In-laws and Handguns? Help...

Guest Chisum

Personally, I would get their permission to bring it in loaded. I like the idea of a lock box to bring it in and store it in the house, unloaded if that is their request. Be honest and say you'd rather not leave it in the car in case someone were to break in. Tell them that then there would be an armed criminal in the neighborhood.

The reason for my thoughts are, this is your wife's parents. You probably need to respect them more than anyone else. If you piss them off, Thanksgiving and Christmas will suck forever. Your own parents will forgive you, friends will either forgive you or stop being your friend, but piss off your inlaws, and they will be mad, your wife will be mad, your dog will even look at you crosseyed.

Now, that said, anywhere else I probably would deep conceal and move on.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Folks,

At what point does my respect of another's home supersede my constitutional right to carry?

It's their home. If they don't want you to bring a gun into the house then you have no right to do so. Can you carry without them knowing? Probably.

My mother doesn't like guns either. When I go to her home I leave the gun at home. Could I slip something in my pocket and she'd never know? Of course. But I wouldn't be that disrespectful of her. Her home, her rules.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I use the same guideline regardless of whether I'm visiting family, browsing the dairy section of WalMart, or going for a brisk walk. I assume it's OK to carry unless informed otherwise. If the owner of the property expresses, in some way, their desire to keep their property weapons-free, then I make the decision then whether to go there unarmed, or to not go there at all. But if the subject never comes up, then we all go about our merry lives none the wiser.

Guest VolGrad
It's their home. If they don't want you to bring a gun into the house then you have no right to do so. Can you carry without them knowing? Probably.

My mother doesn't like guns either. When I go to her home I leave the gun at home. Could I slip something in my pocket and she'd never know? Of course. But I wouldn't be that disrespectful of her. Her home, her rules.

I agree with this post 100%.

When you visit someone else's home you should respect their wishes. If you don't want to go unarmed, then don't go. Some folks are really anti- and would likely hold it against you for life for bringing a weapon "around their kids". I know it is silly. However, some folks believe that. They have that right too (even it we don't agree). I don't think I would care to start off a family relationship (new in-laws) on the wrong foot. Bring firearms into conversation here and there and feel them out. Over time you might even be able to convert them.

Guest HexHead
Doesn't mean a thing as long as the shop isn't posted per State Law. They can ask you to leave and you must do so right then and there.

Again, how they gonna know? ;)

Besides, if you accidently uncover and about to buy $3k of furniture, you think that commissioned sales person is going to have you thrown out? :shrug:

Guest HexHead
I agree with this post 100%.

Some folks are really anti- and would likely hold it against you for life for bringing a weapon "around their kids".

I hope they got rid of all those kitchen knives then. :shrug:

Didn't some guy kill someone with a baseball bat over the weekend?

Guest canynracer

Still, I see no reason to leave the gun HOME...carry it for the trip, leave it in the car, locked in trunk SOMETHING...but dont leave it HOME!!! you are travelling, anything could happen...flat, break down...whatever...

Thank you all for your input. At the very least it's an interesting discussion. I chose to bring my sidearm for the trip and locked it up in the car when we got here. I'm looking for an oportunity to bring it up in a discussion with my brother-in-law that's not too "by the way I've got my 9 in my car".

I think the reality of our society is that many if not most people are uncomfortable around firearms. Firearms are most often portrayed in a negative light in movies and the news. And, I understand why they are uncomfortable. I remember the moments leading up to my first shot down range. I was 12, I squeezed the trigger slowly and flinched when the bullet fired. It's normal to have a healthy fear of something that holds the power to take life. All that to say this, I think that we as advocates of an important right need to do our part to dispell the untruths and and correct the misconceptions. The task requires some sensitivity and understanding on our part. I truly believe that most logical people that hear the arguments in favor of firearms will see the merits. In the same vane, when people understand how firearms function and how safe they can be with proper handling they will feel more comfortable around them.

Okay, I'll step off of the soapbox...

Oh, in regards to hugs, GO LOW! Got a hug from a cousin, she went low, I will still new to carrying, she put her hand on my side, above the love handle and hit my grip. If you go low with your hands so that they have to go over yours, you can keep their hands up where they need to be.

I would not tavel without it. But I would also respect their wishes in THEIR house. Talk to them, see what they say. Could educated them.

Oh, in regards to hugs, GO LOW! Got a hug from a cousin, she went low, I will still new to carrying, she put her hand on my side, above the love handle and hit my grip. If you go low with your hands so that they have to go over yours...

:eek:;)

Edited by strickj
Oh, in regards to hugs, GO LOW! Got a hug from a cousin, she went low, I will still new to carrying, she put her hand on my side, above the love handle and hit my grip. If you go low with your hands so that they have to go over yours, you can keep their hands up where they need to be.

I would not tavel without it. But I would also respect their wishes in THEIR house. Talk to them, see what they say. Could educated them.

Too funny....I have wised up to that as well....always go low on the hug...forces them to do the shoulder thing and none the wiser....I'll have to remember this on Thanksgiving! Although the longer I stay at the dinner table the liklier I am to print!:rofl:

:ugh::)

How did I not see that coming! She is a cousin on the wife's side....;)

Too funny....I have wised up to that as well....always go low on the hug...forces them to do the shoulder thing and none the wiser....I'll have to remember this on Thanksgiving! Although the longer I stay at the dinner table the liklier I am to print!:P

I definately plan on printing by the time I'm finished eating!!! I am carrying though, my Aunt lives in a NHood here in Memphis known as Scenic Hills, a somewhat "decent" neighborhood in the Raleigh dang near Frayser area. I probably need to bring along my Shotty and borrow Canyn's EBR.:D

• 1 year later...

I have to second this opinion. I know this is an old thread but I can't let it pass without speaking up. I am simply awed by some of the responses here and the total lack of respect that some of the responders have shown.

• Administrator

You know, I just don't get it.

99.99999% of the people I am around on a daily basis outside of my immediate family and friends have no knowledge of the fact that I carry, nor should they. My gun is not who I am. I do not broadcast it, I do not flaunt it and I do not talk about it or firearms incessantly Maybe this makes me a poor posterchild for the right to carry, or maybe not. Perhaps just the opposite.

My choice to carry a handgun is personal to me. It's not a showpiece and it's not a discussion starter. Carrying it is like carrying my car keys; a non-issue and a foregone conclusion. I don't even think about it anymore, and consequently I don't 'telegraph signs' to other people that it's on my person. No tugging down my shirt, no adjusting my belt, no patting my pocket to make sure it's there. It just is. Like a pocket knife or a wallet or some loose change. It's - just - there.

I'd no sooner discuss my firearm than my underwear with a party of whom I wasn't 100% positive of their 2nd Amendment acceptance. It's my business and not theirs. Hell I don't even get into carry-issue conversations with folks unless I know their intentions before hand. Too many people go on fishing expeditions just to start drama or worse, so I prefer to know what I'm stepping into before I open my mouth.

Honestly I think a lot of people could avoid a lot of headaches by volunteering a lot less information to others.

:)