New legislature for TN

Guest colrmccoll

Cool beans!

So that really blows the "debate" for the whole bar bill doesn't it!

Is there anything written specifically for bars? I know there is some difference between "restaurant",and "bar" because of the smoking ban loophole thingy where bars dont have to comply.

Not sure if that definition difference was written just for the smoking ban or not.... :)

ps,good work Gutter! I knew I paid you for something!

I think the way bars get around the smoking ban is because they limit entrance to those 21 and over, not really because they are a bar.

You can see 39-17-1804 for the list of exempted places on the smoking ban.

Edited by Fallguy
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

Real simple law. You can carry ANYWHERE that is not Properly Posted. No fuss, no muss, no what is a restaurant vs bar vs strip club vs nightclub vs etc...

I think the way bars get around the smoking ban is because they limit entrance to those 21 and over, not really because they are a bar.

You can see 39-17-1804 for the list of exempted places on the smoking ban.

You are correct, they limit entrance to 21 and over all the time.

My point to the bars v restaurants matter is this, you can have an establishment in Tennessee that simply sells beer for on site consumption, but no food. However, you cannot sell liquor for onsite consumption anyplace but a restaurant, which must sell 51% of their receipts in food. This is different from the definition of a bar in most other parts of the country. If you sell beer and food, again you must sell mostly food.

So the reasons given by the TRA for accounting difficulties is BS,

39-17-1305 as it is now prevents carry where alcohol period is served not just liquor, but beer also. So even if restaurants must get 51% or more or revenue from food to sell liquor by the drink, that does nothing for keeping up with revenue for the hundreds of restaurants that serve beer only.<o>;)</o>:P

<o>:P</o>:P

I didn't say the extra cost of keeping up with how much of sales came from what, just that it was the argument the other side was using.

You are 100% correct about there being no bars in TN, at least not legally defined. But that is the whole trouble. The are some that are inclined to allow us to carry in restaurants, but do not want us to carry in what is commonly know as bars, taverns, etc... But with no legal definition of what a bar or tavern is, they are not sure how to word it. If you simply changed to allow carry only in restaurants, that does nothing to address other places that serve alcohol, but that is still not their man purpose.

I should be clear that when I said HE should know better, I was referring to the person heading the TRA, or really for the past year, their board president, as their ED was forced out. Sorry for the confusion. It was not aimed at you fallguy.

And my point was really not relating to a difference in carry legislation between beer or liquor as relates to bars, but to the argument, which was a lie, that it would cause accounting headaches for restaurant owners.

Warbird I agree with you that the TRA's arguments don't hold water. I just was pointing out how TN regulates the sell of liquor and beer differently.

My questions about the 51% is because I know there are nightclubs in Jackson that sell liquor by the drink and beer, but also sell burgers etc.. cooked on the grill. But I doubt the sell of those burgers is anywhere near 51% of their income. But granted they are not considered a restaurant. But there are also VFW's, Elk Lodges, Moose Lodges and other places that sell liquor by the drink and may serve food and again a few I know, I doubt 51% of their income is from food.

I thought the regulation of liquor by the drink was a city ordinance,not state.

....My questions about the 51% is because I know there are nightclubs in Jackson that sell liquor by the drink and beer, but also sell burgers etc.. cooked on the grill. But I doubt the sell of those burgers is anywhere near 51% of their income. But granted they are not considered a restaurant. But there are also VFW's, Elk Lodges, Moose Lodges and other places that sell liquor by the drink and may serve food and again a few I know, I doubt 51% of their income is from food.

Yep,ain't no way they get 51% especially when they charge 4 bucks a bottle,and 6-7 bucks a shot

Whether to have liquor by the drink is a local issue.

If you serve liquor or sell it for on premises consumption, you must serve food. However, you can serve beer w/o having to sell food at all. Period.

If you have a tap and offer glasses for that beer then you must be regulated by the Health Dept as well, which means you must have a certain number of sinks etc etc.

The TRA can always find something to cry about if the leaders of their group don't want it to pass. They carry little weight any more since their old connected leader left. You own a place and dont want someone to carry, simply post it.

This is all minutiae but it will come up. Everyone will want to say yes here but no there and no here, but yes here. Ugh

I thought the regulation of liquor by the drink was a city ordinance,not state.

Yes, as Warbird said, whether to allow it or even package liquor sales is up to the local city or county. But a license to sell liquor is issued by the state and falls under state rules. While a license to sell beer is issued by a local beer board, usually the city council or county commission.

Just one of the reasons you can't sell beer and liquor in the same building in TN.