My 10 Gun Show Observations & Questions

Guest wordsworth

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look for the potato???

I think we should justa ll wear t shirts with our avatars and screen names on them so we can know when we see people we know on the forum :D

That would be quite convenient lol! Although you can get to know people on here well enough through meet and shoots and deals and whatnot.

Guest oldhack62

I was pleasantly surprised at the Smyrna show a week ago. From previous reports, I expected one or two tables of guns, and a bunch of collectible knife and food vendors.

Instead, there were three solid aisles of firearms, et al offered. I bought some well-priced ammo in 9mm and 45-caliber hollow-point, at prices that were certainly no more than I'd pay elsewhere, and certifiably less than I'd pay in my locality. Additionally, I handled some pistols I've had an eye on, while not purchasing one, but still gaining some 'hands-on' experience for future shopping.

Worth the admission? I thought so, but who knows? I know I've certainly paid $7.50 for movies I wish I hadn't seen, so I'm no worse off than that, anyway.

My take on your questions based on 40 years of gunshows across the South and West (mostly TN and TX):

1. Why in the world is the entrance fee so high, $10- $9 with a coupon? After spending that kind of money, any deal you might find no longer is a deal. Plus, I didn't find many deals as a person looking to buy a gun for self defense. I think most of the deals found are for the collector who buys guns that no longer shoot, or for guns which the ammo is no longer made.

Simple capitalism. RK ran the competition out of the business (along with some suicidal help from said competition) and can charge whatever the market will bear. Note the crowded aisles and long lines to get in; until that changes, prices wont go down.

2. Why do some vendors charge tax? Are taxes charged yard sales?

All of the 'dealers' charge tax. Thats law and if they dont comply, its at their own risk. Some just like to tack it on to a posted price if they think they can bully the buyer. Some charge everyone, everytime- these guys I have no problem with, but I also tend to not deal with them as they rarely have decent prices anyway. I assume that unless a tax sign is displayed that any price of a used item is OTD(out the door price) and if he tries to add tax, I walk on the deal. Makes them mad, but screw 'em if they dont like it.

One other thing: if they charge me 'tax', I DEMAND a recipt. They mess with me, I mess with them.

3. Do any of the vendors really BUY guns? I eavesdropped numerous gun toters attempting to sell their guns, and no vendor was having it. The only offer was a trade if even that. The advertisement says buy, sell, trade.

No, they are only there to rape those with lessor knowledge of firearms when it comes to trading, of Especially buying from a walkin. If you want to sell, just ignore anyone with a dealer tag- and if he tries to meet your price, then you have priced your item too low. Raise it until he balks and then add a bit more for a fair sales price.

4. I like to eavesdrop on the various discussions going on and why is the most used word at these shows the word "Obama"?

You hear a lot in a crowded show whether you want to or not. Obama is the most dangerous enemy gun owners have at the moment.

5. Can they really sell oozies and automatic weapons at these things, aren't those illegal?

Semi autos are legal (subject to fed and state laws) and full autos are legal (subject to state and federal laws and federal registration/tax). Read the NFA board on this site for more info. Good folks over that that can answer your further questions better than I can.

6. It seems like 80% of the gun show stuff is for gun collectors.

I'd say the %age is lower when you consider the jerky, flea market and dead indian stuff. Do not buy anything from these people and maybe theyll go away. (doubtful)

7. Isn't it dangerous buying a gun from a randon "out of town" guy traveling from city to city with the gun show? It seems better to buy from someone local who you can go to after you find you gun is faulty or even dangerous.
Most warranties will be thru the manufacturer only even from a local brick store. You can check the functioning well enough for the basics anyway.
8. I think all of the guns and even the rifles were too expensive. Much better deals can be found elsewhere, ie internet.

Well.....kinda. Your internet finds must be better than mine. This site and pirate ads on craigslist are the best internet deals I've found and they are not what I'd call 'great'. Gun people tend to know what they can get from a noob and that is a too high price. IME, the best prices are from individual sellers (the show attendees).

9. These shows are awash in knives, and even the knives are too expensive for my taste and a spiraling economy.

Amen, brother. I wish theyd put all of these guys in their own area so I wouldnt have to waste my energy walking past their expensive junk.
10. What nerve a vendor has to NOT place a price on his items. That means he wants too much and is ashamed of his prices.

Kinda. It means either that it is:

1) soooooo high priced that he is ashamed to post it; or

2) he is gonna try and screw you based on his 'read' of how much you know.

I avoid these guys or lowball them just to piss them off and waste their time.

Anyway, thats what I think. Apologies to anyone I've offended (unless you sell nongun crap at gunshows).

Edited by krater
spelling and grammer
hey krater,

thanks for sharing all of those great gun show observations-- you sound like a scamming dealer's worst nightmare. :D

I dont claim to be smart, just opinionated.;)

Really tho, theres nothing there that most gunshow regulars wouldnt tell you.

And please dont get me wrong, theres some great folks/dealers at these shows. Gwen and Margie of JSE, the guy at Crazy Horse, the guy that has been carrying around that Raptor 6x night vision scope for several years trying to sell it (fair price imo) and others. I've made many friends over the years that I look forward to seeing/chatting with at the shows.

Edited by krater