Craig's new weird gun

graycrait

I'd carry one Ginseng hunting to dispatch snakes and for two legged varmint protection. Small, light weight and you could carry a .45 in one barrel and birdshot in the other. I'd love to have one

Sent from behind the anvil

Small, light weight and you could carry a .45 in one barrel and birdshot in the other.

They are not exactly small nor lightweight.

I have always been a fan of derringers. My dad had a Davis 22lr derringer when I was younger and it was fun. I don't think I have ever carried one as a sole means of defense. I favor the American Derringer over the Bonds. I think that the 45/410 combo is really about the only caliber worth owning.

They are not exactly small nor lightweight.

Compared to what else I could carry with that versatility it is relatively small and light. My only other options for a snake gun would be a .38/.357 with shot shells, a .410 single shot, or a Judge style revolver which are all heavier and bigger than a derringer.

Sent from behind the anvil
As long as you got it cheap!

Really, I've liked the idea of derringers, but never really seriously tried to buy one. I have a friend with one of the early 60's High Standard Derringers in 22 mag that I'd like to talk her out of, but she loves it.

Fired a 38 round thru one some time ago, and I know it's just me, but I didn't like it.

But should one fall into my hands, I probably would keep it.

I had a Cobra .38. Its main asset was that it always went bang.

I couldn't be confident I could hit COM with it past 6 feet, so I wouldn't think I could hit a snake head even with shot shell unless I was close enough to get bit in the first place. :)

But a Cobra ain't a Bond either, and a .38 shot shell ain't 410 either, so...

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I have the Bond Arms Ranger 2 and really like it. Carry it in the woods, but also have carried it for SD. I actually carried it to the NRA show in April...met the president of the company. Very high quality firearms.

For snakes they recommend .45LC snake shot but I have not found any. I normally carry #4 bird shot (high brass). For SD I have 3" 000 buckshot from Federal. It kicks like a SOB. If you shoot little airweight revolvers, it is a little worse than that. At 10 yards it will cover about 7-8". Top cylinder fires high, bottom cylinder fires low but it all stays on a paper target. I also have some Winchester silver tip .45LC that I like. Lots of ammo, types sizes and variety. It is a little heavy but the Bond Arms Driving (BAD) holster is easy to conceal and awesome for driving...seat belt is not in the way. Good luck with it, B Edited by Bassoneer

I've always like the Bond Arms Derringers even though they're a bit larger then some others because they are so well built. But the cost coupled with deciding on the right caliber always kept me on the fence. Now that you have the basic gun itself you can purchase different caliber barrels. The 45 Colt most assuredly does let you know you've fired it, so does a .410 slug round but that's a lot of lead going down range.

I used to have a little High Standard .22mag derringer.  Good little gun.  Can't see me spending the bucks on a Bond Arms though.  I can get a lot more pistol for the money with something else and it might even be a little lighter.

Thanks folks.  The price I am paying for the gun and ammo is fair to both parties and allows me to have this for a while to satisfy my curiosity and then trade or sell it later without too much buyer's remorse.  I like to try out nicely crafted firearm handgun machinery just for the fun of it if I can afford it.  

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  The price I am paying for the gun and ammo is fair to both parties and allows me to have this for a while to satisfy my curiosity and then trade or sell it later without too much buyer's remorse.  I like to try out nicely crafted firearm handgun machinery just for the fun of it if I can afford it.  

My problem is that I have a hard time letting go if I buy them. Then I get all crazy and start selling and totally regret it afterward.