziplock bags to expand the leather.  you have need to start out with one bag... wrap the unloaded gun in the bag put back in holster  and let it set for a few minutes to  24 hours or longer..   I think I started out with a Walmart bag then ended with 2 Walmart bags and a zip lock sandwich bag and over 48 hours.. it fits perfect now..you what to start off thin and work your way up..

from the Galco hoster site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkB171kh1Q&feature=plcp

One of the side effects of wet molding is a consolidation of the leather fibers, which “shrinks” the holster. If the fit is too tight when holstering your firearm the first time, don’t force it. If you do force the firearm into the holster, it may be very difficult to remove. Instead, follow these simple steps to break in your new holster using a process called blocking: 

1. Place the unloaded firearm in a plastic freezer bag, or cover it in 2-3 layers of plastic kitchen wrap. Do not cover the grip. 
2. Insert the bagged/wrapped firearm slowly into the holster, gently twisting it side-to-side to minimize tearing of the bag/wrap. 
3. Once the firearm is completely seated in the holster, twist it about 1/16” in both directions 6-12 times.
4. Allow the bagged/wrapped firearm to sit in the holster for about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the firearm from the holster and remove the bag/wrap from the firearm.
6. Insert the unloaded firearm into the holster, which should now be snug but not loose. If it is still too tight, repeat the above steps until the holster is broken in to your satisfaction.

From  Milt Sparks' Website site:

Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years. 

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight. Any clarifications or concerns on the above, or if you would rather we talk you through the process, then please call us.

Edited by ou812
  • Like 1