Do I have to Check My Firearms, Next Chilhowee Gun Show

This coming weekend (10/17 & 10/18) will be the Gun Show @ Chilhowee Park.  With all of the publicity, do I have to check ccw firearm?  I understand I do for non-ccw firearms that I may happen to bring.  

Talk about oxymorons.  The Gunshow promoter will have to make a choice, should they be pro gun, or will attempt to ban ccw due to what reason, safety, insurance, or other.  Either the promoter will have to change venues, or succumb to the law.

I am borrowing this from two other postings:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/90711-knoxville-allowing-fair-to-prohibit-guns-in-a-park/page-5

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/91398-rk-gunshow-tomorrow-oct-10-11-nashville-tn-fairgrounds/

Are you going to stop and tell them you have it?

Good question, duno.  Regardless, "we" the TN gun community think regardless we can ccw with don't ask don't tell, or do ask and don't care. 

Can they deny me entry?  As a renter of the building, yes they can until the lawsuit is determined.  Hence a oxymoron. 

According to the City of Knoxville it is not a park.  Until that is resolved in court (a case has been filed) then those signs on the door that have been at every RK show for years:  NO LOADED FIREARMS, NO CONCEALED CARRY still stand.

According to the City of Knoxville it is not a park.  Until that is resolved in court (a case has been filed) then those signs on the door that have been at every RK show for years:  NO LOADED FIREARMS, NO CONCEALED CARRY still stand.

Yea, but but but.....aren't those RK folks on our side?  Hence OXYMORON.  What then after the suit is settled presumably in our favor, only I75 expo which is private property.

Not being able to carry at a gun show ....is like going to church on Sunday and the pastor saying you cant pray.......stupid....stupid...and more stupid.   Some will let ya carry but must not be loaded.....well....hells bells. I know J Floyds here in sevierville wont let carry loaded in.

As stupid as it is not to be able to carry there, they have had, and continue to have, negligent discharges at every show. I no longer attend them, partly due to that reason. I went pretty steady as a vendor a couple years ago and it seemed someone was always letting a round loose from an "unloaded gun". People consistently ignore basic firearms safety rules, especially about treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire. Between the ND'S and the fact that it is far more wool socks, trashy flea market knives, and seasoning packets than actual guns, I wouldn't set foot in a gun show unless I needed reloading supply from David (aka dlm).

Sent from behind the anvil

Though I can appreciate the comments about negligent discharge at a gun show, if we are concerned about that, then we must be concerned about it across the board not just at the gun show but other places like:  at Walmart, at the grocery store, heck just in the public everywhere.  So why are we not paranoid enough to stay away from the public in general if we are worried about negligent discharge.  Hey, wait a minute, this may be the new argument of the left, its all about gun safety and the children.

Back to the topic, I am really surprised more people are not jumping on the band wagon.  Yes, I know for years it has been the staunch rule at the show to check all firearms, but since its a city owned park by state rules, and a lawsuit has been filed to reconfirm this belief, why would our ally RK Shows be in bed with the Madeline Rogero and team now?  They could simply blink and make it happen.

Though I can appreciate the comments about negligent discharge at a gun show, if we are concerned about that, then we must be concerned about it across the board not just at the gun show but other places like: at Walmart, at the grocery store, heck just in the public everywhere. So why are we not paranoid enough to stay away from the public in general if we are worried about negligent discharge. Hey, wait a minute, this may be the new argument of the left, its all about gun safety and the children.

Back to the topic, I am really surprised more people are not jumping on the band wagon. Yes, I know for years it has been the staunch rule at the show to check all firearms, but since its a city owned park by state rules, and a lawsuit has been filed to reconfirm this belief, why would our ally RK Shows be in bed with the Madeline Rogero and team now? They could simply blink and make it happen.

Rereading my reply, I realize I made it sound like that is a good reason for the policy to apply. I actually was just commenting on the fact that it is probably a knee jerk policy to try and stop ND's. I think the policy probably actually increases them because people begin to assume every firearm is unloaded and will squeeze a trigger without checking to see if a round is chambered. They think the vendor has cleared every firearm, and while they should, the ultimate responsibility lies with the person holding the firearm to clear it again and ensure its safe before handling. And no firearms unloaded policy will ever take the place of personal responsibility and safe handling practices.

Sent from behind the anvil Edited by Spots
  • Like 1

As stupid as it is not to be able to carry there, they have had, and continue to have, negligent discharges at every show. I no longer attend them, partly due to that reason. I went pretty steady as a vendor a couple years ago and it seemed someone was always letting a round loose from an "unloaded gun". People consistently ignore basic firearms safety rules, especially about treat every gun as if it were loaded, and keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire. Between the ND'S and the fact that it is far more wool socks, trashy flea market knives, and seasoning packets than actual guns, I wouldn't set foot in a gun show unless I needed reloading supply from David (aka dlm).

I say if a person can not handle his weapon safely .......his permit should be revoked...he has no right carrying a loaded gun.  I agree if they are having problems like that ...then ban carry at the shows ...I don't want shot!!!

Rereading my reply, I realize I made it sound like that is a good reason for the policy to apply. I actually was just commenting on the fact that it is probably a knee jerk policy to try and stop ND's. I think the policy probably actually increases them because people begin to assume every firearm is unloaded and will squeeze a trigger without checking to see if a round is chambered. They think the vendor has cleared every firearm, and while they should, the ultimate responsibility lies with the person holding the firearm to clear it again and ensure its safe before handling. And no firearms unloaded policy will ever take the place of personal responsibility and safe handling practices.

Very good point!

I say if a person can not handle his weapon safely .......his permit should be revoked...he has no right carrying a loaded gun. I agree if they are having problems like that ...then ban carry at the shows ...I don't want shot!!!

As far as I know, there has never been an ND of a carry weapon. It is always something a vendor has lying on a table, zip tied up and "cleared". Failure one is the firearm wasn't cleared when it was put on the table, either due to carelessness or laziness. Then Joe Smith ask to remove zip tie to check trigger action, vendor cuts it off and hands weapon. Failure two is the vendor fails to clear firearm before handing to customer. Customer grabs firearm. Failure 3 is customer assumes it is cleared and doesn't verify. He then points weapon, and squeezes off a shot. So far every ND I have seen there, the firearm was at least pointed in a safe direction and a small caliber. I quit going before it was a .357 mag or 5.56 and was pointed into the crowd. I have no sympathy for unsafe gun handling. There is no excuse for it. The vendor needs to be booted, and always has been to my knowledge, and the one who shoots it off does as well. And I agree, if you aren't responsible enough to handle a firearm safely, then you don't need to carry one. Though I disagree strongly with the entire permit system and believe it's a constitutional right to carry anything I please any way I want to carry it. But a policy banning CCW isn't gonna stop that type of ND, especially not when vendors are just given a stack of zip ties and told to clear and secure their own weapons.

• Like 1

As far as I know, there has never been an ND of a carry weapon. It is always something a vendor has lying on a table, zip tied up and "cleared". Failure one is the firearm wasn't cleared when it was put on the table, either due to carelessness or laziness. Then Joe Smith ask to remove zip tie to check trigger action, vendor cuts it off and hands weapon. Failure two is the vendor fails to clear firearm before handing to customer. Customer grabs firearm. Failure 3 is customer assumes it is cleared and doesn't verify. He then points weapon, and squeezes off a shot. So far every ND I have seen there, the firearm was at least pointed in a safe direction and a small caliber. I quit going before it was a .357 mag or 5.56 and was pointed into the crowd. I have no sympathy for unsafe gun handling. There is no excuse for it. The vendor needs to be booted, and always has been to my knowledge, and the one who shoots it off does as well. And I agree, if you aren't responsible enough to handle a firearm safely, then you don't need to carry one. Though I disagree strongly with the entire permit system and believe it's a constitutional right to carry anything I please any way I want to carry it. But a policy banning CCW isn't gonna stop that type of ND, especially not when vendors are just given a stack of zip ties and told to clear and secure their own weapons.

When you work with or sell a firearm.  Person A "MUST" rack and remove the magazine and then rack again once or twice before handing to person B!!!   Person B should take it on himself to AGAIN rack it making sure mag is out and then rack again once and twice checking for a live round.  If you hand me a weapon and rack and check I still take the weapon and do it again!   That's how I got to be 80 years old.

When you work with or sell a firearm.  Person A "MUST" rack and remove the magazine and then rack again once or twice before handing to person B!!!   Person B should take it on himself to AGAIN rack it making sure mag is out and then rack again once and twice checking for a live round.  If you hand me a weapon and rack and check I still take the weapon and do it again!   That's how I got to be 80 years old.

This has always been SOP with me. But I've been to many gun shops that don't follow this simple rule.

Are you going to stop and tell them you have it?

Better question....if the venue is properly posted, are you going to risk a charge and losing your license and carry past it?? And, if your passionate about your rights, are your going to patronize a business that talks them away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk