Another SKS

Guest RISC777

Guest tnmale46
Might have to shoot my neighbor's dog.

UPS order left at the door, she takes it off to chew it up.

Doesn't chew up stuff I don't care about, nooo. Chews up a new sling, AK/SKS sight tool, etc.

* sigh*

shoot the sob dogs like that really irritate me
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
Stampings:

SKS 7.62X39MM MADE IN CHINA

C14 9140381

with

40381 on the side of the butt and on the bolt

No receiver star.

So, 1965 should be year of mfr. (if it came from arsenal 26 - need to determine arsenal of origin first).

nice find. 1970 mfg. a rifle built for export. could have easily been intended for North Vietnam and probably was, but Vietnam switched to buying only AK's in late 1968/early 1969. Prior to 1968, it wasn't uncommon to find eastern block "lend/lease" weapons of all kinds (98ks and mg43s captured by russia from the nazi's for instance, and Russian and Chinese Nagants), Other countries were losing interest in the SKS about this time. Held in stores until the US market opened up in the 1980's. This door was closed in the 1990's as Norinco and Polytech (the two govt. corps. of china set up to export sks and aks),had a wee bit of a problem with full auto's sneaking in in otherwise "legal" shipments (remember, most Chinese AK's were built as full-auto machineguns and then altered to semi-auto before importation. A few hundred apparently were missed by Chinese QC and caught by the BATF).

My chinese SKS's are a 1972 Mfg and import to the US and a 1956 "capture" from Vietnam.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
crookston, determining '70 as mfr year, how did you deduce that (just curious)?

Serial # "C14 9140381". 1956+14= 1970. The "C" prefixes were export guns. However, the same rule applied to all type56 rifles (1956 was the date of adoption of the SKS for China, hence the "type56" name tag), as far as mfg dates. A gun might have been manufactured right along side it in the Arsenal #26 serial #14 9140381, it would have been intended for the chinese army (not very likely at this stage, but possible). My 1956 carbine is serial #240111. They were produced at a rate of around 800,000 to 1,000,000 a year beginning in 1956. In 1957, the serial # would have been serial # 01 240111, 1958 #02 240111, and in 1970 would would have been #14 240111... Since your rifle came directly from China to the US in the 1980's, it is only an assumption it was part of a NVA cancelled contract.

C prefix guns have been found all over the world, from Iraq to North Africa to Argentina. They were quite popular in their day (1970's). Also guns without the "C" prefix have been noted, but less frequently. I suspect these latter guns where taken from military store to suppliment contracts, but I have no way of proving that. My son sent me several pictures of C prefixed guns he'd confiscated in Mosul and Bagdad. When it cost $25.00 for an AK, an SKS could be had from China for $10.00! When the import restrictions were lifted in the US, these $10.00 rifles where sold to the general public at $49.00!

I think SKS rifles are the next lugers on the collector market. Especially the Chinese and Russian examples. They are not only excellent weapons, but hold a lot of cold war history. Especially the Chinese, which where produced from 1956-1986 with several interesting variations.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest RISC777
crookston, determining '70 as mfr year, how did you deduce that (just curious)?
Thanks, I was going by the numbering following the C14, the "9" based on the arsenal 26 example of dating at Simonev's, Yooper's sites, etc.

Had considered selling it, but in the time since I acquired it I've changed that thinking, and am now about to go across the street to my neighbor's berm and fire it for the first time.

Thanks again.

Guest RISC777
You should definitely hold onto that SKS....im sure if you sell it you will definitely regret it down the road....unless of course your getting rid of it to buy an AK :-D
Seen too many accessories available to make it how / what I want! Besides the fact it's a 7.62. And it's been shot, I've learned, less than 50 times - bought to go boar hunting in Texas, went once with it, the person did. The wood's in pristine shape.

Slung it, got strippers (clips - heh), sight tool (elevation and windage). Spike bayonet (replacement) and bipod on their way. Trying to decide on what scope mount, etc., etc. to order.

Seen too many accessories available to make it how / what I want! Besides the fact it's a 7.62. And it's been shot, I've learned, less than 50 times - bought to go boar hunting in Texas, went once with it, the person did. The wood's in pristine shape.

Slung it, got strippers (clips - heh), sight tool (elevation and windage). Spike bayonet (replacement) and bipod on their way. Trying to decide on what scope mount, etc., etc. to order.

Sounds awesome...definitely get us some pics when shes done :)

• 1 month later...