Wind Damage

Omega

So, Wednesday's wind left me a nice present.
05850303e093ee1ed137a2946af4f1c9.jpg

Not to much damage really, crushed my old 12' Jon boat.
959b55aa9fe68d9db348b0817ae738c5.jpg

And took out about a 12' section of fence on my side and probably the same on my neighbor's fence.

825e6d8596c7ef44d2fbc7057ad651fc.jpg

Now a whole lot of chainsaw work, and burning of branches. This was a cluster of three trees, now that one fell over, I see they have a hollow base so they need to come down too. Got to find an inexpensive tree service to cut the large branches which may hit the fence, I can take care of the rest myself.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Now a whole lot of chainsaw work, and burning of branches. This was a cluster of three trees, now that one fell over, I see they have a hollow base so they need to come down too. Got to find an inexpensive tree service to cut the large branches which may hit the fence, I can take care of the rest myself.

I have had a lot of tree work done in the last two years.  There is no cheap tree service.   But it is worth it to not die or to prevent more costly damage.

I found the best way to save money is to not have them haul the wood off.  People think they can turn it to firewood and make a buck but they weren't very interested in that.  I am lucky I have enough woods that they can leave it near where the tree was or dump it in a spot I keep wood and rock.

I have the fallen one under control, my stihl farm boss made short work of it.  Where I may need help/advise is the large branches on the still standing trees that are over the fence.  I use my climbing deer stand to climb the tree cutting branches on the way up, then top it off on my way down.  I cut small portions to keep the tree from swaying too much and use a harness, just in case.  I cut just enough so when the left over part is felled it lands clear of anything. 

I have the fallen one under control, my stihl farm boss made short work of it.  Where I may need help/advise is the large branches on the still standing trees that are over the fence.  I use my climbing deer stand to climb the tree cutting branches on the way up, then top it off on my way down.  I cut small portions to keep the tree from swaying too much and use a harness, just in case.  I cut just enough so when the left over part is felled it lands clear of anything.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, and that's good. But be careful...always. Climbing and cutting is risky...at best.
  • Like 1

I have the fallen one under control, my stihl farm boss made short work of it. Where I may need help/advise is the large branches on the still standing trees that are over the fence. I use my climbing deer stand to climb the tree cutting branches on the way up, then top it off on my way down. I cut small portions to keep the tree from swaying too much and use a harness, just in case. I cut just enough so when the left over part is felled it lands clear of anything.

Be careful the standing tree may not be able to support you. The worst thing would de the tree fall over with you in it. Those look like either Alanthus or Palownia, easily identifiable if i were there, just going off the pictures. Either way they aren't long lived and the amount of rot isn't discernible fro. The outside

......... Got to find an inexpensive tree service to cut the large branches which may hit the fence, I can take care of the rest myself.

Just fell them and fix more of the fence if necessary since you already have to do that anyway, might be cheaper overall?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The last time I hired a crew with a bucket truck, it was $200/hr and well worth it. In 1 hour they safely dropped 9 trees for me and I cut them up.

I could do that, $200 would definitely be worth not messing with the large overhanging branches safely.  I actually want to fell 5 trees, one black walnut, and 4 other trees I am not sure of the species, its one that has soft pulp in the smaller branches.  

Be careful the standing tree may not be able to support you. The worst thing would de the tree fall over with you in it. Those look like either Alanthus or Palownia, easily identifiable if i were there, just going off the pictures. Either way they aren't long lived and the amount of rot isn't discernible fro. The outside

Yea, that's the weird part.  Almost the entire base is rotted out, but about three feet up it is all solid and healthy looking.  When I started cutting the top, one of the large branches was also hollow.  They split in half as I cut them into two or three foot sections.  

Just fell them and fix more of the fence if necessary since you already have to do that anyway, might be cheaper overall?

- OS

If it comes to doing it myself, I'll roll back the fence before I drop the branches.  The most it will do is damage a post or two, which are easily replaced.

I could do that, $200 would definitely be worth not messing with the large overhanging branches safely.  I actually want to fell 5 trees, one black walnut, and 4 other trees I am not sure of the species, its one that has soft pulp in the smaller branches.  

Yea, that's the weird part.  Almost the entire base is rotted out, but about three feet up it is all solid and healthy looking.  When I started cutting the top, one of the large branches was also hollow.  They split in half as I cut them into two or three foot sections.  

If it comes to doing it myself, I'll roll back the fence before I drop the branches.  The most it will do is damage a post or two, which are easily replaced.

Actually sounds like Oh Shoot's idea might be the safest and best.

We have lost quite a few trees on our lot from winds, and many have been like that. A rotted base with the upper trunk still intact. Also some just the opposite, rotted from top down thru the core.

In either event, I usually cut what I can that's on the ground, then if necessary enlist help with the rest. Most of the time, it's been a bit painful financially, but much safer and easier on my poor old body.