Accidental shooting at Florida Cracker Barrel

jgradyc

Here's the story. Guy gets up to pay his bill and his legally registered (assume this means he has a permit) handgun falls out of its holster and accidentally discharges.

http://www.guns.com/2015/11/02/man-drops-gun-at-cracker-barrel-shoots-patron-video/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=56388f0704d30172dedd42ba&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

1. If you gun can fall out of your holster, you need a new holster (or you need to fix it so it can't). If I can't turn my holster upside down, shake it, and it still retain my handgun, I modify it until it will. All it typically takes is a Chicago screw in the right place. 

2. What gun was this that goes off when dropped? I want to know so I can avoid ever buying one. News stories are so frustrating because they leave out details like this.

• Like 2

I wonder if he tried to catch it. Seems really odd (impossible) it would fire from just hitting the floor

There are many older pistols that are not drop safe depending on how they're carried. Old school 1911s are that way:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

There are many older pistols that are not drop safe depending on how they're carried. Old school 1911s are that way:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

Older revolvers will do that. My uncle's 6906 he carried with NYPD Vice also did that. Granted he threw it on the ground rather than "drop" it

(He is the same dude who chucks golf clubs)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I use to have a Jennings pocket pistol that would discharge if dropped and a buddy of mine had a Jimenez, same gun different company name had one that would also discharge if dropped. I took mine and threw it in the lake so no one else could have it and maybe kill someone. Only has 30 bucks in the gun................... :up:

This.

Older revolvers will do that. My uncle's 6906 he carried with NYPD Vice also did that. Granted he threw it on the ground rather than "drop" it

(He is the same dude who chucks golf clubs)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I dont know why, but that cracked me up  :rofl: I just pictured some dude in a funny golf outfit throwing a club while cussing.

Edited by tennesseetiger

That's true. Good point. Maybe he was carring a SAA with 6 loaded :hiding:

I've known a person, who should have known better, who carried a old 1911 which was not drop safe with a round in the chamber and the hammer down.  These days, people aren't willing to listen to reason, and will justify anything to make themselves not look stupid, which has the exact opposite effect.

I was shot in the leg when a 1911 fell to the ground INSIDE the holster. It was inside one of those military flap style holsters. It was not me nor my gun that shot me.

After the gun went off I did not realize I had been shot. As I walked around looking for bullet holes in the station I noticed my leg was numb. I though the bullet might have hit the heal of my boot and numbed my foot up. I looked down and saw white stuff hanging out of the side of the boot. I told my supervisor that I think I know where the bullet was. He asked where and I said my leg. They immediately removed the boot and applied a dressing as we waited for an ambulance. Honestly, it was at the end of my shift and I would have rather gone back home than head the hospital. It was a in and out wound that looked like a cigar burn. Never really hurt and never really bled until the doctors got involved. BTW, the white stuff hanging out of my boot was my sock.

The whole time it felt like a sore or pulled muscle. They handed me some crutches and said use them. I used them all the way out the hospital then dumped them before heading to the bar. They told me to take it easy but I was back running the following week. I would go for a run then have to stop by the clinic to have the dressing changed because running caused it to bleed some. But through the entire process it just felt like I had worked out too hard and was sore.

I still have very little feeling from the gunshot wound down the front of my leg.

I was shot in the leg when a 1911 fell to the ground INSIDE the holster. It was inside one of those military flap style holsters. It was not me nor my gun that shot me.

After the gun went off I did not realize I had been shot. As I walked around looking for bullet holes in the station I noticed my leg was numb. I though the bullet might have hit the heal of my boot and numbed my foot up. I looked down and saw white stuff hanging out of the side of the boot. I told my supervisor that I think I know where the bullet was. He asked where and I said my leg. They immediately removed the boot and applied a dressing as we waited for an ambulance. Honestly, it was at the end of my shift and I would have rather gone back home than head the hospital. It was a in and out wound that looked like a cigar burn. Never really hurt and never really bled until the doctors got involved. BTW, the white stuff hanging out of my boot was my sock.

The whole time it felt like a sore or pulled muscle. They handed me some crutches and said use them. I used them all the way out the hospital then dumped them before heading to the bar. They told me to take it easy but I was back running the following week. I would go for a run then have to stop by the clinic to have the dressing changed because running caused it to bleed some. But through the entire process it just felt like I had worked out too hard and was sore.

I still have very little feeling from the gunshot wound down the front of my leg.

You've probably long since filed the documentation pertaining to the nerve damage that resulted from that freakish gunshot wound. It should have been included in any disability payments you are receiving but if it isn't you should have that matter addressed.

In a weird way you were lucky.