TFA Nashville Chapter June Meeting (06/19/07)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add a bit to the previous posts.

• First, great meeting TNRoadrunner and dpeneguy, and now I know dunndw was there as well. (Dunndw, I was the guy handing out the blue fliers.)

• 16 people in attendance. John Harris was not there due to an illness in his family.

• The name of the TFA Nashville Chapter head guy is Perry Hamlett, his email is PerryHamlett@gmail.com if anyone has any TFA-related questions.

• TFA will be at the Bob Pope gun show in Franklin this Fri-Sun. The show is sold out of vendor space and sounds like it will be a nice event. (http://www.bobpopegunshows.com/ for info, directions, etc.)

• TFA will be giving away FREE 6 month trial memberships at the show to anyone who wishes to join. If anyone is going, I'm volunteering at the APPS/TFA booth 11am-2pm on Sunday. Drop by and say hi. There will also be a "prize grid" for a gun. Squares on the grid will be $10.00 each with proceeds going to TFA.

• Next meeting will be TUESDAY August 21 at 6:30pm at APPS.

I agree with dunndw, this group needs some more organization. We/they should do the following:

1) Set an agenda and follow it.

2) Allow some more time for socialization.

3) Have a "draw" -a reason to come. (speaker, food, prizes, etc.)

4) Get and use a Secretary/Recorder to take meeting minutes and distribute them.

I do like the focus on building membership -without members TFA can't do much. I think hope the organizational stuff will get sorted out eventually.

Finally, only one anti-Glock joke the whole meeting. I see improvement here! :D

Finally, only one anti-Glock joke the whole meeting. I see improvement here! :D

Sorry I couldn't make it. :D

I agree with dunndw, this group needs some more organization. We/they should do the following:

1) Set an agenda and follow it.

2) Allow some more time for socialization.

3) Have a "draw" -a reason to come. (speaker, food, prizes, etc.)

4) Get and use a Secretary/Recorder to take meeting minutes and distribute them.

It sounds like things have gotten off to a less than stellar start. No draw, changing the meeting dates, lots of little things to keep people from coming back. You start dropping months and people will forget to come. I noticed on the TFA board that a couple of people though the meeting would be on the 21st. If memberships are being given away, there definitely needs to be a meeting soon after and I hope someone is collecting contact info and will let the new members know about the next meeting. And I'd strongly recommend moving the meeting to a restaurant to make it a family event.

I know I'm being a know-it-all but I've organized a bunch of groups. What works is having the meeting every month on the same day and time regardless of anything less than getting nuked. Never, ever change the meeting date or time or cancel one. You have to have a program from people outside of the group. It needs to be entertaining as well as serious business. Eating first is a big draw for family attendance. If that isn't possible (it's always possible) make sure there are some snacks and drinks. See if you can find some business to donate a $10 gift certificate or something to give away at each meeting. Do a newsletter to be sent out a few days before the next meeting. Stress that non-members are very welcome. They tend to become members after a short time if it's a good group. Lots of other things for publicity, but I've said enough.

Doesn't sound like I missed much...

I'm determined to be involved in the TFA, but I fear that unless there are some significant proactive initiatives to participate in, this particular chapter might become too far for me to drive for the value-added.

• Administrator
Doesn't sound like I missed much...

I'm determined to be involved in the TFA, but I fear that unless there are some significant proactive initiatives to participate in, this particular chapter might become too far for me to drive for the value-added.

I remain less than impressed with the defacto Nashville chapter president. As I've said to molonlabetn privately, I left the first "revival meeting" of this chapter with the impression that John Harris may have moved too quickly to accept Perry's volunteer appointment and maybe should have waited for another meeting or two to come and go and see if others volunteered as well.

It was all decided upon very quickly that first meeting and we may never know if someone more suited to the task was holding their tongue in a "wait and see" move rather than jump in head-first.

I'm not knocking Perry... I haven't seen enough of his leadership ability yet to make that call. But what I've seen so far seems like he's oozing with enthusiasm but doesn't exude much charisma or confidence. And those are two things that a solid leader needs, and two things which this chapter will die out again for lack of. I hope I'm wrong on all counts, though. This organization must succeed and it's terribly sad that it can't get a chapter off the ground in it's own back yard.

:D

Well, the head of any group needs to be a worker, hopefully with some organizational skills. Unfortunately it sounds like the Nashville TFA group is lacking in that leadership. Lots of mistakes being made already. This month's meeting sounds like a disaster and is being followed up with another disaster next month in not even having a meeting. Things don't look good.

We had a guy in our area try to organize a TFA chapter several years ago. He tried, but made a number of mistakes. Hyaloid sounds interested in giving it a try, but has other pressing matters right now. I'd be glad to help, but can't take the lead. Besides, I think we would do better to have a TGO chapter and let the TFA meet at the same time. Any more thought about making TGO an official organization?

I think perhaps we need to talk to Perry. He seems like he really WANTS to make it work...even though he's already quit once...and came back. If he wants to step down, we (we being the TFA) need to ELECT not appoint the next president. I've been the president of a networking group before...once you "get into the swing" it ain't that hard. It's a bit of work...but it isn't all that.

I don't like the idea of not having a July meeting. We're not off the ground yet and it's breaks the momentum. My wife does meetings at work as well. She said the same things that Marswolf said. Nothing is more useless than a unorganized meeting. We need someone to take notes, set some sort of agenda, etc. I wonder if a few of us approached Perry outside of the group and offered help how he'd take it. I was bummed when we had the chance to talk with Ben West and Perry wanted to concentrate on membership. We need members, but if the first meeting we had went like this last one, I'm not sure I'd come back.

I was the red headed fella sitting at the front right side table.

I think TGO has already done more, in terms of bringing people together, than the Nashville Chapter of the TFA has (or likely will this year, if ever). I think that the best role(s) for us to continue to grow are:

- Communication

- Education

- Bring like-minded people together

- Have fun

- Be a uniform positive influence on our communities

When we feel good about our progress in those areas, then we'll be in an excellent position to reach higher and farther. That would likely include actively lobbying our legislators... That is the main purpose of the TFA, however, which is why I'd like to see our organizations as symbiotic units, instead of parallel ones...

As I've posted in the past, there is some hostility toward the TFA among gun owners in this area. They see it as an organization that collects dues but that doesn't do much. Whether that is a fair assessment is open to interpretation, but you have to live with that perception.

I did a search and it looks like the last time the TFA even considered a state convention was in 2005 and as best I can figure out they didn't do it then. Didn't look like much of a convention was planned either. Maybe the problem is my search technique and something has been happening. I know once before Harris said he was too busy to hold a convention. This sort of thing turns people off. Sounds like TFA has a problem at the top too.

I don't doubt the sincerity of Harris or Perry Hamlett but you do have to get over being an advocate of action and become one who actually acts. As Thoreau pointed out, there are nine hundred and ninety-nine patrons of virtue to one virtuous man. The TFA needs leadership that is more than a patron of proposed action.

When the Tri-Cities TFA chapter fell through, I thought about the situation a bit and decided it would be much easier to get together a bunch of gun owners as a social club and inject a legislative agenda into it rather than start off with a lobbying group and add the social stuff. I did a bit of ground work but things changed with my job and I didn't have time to pursue it.

This is one reason I'm interested in seeing a formal TGO group that can organize social chapters. It sounds a lot better to politicians to say you have 200 gun owners that meet every month rather than that you have 16 people who meet when the mood strikes to talk about possible legislative action.

I wonder how Perry would take to a few volunteers to help set the agenda, take notes and such? Some people would welcome the help, some people would look at that as trying to move in on their "turf"

Guest tjbert47

I think skipping a meeting is a horrible idea. I was not happy about not having a speaker. Perry took very little time for his part. So why no speaker?

I think marswolf is correct. We need to make the meetings fun, informative and social. We need to get to know one another and become closer as a group. May be go shooting together.

Just my two cents worth.

Tom in TN

PS I was the little gray headed man sitting at the second table on the right. Behind dunndw and his wife.

Guest dpeneguy

That was my first meeting and I have not joined just yet , I want to make sure its something that is going to stick around . I was disappointed in last nights meeting if I knew we were going to talk about recruitment the whole time I would have stayed at home. I will give it another go at the next meeting .

I think all of the concerns should be brought out in the open in the meeting .

Ok, so now we know that fully 1/3 of the audience was made up of TGO members. What does this say about TFA?

My gut feeling is that Perry would be more than willing to accept some volunteer assistance. I'll see him on Sunday at the gun show and will discuss this with him.

I'd also volunteer to bring some snacks and/or drinks. I might be able to help with a speaker as well. What kind are we looking for? Does it have to be a politician, or can we expand that idea some? (For example, maybe someone from Barrett Rifles, etc.)

I'll post what I learn after the show.

I wonder how Perry would take to a few volunteers to help set the agenda, take notes and such? Some people would welcome the help, some people would look at that as trying to move in on their "turf"
Guest tjbert47
Ok, so now we know that fully 1/3 of the audience was made up of TGO members. What does this say about TFA?

My gut feeling is that Perry would be more than willing to accept some volunteer assistance. I'll see him on Sunday at the gun show and will discuss this with him.

I'd also volunteer to bring some snacks and/or drinks. I might be able to help with a speaker as well. What kind are we looking for? Does it have to be a politician, or can we expand that idea some? (For example, maybe someone from Barrett Rifles, etc.)

I'll post what I learn after the show.

Len

I think that is a good idea. I don't think Nashville TFA group will last very long otherwise.

I'm also not against a TGO organization.

Tom in TN

Guest tjbert47

I'm not about to give up. I'm looking for ways to help with 2A issues. I'm just not sure yet if this is a viable option. I do however hope we can work out the details.

Tom in TN

If we pitch in I don't see why it wouldn't work. Doesn't the Memphis chapter have a boat load of members. It would be a shame if Nashville...with out easier access to the TN Hose/Senate couldn't get a chapter going. I'm going to try to get some "slush fund" money from the finance committee (after my spending spree that might be hard) and hed out Saturday to the show. I want to try to talk to Perry as well. Perhaps we can talk in out of canceling the July meeting. I enjoy hearing John talk..but it shouldn't take just John being out of a meeting to have it fall apart.

This may give you an idea from a chapter that has been running for a while in a relatively small place, in Morristown.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:28 am Post subject: May 2007 meeting Reply with quote

The April meeting of the Tennessee Firearms Association Lakeway Chapter will be held on uesday evening, the 15th of May, 2007

Our guest speaker will be Captain Beckner from the Morristown Police Explosive Ordinance Squad and speak on handling and storage household chemicals and reloading materials such as power and primiers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our meeting place is the Shoneys Family Restaurant at 1933 West Andrew Johnson Highway (Hwy 11E), Morristown TN. This restaurant is located 1/2 block east of the West Andrew Johnson highway (Hwy 11E) and Morris Blvd intersection, more or less across from the Home Depot. There is a large, highly visible sign in front along with plenty of parking space. A pre-meeting social hour is from 6 PM to 7 PM during which you may want to eat dinner. The meeting will begin promptly at 7 PM and end at 8 PM. Opportunity will be given to ask questions related to the topic.

Membership is not required - gun owners, 2nd Amendment supporters, and interested public are urged to attend. For more information contact Bill Kaylor 423 586 9121/email w9dsm@charter.net or Tim Nunan 423-586-8459/email bentcreek@outdrs.net.

Tim Nunan

TFA/NRA Lifemember

Co-host Lakeway chapter

NRA-ILA EVC TN-1

GOA member

How did the July meeting get canceled? You guys will be pretty much starting over in August.

Groups like this grow by word of mouth, but you have to have something happening to encourage people you see to come visit and hopefully join. Groups like this die by bad policy - like canceling meetings and having no speaker.

Memphis meets at Range USA and it has a barbecue place in there to eat at. Morristown meets at a Restaurant, Knoxville meets at a restaurant, Chattanooga meets at a restaurant. Does this give you guys any ideas at all? :angel:

I was disapointed that John was not there as I wanted to talk with him about starting a chapter in the Dickson/Humphreys County area. I did get some info from Mr Tune. But it is a long drive for the meeting that was so short. I want folks from my area to contact me so we can get something going here instead of driving all the way into Nashville. Thanks

• 1 month later...