Homemade "hybrid" holster

tercel89

I made a homemade "hybrid" holster from Kydex and leather. I made it to be worn inside the waistband. I used some thick scrap leather and a Kydex shell made to fit a full size 1911. I got some machine screws and T-Nuts and bought a pair of belt clips.

It works very well just like my Alien Gear holsters. I just need to go back and get the ink marks off from me marking the leather when I cut it. I am thinking maybe alcohol will get the ink off. I am goig to go back and smooth out the edges some too.

Anyways , it fits awesomely and here's a picture of it.

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/homemade%20holster_zps2x59aoei.jpg.html]homemade%20holster_zps2x59aoei.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

it looks nice and good definition in the dex, I wouldn't use alcohol on the leather to try and remove the ink marks.  From the looks of it the leather has not been treated with any neats foot oil,  in the event it hasn't I would treat it with some, and it will have a tendency to darken the leather some and might hide the ink marks, or you might be stuck living with it.  

• Like 2

it looks nice and good definition in the dex, I wouldn't use alcohol on the leather to try and remove the ink marks.  From the looks of it the leather has not been treated with any neats foot oil,  in the event it hasn't I would treat it with some, and it will have a tendency to darken the leather some and might hide the ink marks, or you might be stuck living with it.  

I have a pint of 100% real neatsfoot oil . I may do that today. I was gonna do it for sure around the exposed edges where I cut the leather. But Thanks for the idea. I just dont want to soften it too much.

Edited by tercel89

Looks great!

I agree with Ron Padilla about not using alcohol on leather and about the neatsfoot oil. I love that stuff!

Now that you've made one, if you're anything like me, you'll want to make one for all your guns.

• Like 1

Great job! I noticed you did the same thing I did... moving the belt clips closer together than on the Alien Gear holster. To me, that made a noticeable improvement in the fit.  You could consider cutting the leather in the lower right of your picture along the bottom ink line to eliminate it. After that, I'd just leave the other lines.  

By the way, I've ordered a pair of these belt clips to replace my existing clips like yours.   https://ulticlip.com/

My pet peeve with my dual belt clip holster is that it is hard to get the holster on. Hopefully, these clips will speed up the process.  I'll start a thread to let everyone know how they worked.

• Like 1
BigK if you go knifekits.com, or diyholsters.com or ifi.com you can find all of the hardware that you need to finish most any type Dex, or leather holster, as well as other projects you are working on Kydedexpro.com is another good source of info. I go there with some questions but some people there are quick to nock a newby for not using the search feature. Good luck

Actually, I would not use neatsfoot oil.  That looks like veg-tan leather and neatsfoot oil can cause leather to breakdown over time and it would likely stain your clothes. I do custom leather work and I never use the stuff for anything.

Although I'm a leather "purist," it looks like a good job molding that kydex, especially profiling the edges of the holster body.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Like 1
I don't want to start a peeing match but if it is veg tanned and dry any major hilster maker would indicate that once it is worked it needs to have oil injected back in to the leather or it is going to dry out and degrade faster and sooner than later, but being the purist you are, I am probably wrong and you are right so the OP should figure it out on his own so that he cant come back and say so and so said to do it that way.

BigK if you go knifekits.com, or diyholsters.com or ifi.com you can find all of the hardware that you need to finish most any type Dex, or leather holster, as well as other projects you are working on Kydedexpro.com is another good source of info. I go there with some questions but some people there are quick to nock a newby for not using the search feature. Good luck

I've bought a few pieces of hardware here and there from those guys too when I need only a few of something. I tend to buy larger quantities of parts, so I'm always looking for just the right part at just the right price in bulk.

Tell me more about the screws you used, please. They look like hex screws and appear to fit inside finishing washers. I'd like to get my hands on some of those.

They are regular machine screws that fit into these things called T-Nuts. They have a threaded protrusion that goes into the leather and sticks out on the other side. They also have spikes that hold them securely into the leather. I'm gonna post a few pictures below of the back side and you'll see them from the front and back .

You can get them at Lowes in the hardware section those little drawers that have all kinds of fasteners and such .

Edited by tercel89

Here is the front and back . I rubbed some Neatsfoot Oil on it and it darkened it pretty good. It gave it a nice rustic look i think. I couldn't get the ink pen marks off but I don't care cause its about function , not fashion.

BigK , here are the nuts that the screws go into  , you can see the front and backs of them . The yarn is from where I have been letting it hang to dry out some after putting the Neatsfoot Oil on it.

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/homemade%20holster1_zps2yuluqqi.jpg.html]homemade%20holster1_zps2yuluqqi.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/homemade%20holster2_zpstzgjr53y.jpg.html]homemade%20holster2_zpstzgjr53y.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89