Buying from Blade HQ?

Ditto Willis and Nightrunner on the S&W Knives. And that's hard for me to say as I'm a HUGE Smith fan... so say a pile of my pistols and the Tshirts in my closet. I've had 7 or 8 S&W knives from $10-$80. All junk. Taylor Brands makes all their stuff, I believe. Like Nightrunner said, great at first but no lasting quality.

I hope your experience is different... but I doubt it. :/

Yes, I know Smith & Wesson doesn’t make knives and most are just marketing stuff. But I saw quite a few good reviews on the 1600BT. Of course I understand, just like with guns; a low price will sometimes cause a good review for something that’s not really very good.

The Taiwan S&W I don’t expect much out of; but it’s $30.

I can’t justify $200 or $300 for a knife. So I’m looking for something of quality in the $100 or less range and trying to stay with knives made here. That may be an unrealistic goal; but we will see. biggrin.gif

Yes, I know Smith & Wesson doesn’t make knives and most are just marketing stuff. But I saw quite a few good reviews on the 1600BT. Of course I understand, just like with guns; a low price will sometimes cause a good review for something that’s not really very good.

I can’t justify $200 or $300 for a knife. So I’m looking for something of quality in the $100 or less range and trying to stay with knives made here. That may be an unrealistic goal; but we will see. biggrin.gif

I had owned just cheap gerbers and kershaws before, cheap Walmart knives. After that smith I was a bit aggravated, so I went to Bass Pro and dropped right at $100 on a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. Best knife purchase made to date, that is one tough knife and I learned later that the Axis lock is one of if not THE best in the industry.

Plus now you can get a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian with a S30V blade and the color of scales you want. There are also aftermarket parts made for them as they are so popular, clips, hardware, custom scales, custom blades, etc.
  • Like 1

I hate to say this but every Smith and Wesson knife that I have ever seen in my life ( Several) was not worth a darn, they lend their name to the cheapest manufactures in the world so that many folks that love their guns would buy them, unfortunately they do not use quality USA manufacturers

Yep, my take on SW knives, along with most all the other firearm company branded ones, is that any under $30 are junk and any over $30 are overpriced. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Do explain .

I am a Protech knife dealer and the one who does the TGO Protech knives, the next TGO knife will be delivered in May 2016 and it will be a Carbon Fiber BR1 or Magic as everyone else knows them.

I was one of the first people in the world to get a Pre Production BR1 knife. I had the knife two weeks before it was announced as Dave wanted my input on the knife after carrying if for a spell.

I sold that one to some lucky guy on this forum just because I wanted to be generous and let someone enjoy it for a good price. I have 3 now and am awaiting a special custom one that Dave at Protech made for me, I will post pics when I get it

These knives are perfect to carry I carry one of mine a lot
  • Like 1

Guys hold off on this knife, they are truly amazing and It will be our next TGO knife, you all will love the one I am doing

So stoked! I held the knife you sold to said lucky TGOer and it is AWESOME! Super excited for whatever TGO goodness you've got coming our way!

Any one have the Protech magic design? Im about ready to pull the trigger .Any negatives ?

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Protech-Magic-BR-1-Whiskers--27390

This is a nice knife.  The two tone blade looks great.  No button to cause an accidental opening in your pocket, which is good as mine is extremely sharp.

Only negative - Everyone keeps trying to buy mine!

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 2

When the knife law changed in this backward ass state I ordered a AK74 auto knife from Blade HQ.

It shipped and I got it in a few days.

There is not a bad thing I can say about the company.

The AK74 is a good knife, Mike. I've had one for general use and pocket carry for quite a while. It has held up well under the abuse I give a carry knife. Cardboard, tape, even some fiber-reinforced boxes, and it cuts all.

Mine does need a little sharpening now though.

Guys hold off on this knife, they are truly amazing and It will be our next TGO knife, you all will love the one I am doing

For sure? I've been looking at the BR1 this morning and getting real close to making an order.

After re-reading all these posts again...I really am tempted to just go ahead and order one for now.

I have a feeling the "willis special" might just be too nice to carry. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Yes it really hurts on the 200 side for a knife, Dave. I agonized long and hard over my first Protech thru willis. That's well on the way to a case of ammo for me. But I have gotten a few of them and they are very good quality.

Truthfully, I don't carry most of them. So it is a bit of a stretch for me to tie up so much in several pocket knives, but I have been really pleased with them and don't regret buying any of them.

I do however, look very hard at them before jumping in. I look for the same knife where possible and check it out, both online and in hand, so to speak, where possible.

As in the case of the BR1, I've found it very attractive, and reviews from users, and people I know seem to indicate this is a very good buy.

I'm going to get one, I'm sure. And this from a guy who has carried 30-50 buck Gerbers all my life.
I guess I should add, when I finally met Dave the owner of Protech after conducting my business with him at the last Blade Show I Asked him to show me his personal carry knife,

He removed it from his pocket and handed it to me, It was a Carbon Fiber BR1 very similar to the one I will be offering as the next TGO knife

For sure? I've been looking at the BR1 this morning and getting real close to making an order.

After re-reading all these posts again...I really am tempted to just go ahead and order one for now.

I have a feeling the "willis special" might just be too nice to carry.

Get both.  I expect the ones Willis68 is planning will be too nice for everyday use.

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered multiple times between Blade HQ and Blade Ops.  Both are fantastic with their speed of shipment and packaging.  

My latest carry from them is listed in my signature.  Two Tone Black Tanto Blade Mircrotech Auto Combat Troodon with black handle.

I would not hesitate ordering from these two dealers what so ever!

Edited by MWD9557

When the knife law changed in this backward ass state I ordered a AK74 auto knife from Blade HQ.

It shipped and I got it in a few days.

There is not a bad thing I can say about the company.

The AK74 is a good knife, Mike. I've had one for general use and pocket carry for quite a while. It has held up well under the abuse I give a carry knife. Cardboard, tape, even some fiber-reinforced boxes, and it cuts all.

Mine does need a little sharpening now though.

I picked up an AK74 Tanto at SMKW, shortly after the new knife law went into effect.  I think it's a great value for the money.  I carry it often and have zero problems out of it, other than the paint is starting to wear off  the edges of the aluminum scales.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--619

I picked up an AK74 Tanto at SMKW, shortly after the new knife law went into effect.  I think it's a great value for the money.  I carry it often and have zero problems out of it, other than the paint is starting to wear off  the edges of the aluminum scales.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--619

I haven't had that happen. Lucky one for me?