Another SKS

Guest RISC777

Guest RISC777

Picked up an SKS today, seriously great condition except the bayonet was lost.

f7c35ecbddb4192eeeb8e0c9fb3fcb1c5g.jpg

ddb38f28dc6df43a071be171b1c16dcd4g.jpgb26702877a1e15c7f3bdaa3d187d442b4g.jpgc1667020cc97a10164ec552091c9c77b5g.jpg

So, where's the best source for ammo?

And, where could I get a bayonet to replace the missing one?

Edited by RISC777
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RISC777
looks like a nice Norinco, is it all matching numbers? looks like it was barely ever used. good find:up:

All numbers match. Cleaning kit in butt never used. From the dirt, maybe 10 rounds through it.

Can't decide if it's a keeper or not. Trying to decide if it fits with me and me with it. Went for it since it's in very good condition and 7.62. Got a box of 30-30 I have no use for with it even. Oh, and a handful of 35 Remington.

Thanks, Moped, I'll look for that at Krogers.

Guest Revelator

I just have to ask...where was the bayonet? From what you wrote it sounds like it wasn't there when you bought it, then a few hours later there it is. Whoa!

Guest RISC777
I just have to ask...where was the bayonet? From what you wrote it sounds like it wasn't there when you bought it, then a few hours later there it is. Whoa!

No, not found the 'lost' or missing one, found three online sources to replace it. So, in essence I found it.

If your driving through Knoxville...throw the box of 30 30 out the window and call me with the location.........he GREAT find on the SKS. Would I be overly rude to ask you what you paid for it?

(like many others, I like to keep a feel on prices..etc)

Edited by ninja128
Guest RISC777
If your driving through Knoxville...throw the box of 30 30 out the window and call me with the location.........he GREAT find on the SKS. Would I be overly rude to ask you what you paid for it?

(like many others, I like to keep a feel on prices..etc)

Running by Chattanooga tonight heading to Rome, GA. Sorry, nowhere near Knoxville. I can't throw that far.

Not overly rude, nor rude at all. From a friend, sub $200 cost over-all due to what came with it. The more I fondle, err, umm, hold it and stroke, ummm, err, work the action, look down the sights, etc., the more I'm beginning to like it. Would be nice to actually get to send some ammo down range, but that time will come.

Did find some Monarch 7.62x39 at Academy, 20 round boxes for $4.86.

Still totally not decided if I'm going to end up keeping it though.

Edited by RISC777
Guest RISC777
Your sig line ....... Take responsability and make no excuses. If you say you are going to do something-then DO IT. Inspect what you Expect.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected? :rolleyes:

Guest RISC777

Yes, original finish. The guy I got it from pulled out a case with, honestly, what seemed to be an eight inch of dust, opens it up and it's spotless. He said he lost track of the bayo (found three decent online sources already), and throws three boxes of shells beside it. Two boxes are calibers not for it but he didn't want them. Drove home and looked at it closer to start deciding if me and it fit each other. Do I get a few things for it and keep it? Or let it go and look around some more? heh he

Guest abailey362

let it go....to me. I need a good C&R SKS. mine has a synthetic stock set on it, and while i enjoy it, I also want an original. I'd much rather have a nice sks than the mosin i was about to order.

RISC,

I am in the exact same position as you. I picked up a similar gun for a good price a couple of weeks ago. I can't decide to keep, sell, or trade.

I did some checking online and I think that mine was made for the commercial market and imported without the bayonet or lug. Keep in mind that your bayonet may not be 'lost', but may have been removed as a condition of importation and it may be illegal to put one on it.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Idaho

Guest RISC777
RISC,

I am in the exact same position as you. I picked up a similar gun for a good price a couple of weeks ago. I can't decide to keep, sell, or trade.

I did some checking online and I think that mine was made for the commercial market and imported without the bayonet or lug. Keep in mind that your bayonet may not be 'lost', but may have been removed as a condition of importation and it may be illegal to put one on it.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Idaho

It came with it originally, the spike one and not the blade style, but the guy I got it from "lost" it. The biggest decider will be getting to finally shoot it after I get home from down here in Rome. And, since it's 7.62, that also is a factor on the pro side of the column list. And the shape it's in. Dang, sounds like I'm talking myself into why to keep it.

But I want a Mossberg badly (has anyone seen their 'Crusader' model? Carbon fiber pistol grip and stock, vented shroud over the barrel, 18" length...*sigh* for just under $400), and I want a .45 equally as bad. So if I can get the old Hopkins & Allen Arms shotty fixed the shotgun side is covered, even if it's a single shot. It's old, but the previous owner did shoot it. My concern is will it stand up to a decent double-ought shell or / and slug. Might be a better idea to use 2.75" lighter shot if it ever gets to useable condition. And I'm out of town for the Academy sale on Taurus' Millenium Pros (including the .45), so I'm out of luck on that opportunity for now.

[ramble off]

Guest gcrookston

That is a military carbine. Take the first 2 digits of the serial number and add them to 1956 and you'll get the year of manufacture. Based on the stamped trigger guard and screwed in barrel (vs pinned), I'm goig to hazard post 1968...

I have 2 of these, a Norinco import 1973 date of Manufacture and a USGI bringback from Vietnam 1964 date.

Edited by gcrookston

I am by no means an expert (didn't even stay at Holiday Inn Express last night), but I thought it looked like one of the newer models made for the commercial market.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but I was thinking pinned barrel.

How about sharing the full text of the markings and the first 6 or so digits of the serial numbers?

Like I say - no expert here, just comparing the pictures to one I own and what I see on http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm. The page has a lot of info about the different models.

Idaho

Guest gcrookston

to my knowledge, the only commercially produced SKS rifles were the paratroopers with the shorter barrel. China literally had millions of these in their stores for export. At the very end of importation they were removing the bayonets on unissued weapons and selling them here for $49.00

Guest RISC777

Stampings:

SKS 7.62X39MM MADE IN CHINA

C14 9140381

with

40381 on the side of the butt and on the bolt

No receiver star.

So, 1965 should be year of mfr. (if it came from arsenal 26 - need to determine arsenal of origin first).

Seems to a GLNIC import (who mostly imported AKs).

It does have a pinned barrel.

Great site I found started in 2000 - link.

Online manual - link.

Guest RISC777

Might have to shoot my neighbor's dog.

UPS order left at the door, she takes it off to chew it up.

Doesn't chew up stuff I don't care about, nooo. Chews up a new sling, AK/SKS sight tool, etc.

* sigh*