Blued Browning Hi Power, $1150 at SOG

Pete123

One time there was a thread on TGO about Hi Power's.  A couple of enthusiasts said mentioned that it's hard to find a blued one and you just have to suck it up, buy immediately and pay a lot of money.

I was cruising the net last night and came across this one on SOG, thought I would post for one of the BHP fans.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/browning-hi-power-9mm.html

I'm not a Hi Power guy and really can't say regarding the value.  I remembered what some folks on TGO said and was merely passing along info.

Bud's has better customer service than SOG based on my experience.

Edited by Pete123

Why are those worth more than these that are new and also Belgium made, polished blue?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31047/Browning+051004493+Hi-Power+Standard+13%2B1+9mm+4.625"

The SOG one has a FN roll mark and "Made in Belgium" where the Buds' HP is a newer production Browning (the importer) "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal" firearm.

FN began assembling HPs in Portugal in the early 70s.  The HPs roll marked FN were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal but never marked like the Browning ones. The only guns roll marked "assembled in Portugal" are the Browning brands intended for the US.

So to some collectors, the SOG HP is higher value because it is the non-US model for the Europe market.

• Like 2

SOG may be charging that much since they went to all the effort of taking actual photos and posting them of the thing.  This seems to be a new development.

Seems to me SOG has always been a bit on the high side for their "collector" pieces.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

True. I've been tempted by several items from them, but just haven't wanted to give the asking price.

And in spite of my handle, I'd buy a CZ75 before the SOG Hipower pricing. But I want a shooter, not a collector piece.

I'm with hipower here.  I have a Sig P226 SAO that is my choice.  I just haven't been able to forgive them for the mag release safety.  While I believe that safety is great for LEOs, its a target gun for me and I want a good trigger.

I'll have to say though, nothing feels as good in my hand as a Hi-Power.

I wish I had enough great pistols to where I couldn't remember If I had a Browning Hi Power or not.

My first gun at my first duty station was a Browning HP, had it until my third duty station in GA, where I purchased my second. The second was even more of a tack driver so sold the first. It's been awhile since I fired it, my Berretta 92 has been getting all the love since it was my backup most times I deployed and I wanted to be as proficient with it as possible. If I remember correctly, it's labeled "made in Belgium", and the mag safety is either disabled or not there. So that and the fact that it shot better made the decision on which to keep easier.

My first gun at my first duty station was a Browning HP, had it until my third duty station in GA, where I purchased my second. The second was even more of a tack driver so sold the first. It's been awhile since I fired it, my Berretta 92 has been getting all the love since it was my backup most times I deployed and I wanted to be as proficient with it as possible. If I remember correctly, it's labeled "made in Belgium", and the mag safety is either disabled or not there. So that and the fact that it shot better made the decision on which to keep easier.

So, going to the range and decided to pull out the BHP. It indeed is one of the "made in Belgium" models. I guess I'll have to baby it more...nah its a shooter. 03babf4f4bf4a495d714c5c348309b54.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I must confess. I don’t buy foreign guns anymore and I haven’t owned a 9mm in over 25 years. But one of the last 9mm’s I had was a Belgium Browning Hi-Power in the 80’s. (don’t remember the mfg year) If I were going to buy a foreign gun; this would be it. I haven’t kept up on them, as far as where and who makes them now, but the examples I have seen lately are not on par with what we had back then.
Dmark ... "FN began assembling HPs in Portugal in the early 70s. The HPs roll marked FN were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal but never marked like the Browning ones. The only guns roll marked "assembled in Portugal" are the Browning brands intended for the US."

Yep! Funny how Browning misinterpreted U.S. Import marking requirements and added the "assembled in Portugal" markings. I wonder why they never chose to remove it later since some folks seem to "look down their noses" at the Portugal imprint. Many that own a post 1970 FN piece incorrectly assume it was both made and assembled in Belgium.

The trigger action is significantly improved when the mag safety is removed.
  • Like 1
Went back out to MCSC with the intent of sighting in my BP rifle and GSG 522 as well as shoot my BHP. I also took my G-23, Ruger Mark III, SBH, and my XDs so a couple of friends could try them out. Sorry, no pics, but I didn't have to make any adjustments on the BP or SBH, but on the GSG I gave up, for some reason I could not find the tiny screw driver to adjust the red dot and when I was trying to boresight it I discovered that the parallax on that thing was terrible.

Anyway, all three of us agree that the BHP is one nice shooting gun. We were all getting some nice groups and that thing just seems to return to the target on its own. I wonder if after it's detailed cleaning and storage for another long haul if it will more than double in value again ?.
  • Like 1
Omega - "... wonder if after it's detailed cleaning and storage for another long haul if it will more than double in value again?"

I wouldn't bet against that happening for several reasons: The cost to manufacture all blue polished steel guns keeps going up and up. Plus, a goodly number of Browning enthusiasts are of the opinion Browning's annual importation numbers of the High Powers is shrinking. Some even speculate that in the not too distant future manufacturing will come to a halt.

Folks may soon be clambering for the shrinking pool of High Powers just like many are chasing the Colt Python now! $$$
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder how a hi power would look cerakoted? Maybe a Tungsten over an Armor Black. Hmmmm...

I'll post up mine when done. I'm getting ready to two tone a rare alloy framed Hi-Power.
My problem is having the time to get down to the country to drop it off at 2nd Amendment Gun Coatings. LOL Edited by R1100R

I'll post up mine when done. I'm getting ready to two tone a rare alloy framed Hi-Power.
My problem is having the time to get down to the country to drop it off at 2nd Amendment Gun Coatings. LOL

His photos is where I saw the tungsten over armor black. I think it would look good.

My problem is having the time to get down to the country to drop it off at 2nd Amendment Gun Coatings. LOL

If it’s rare why don’t you have it high gloss blued? Aren’t you concerned that if you paint it you will lose any value or collectability it has?

If it’s rare why don’t you have it high gloss blued? Aren’t you concerned that if you paint it you will lose any value or collectability it has?

It was never high gloss blue. Military/police contract. Enameled finished. They just don't lose their value. I'm sure a NIB would be a collector's dream, but I have never seen one in my many years of buying and selling Hi Powers. This will be a carry gun.
  • Like 1