Fisherman Killed on Percy Priest lake boat ramp!!!

• Admin Team

That's awful!

I've all but quit fishing Priest.  Between the traffic on the lake and the general sketchiness of a lot of the ramps and surrounding lots, I've about had it with the lake.  Add to the fact that I actually hit a submerged car in 2013 and I just don't have much use for it anymore.

There are a lot of really good under pressured rivers around that I find more enjoyable - especially in the kayak.

• Like 1

Tony from Strategic Edge sent out an email earlier today as the victim was a well known member of SE.  Goes to show it can happen to anyone.  I admit I probably don't pay attention as much as I should at times, but this makes you re-evaluate your surroundings more carefully, at least for a while.

• Like 1

Boat ramps and parking areas are scary during the week.  Lots of creeps sitting in their trucks by themselves.  I have had my truck tool box vandalized because they couldn't gain entry. 

Very sad for the gentleman.  I am on guard more than most when at the boat ramp. 

• Like 1
I have launched my little Otter Stealth duck boat at that ramp a few times in the past. Don't think I'll be going back. Just to have your vehicle broken into takes all of the enjoyment out of a fishing trip... or the worry that it might be broken into while you're in the river fishing. Sympathy to the family.

Back when I was fishing with my son in law we only used Seven Points launch ramp because it is well lit at night. Also when I would approach the dock to load at 1 or 2 AM I would do a scan of the entire parking area and woods around it before letting my Son In law out on the dock to get the trailer. In case I have not shown the front of my Skeeter on here I have a pair of Airliner Landing lights mounted on the front that will light up a football field and are really hard to actually look into directly so when I turn them on things do light up a lot. I also hand him one of my pistols I have in the boat to walk to the truck with and I keep the lights on with gun in hand to back him up. I worry about him fishing alone now with my eye sight but he now will take a friend along and he does same procedure and now has his own HCP and packs his own heat.

• Like 2

I hate to hear this. I stopped fishing that ramp 10 years or so ago. I usually fish out of fate sanders or stewart creek ramp. When I am walking to my truck I make sure to scan the area both day and night. At night I have a 500 Lumen flashlight that will light up the parking lot pretty well.  I am with you Mac. I usually fish out of my Yak in some of the smaller rivers but they can be sketchy too. I had friends fishing around the 840 bridge when this happened, they heard it and then the sirens later. Terrible thing to happen to someone. 

I hate to hear this. I stopped fishing that ramp 10 years or so ago. I usually fish out of fate sanders or stewart creek ramp. When I am walking to my truck I make sure to scan the area both day and night. At night I have a 500 Lumen flashlight that will light up the parking lot pretty well.  I am with you Mac. I usually fish out of my Yak in some of the smaller rivers but they can be sketchy too. I had friends fishing around the 840 bridge when this happened, they heard it and then the sirens later. Terrible thing to happen to someone. 

I have never fish out of Mona Boat ramp. Always seemed to isolated for my taste. I seldom put in at Fate Sanders even though one of my good friends owns that Fate Sanders Marina. I knew Big John back when he ran it and now Little John owns it and i still won't launch from there because of that way the parking lot is isolated from the marina. If I can't see my tow vehicle from the water I won't launch there.  That is one of the reasons I like Seven Points. Well lit all night and you can scan the entire parking area from the lake with your boat headlights. There has been a few times we came in and there was two cars parked at the end of the lot with no trailers on either so I just sat out in the water with my boat headlights kinda trained on the cars. Within about 5 minutes or less both cars stated up and left. We wanted about 5 minutes to make sure they weren't coming back before I drop Tommy off to go get the trailer backed in and I sat lined up and ready to load soon as the trailer was in the water with my gun in my hand.............. :squint:

I have never fish out of Mona Boat ramp. Always seemed to isolated for my taste. I seldom put in at Fate Sanders even though one of my good friends owns that Fate Sanders Marina. I knew Big John back when he ran it and now Little John owns it and i still won't launch from there because of that way the parking lot is isolated from the marina. If I can't see my tow vehicle from the water I won't launch there.  That is one of the reasons I like Seven Points. Well lit all night and you can scan the entire parking area from the lake with your boat headlights. There has been a few times we came in and there was two cars parked at the end of the lot with no trailers on either so I just sat out in the water with my boat headlights kinda trained on the cars. Within about 5 minutes or less both cars stated up and left. We wanted about 5 minutes to make sure they weren't coming back before I drop Tommy off to go get the trailer backed in and I sat lined up and ready to load soon as the trailer was in the water with my gun in my hand.............. :squint:

i'm not a huge Fate Sanders fan but I have started fishing out of it more this year. If I fish at night when I walk to my truck I have the pistol in my hand, it's holstered but still in my hand. i never make it to 7 points so I can't speak on that. I know when I pull up to a ramp in my bass boat I have my headlights on, in the kayak I scan it with a flashlight.