Just Inherited Lots of New Firearms - Need Help Appraising

Hammer285

Hey guys,

My father-in-law just passed away suddenly today. We were over at the house trying to find documents related to life insurance, accounts and a will. While searching, I found his collection of firearms and wanted to get your collective opinions on possible values of the items in the event I were to sell them.

Personally, I would like to keep them all, but he did not have any assets (the home isn't his, no auto, no savings, no investments and it looks like no life insurance), so I'm trying to find a way to pay for the funeral and arrangements. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. There are two I believe are gems (An old S&W revolver and a U.S. Army issued Colt .45 1911). Based on the feedback and info I find in researching, these will likely be moved over to the classifieds section by the end of the week.

1. Stevens 12 GA Side-By-Side Model 5100. (There appears to be some kind of paint/talcum powder on it. Needs a good cleaning for sure.)
  2. Remington 30-06 Model 03A3
  3. High Standard MFG Co. .22 Mag Derringer Model DM-101
  4. High Standard MFG Co. .22 LR Model 103
  5. Colt .45 1911 (from either 1913 or 1919 based on S/N)
  6. S&W .38 Special Model 15-4

Pictures are below in the same order. Apologies for the random rotations - updated in photobucket, but the images retained their original direction/layout:

20151101_211813.jpg20151101_211805.jpg20151101_211801.jpg

20151101_211717.jpg

20151101_211648.jpg

20151101_211710.jpg

20151101_215534.jpg

20151101_215539.jpg

20151101_215548.jpg

20151101_211530.jpg

20151101_211523.jpg

20151101_211333.jpg

20151101_211301.jpg

20151101_211253.jpg

20151101_211403.jpg

20151101_211408.jpg

Edited by Hammer285
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss but you may be in luck I think there are more than 2 gems here. 

-Doesn't look like the 5100 is in great shape I would expect it to bring around $250 in current condition, possibly a little more if you clean it up. 

-That 03A3 is a Remington 1903 I'm no expert on the different nomenclatures of 1903s, you need to have someone that is an expert on them take a look at it so you know exactly what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if that gun brings $1000 from what I see on GB.

-That DM 101 I think should bring around $250.  There are two on GB that are in better shape for $350 but there are no bidders.  

-If that Sport King is as clean as it looks it may bring around $400, these are superb shooters.

-Your 1911 could bring better than $2000 that's another one you need to get a professional opinion of, I'm just a guy on the internet.

-Lastly, your 15-4, I think you will see $400-500 out of it.

Please don't rely on anything I've said, I'm shooting out these prices based on what I've seen and a little help from GB, I'm just trying to give you an idea of what they may bring. 

• Like 1

I really like the vintage military guns.

My thinking would be to do some research on both of them.  That 1903 is a Remington.  That may or may not make it worth more depending on how many they made and how many are still around.

One thing to do is to use Google to find out when they were made.  Getting the maximum dollars out of them will take doing some research.  

Here is an example,  I came across a vintage German K98.  Someone had done bad things to this gun.  The really big deal for K98s is their condition and whether the serial numbers match.  It turned out that the bolt was completely matching except for one piece.  

Based on the info I had from where I purchased it, I suspected that it was a fully matching gun, including the bolt.  It is almost unheard of to find a gun that matches completely, including the bolt.  It turned out I was right.

It turned out that my goal with that gun was not to sell it for the max dollar.  If that had been my goal, then doing research would have greatly increased its value.

My next point is far from scientific.  It seems to me that you are more likely to get full dollar for the .45 and the 30-06 if you post them on TGO as well as boards that specialize in vintage military guns.  

Good luck!

Thank you all for the information and advice. I'm going to get some more detailed pictures of the 1911 and 1903 and possibly take it to a local shop to have an expert confirm whether all the parts are original and give me an idea of the condition these would be considered.

If I post them to the classifieds, I'll let you know.

Older S&W revolvers are very hot in the collector market right now. Your 15-4 would have been made between 1977 and 82. The target hammer and trigger will bring a slight premium.  Judging by the pics, it appears to be in excellent condition. Easily a $500 - 600 gun,

The 1911 is an early WW I model. Serial number dates it to 1913. A very desirable collector's piece. However, Colt collectors can be a finicky lot and small details can make a big difference. A big plus in your favor is that it does appear to be all original, but the finish is worn. Best guess would be $2000+. This one really needs a professional appraisal. 

BTW: If that is an original WW I issue holster, its worth a pretty good amount on its own. 

If you really want to get top dollar, do some research and list them on an auction site with as many details as possible. 

I can't speak to the condition of all the guns listed, but I do know a bit about 1911 pistols. Unfortunately, the pistol you have pictured has a commercial model (civilian) slide on an M1911 (GI issued) frame from the first big production run in 1913. Being mismatched or rebuilt (see below), this kills all the real collector value. Originality is key with collectible 1911s, so this is not going to be a $2,000 pistol.

The frame looks to have been parkerized, pointing to an Arsenal Rebuild. The commercial slide might have been sourced after the original cracked from shooting over the years. Early model slides were not properly heat treated. This commercial model slide might have actually been used in the Arsenal rebuild, as there were times when the Army had to contract with Colt for new slides years down the road. The slide has 1946-1955 markings, however the "Calibre" spelling was supposedly discontinued in 1949. I know the Army had a contract for replacement slides in 1951, so there is a small chance that may be where this one came from, but with the "Calibre" spelling I don't think that is very likely. Also the finish looks different from the frame in the pictures. Both should be parkerized if it is an Arsenal Rebuild gun. The slide looks like it still has bluing left. Some folks can tell the difference from a commercial model slide and those sold to the Army in '51, but it would take a hands on inspection or some really, really, good photos. There are some differences in milling marks, but otherwise they look exactly the same.

Keep in mind that the last M1911A1 pistol was produced in 1945. The military has operated on existing inventory since then. There are still old warhorses being used on deployments today even though the Beretta was adopted 30 years ago in 1985.

So what you have with the 1911 is a shooter-grade pistol, but the right buyer might give a little bit more than a shooter price if the slide can be traced to an Arsenal rebuild. It's worth whatever someone will pay, but you may find that you have more value in parts than trying to sell the assembled pistol as is. I would encourage you to post very detailed pictures on 1911forum.com in the Vintage/USGI section. Make special note of all the markings and stamps on the frame and small parts, including the barrel. The magazine might also be valuable if of the right vintage. Some of the most well known collectors in the world are active on that site and will give you more guidance than I can. Edited by quickbiscuit
  • Like 2

All great information guys, thanks a lot. I have been doing some research as well and will be keeping the Colt, Remington and Smith & Wesson.

The two Hi Standards (Derringer and Sport King) will be posted in the Classifieds once I get some better pictures and have a cousin of that side of the family who indicated the Stevens was their Grandpa's before it was my father-in-laws, so I wanted that to stay in their family.

I'll post links to the classifieds once the other two are posted. 

Your 1903A3 was produced in July 1943. 

The barrel date will be located on the top of the barrel right behind the front sight.  There are several parts of the rifle that can be ID as to its production, but that requires a detail inspection.  

I'm in the Mt. Juliet area and would be more than happy to look over your rifle and provide whatever insight I can in regard to its condition and correctness.  Since I already own several 03s, you won't have to worry about me trying to low-ball you to buy it.

Best of all....., if found to be in good condition we can go shoot it!   

• Like 1

All great information guys, thanks a lot. I have been doing some research as well and will be keeping the Colt, Remington and Smith & Wesson.

The two Hi Standards (Derringer and Sport King) will be posted in the Classifieds once I get some better pictures and have a cousin of that side of the family who indicated the Stevens was their Grandpa's before it was my father-in-laws, so I wanted that to stay in their family.

I'll post links to the classifieds once the other two are posted.

Good choice. :up: Edited by Wingshooter

That old Stevens was made during the war. It has a plastic stock and these rarely are offered for sale. I have only seen one other and it was a single barrel. I would wipe it off real good, load it and sit it in the corner. Sunfish

I just posted the two High Standard pistols in the Classifieds section in case anyone is interested:

I wish I was in the Nashville area to take that Sport King. I'm no expert on these, but seems like I have seen them for a lot higher prices. Perhaps an older model I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ramjo

I wish I was in the Nashville area to take that Sport King. I'm no expert on these, but seems like I have seen them for a lot higher prices. Perhaps an older model I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ramjo.

I checked recently sold auctions of the same model and condition and this was around the ballpark they have been going for. I also thought it would be worth more.

If they don't sell within a week or so, I'll just grab another safe to toss them in and see if their value goes up in time.

• Like 1