Am I the last one to know??!!??

I think it was a push by QDMA folks to try and get bigger deer in TN.  Like I said, I don't think it is about conservation; more like $$ and trophy hunters.  Before I purchased my little lot, I looked into a few hunting leases, many had QDMA rules in place which limited what size buck you were allowed to shoot...needless to say I didn't join any of those groups.  While I can tell if a deer has horns, and maybe get an idea of how many points it MAY have, I don't want to have to guess its spread, length of tines etc. etc.

• Like 1

I passed on several small bucks this weekend.  Even passed on a pretty nice 7, the spread just wasn't that great.  I'm not much of a buck hunter, I'm in it for the meat and the best meat does not come from bucks.  Last year was the first year that I killed all 3 bucks in a season and none of them were worth bragging on.  The number of bucks has to be higher now than ever the quality just isn't there.

I thought rack spreads and quality of racks was genetic. It would seem to me that hunting leases and the TWRA would want to eliminate the bucks like the small 6, 8 or larger deer with small racks and spreads and limit the killing of larger racks for a couple of years or so to allow the better quality bucks to breed and thin the herd of the inferior deer. That's my thinking anyway.

Can I ask a newbie hunter question? When taking a doe, or several, is there any consideration for her young, or by hunting season are the young old enough to fend for themselves? Or, if they aren't, is this just part of the management process? Just curious.

For the most part, they're now old enough to fend for themselves. The young ones also make for good eating. An antlerless buck is considered the same as a doe per twra regulations, and will not count against your buck limit. It's hard to tell the difference in a hunting situation.

• Like 1
While partially genetic, antler size is also directly related to nutrition and minerals av as available as well as age. A 4pt yearling may be an 8ft 3 year old but drop to a 6 point the next year if minerals and nutrition drop.

While partially genetic, antler size is also directly related to nutrition and minerals av as available as well as age. A 4pt yearling may be an 8ft 3 year old but drop to a 6 point the next year if minerals and nutrition drop.

I think environment also has something to do with it.  In tight wooded areas there seem to be more basket racks, in areas with more open fields/farms they seem to spread out more. 

I heard today that the game warden stopped by the local processor looking for a guy that had checked in 3 deer this year. I guess he hasn't heard either!!!!

Probably my "buddy" Jereme Odom looking for low hanging fruit.

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1
QDMA works, but I can't imagine how it would work on such a large landscape. Deer with poor genetics have to be culled from the herd as well as keeping the Doe to Buck ratio healthy. But most importantly antler restrictions help insure an even distribution of Buck ages. Often in heavy hunted areas all the bucks left are yearlings leaving no mature good genetics (that are proven) to breed.

One reason Western Ky has such big bucks is because of the ample supply of food. Tons of cropland, soy beans, corn, etc.

I think the 2 buck limit is trying to preserve some of the buck population without dealing with the PR nightmare of trying to install a system with antler minimums.

TWRA certainly doesn't make decisions based on the best management of the animals. Simply see the wild hog fiasco

Yeah, that guy... I got a story too. Someone told me he had been moved to another county. 

I bet you do, when I had my run in with him I didn't even need to mention his name for those around here to know who I was talking about.  If he did move, I feel sorry for the new county; but I won't miss him.