Safe to shoot a .458 bullet out of .45 muzzle loader?

I feel kind of stupid asking this but I'd feel even stupider if I tried it and it didn't work out, that's if I lived to tell about it.  So, as the title states I have a .45 muzzle loader.  I was over at my dad's house the other day and he was loading up some 45-70 and I got to wondering if there wasn't a good reason that I couldn't shoot those 45-70 bullets out of my muzzle loader?  He was complaining that they cost about $1 a piece and I told him that was a bargain compared to what I'm paying for muzzle loader ammo.

I feel kind of stupid asking this but I'd feel even stupider if I tried it and it didn't work out, that's if I lived to tell about it.  So, as the title states I have a .45 muzzle loader.  I was over at my dad's house the other day and he was loading up some 45-70 and I got to wondering if there wasn't a good reason that I couldn't shoot those 45-70 bullets out of my muzzle loader?  He was complaining that they cost about $1 a piece and I told him that was a bargain compared to what I'm paying for muzzle loader ammo.

Should work, but I would shoot softer lead than what he is shooting out of his 45-70.  Either that or resize to within .002 overbore, otherwise getting them seated would be a bear.  I am looking to shoot .45 cal bullets out of my .50 with some sabots, Midsouth sells them for different size bullets.  Here is one for .45 using a .40 bullet: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00072H14540BR/45-Caliber-Crush-Rib-Blue-Sabots-Holds-40-Caliber-Bullets-50-Pack.  With the proper sabot and lead bullet combo you can save a good amount over purchased BP bullets.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Omega.  Let me ask you this.  Why do we use sabots?  I always figured it had something to do with being able to shoot a smaller bullet and get get more speed out of it than a larger bullet?  That is just an assumption?  I like the idea of being able to use a big heavy bullet for close range applications and a smaller faster bullet for longer range scenarios depending on where I am hunting.

Thanks for the info Omega.  Let me ask you this.  Why do we use sabots?  I always figured it had something to do with being able to shoot a smaller bullet and get get more speed out of it than a larger bullet?  That is just an assumption?  I like the idea of being able to use a big heavy bullet for close range applications and a smaller faster bullet for longer range scenarios depending on where I am hunting.

Yes, sabots let me shoot a lighter bullet in my .50, and they seem to load better due to the plastic.  I shoot 130 or 150 grain bullets in my .270 and .308, and have hit from 20 yards out to 200 yards with no issues so in my .50, since they are all over 200 grains, I have no qualms about going from 150 on down.   I haven't shot over that so that's my personal limit with BP.

I shoot .458 405 gr. Montana swaged in orange sabots from MRP in Harrison  Arkansas in my 50 cal in line. They start very easy and you can even paper patch if you want to. I got very tired of the performance of pistol bullets on whitetail. They also make 385 gr. and I just use 2  777 pellets with Remington muzzle loader 209 primers. My CVA Optima flat gets it done with no issues. If you can hit them your chasing and losing them in the woods are over. Sunfish