Guns In Bars

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

I'm a new C&C but think I might have gotten some flawed information. I heard from someone that it was legal to carry in establishments that serve alcohol as long as you were not consuming (at all).

I don't drink (at all) but being in the music business part of my job is frequenting venues that serve. In addition I am usually alone walking downtown.

I know from research that it was (for a long time) illegal but someone told me that the rules had changed.

Is it illegal to carry in these places?

Thanks

jw

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not any place... private clubs, etc which are not 'open to the public' do not fall under the specific wording of the code, and it is correct that one can carry on the premesis of their own establishment:

39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

(:D A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to a person who is:

(1) In the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer, or is employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard in the line of duty and pursuant to military regulations, or is in the actual discharge of duties as a correctional officer employed by a penal institution; or

(2) On the person's own premises or premises under the person's control or who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, § 4; 2001, ch. 345, § 1.]

Well, not any place... private clubs, etc which are not 'open to the public' do not fall under the specific wording of the code, and it is correct that one can carry on the premesis of their own establishment:

39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

(:D A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to a person who is:

(1) In the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer, or is employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard in the line of duty and pursuant to military regulations, or is in the actual discharge of duties as a correctional officer employed by a penal institution; or

(2) On the person's own premises or premises under the person's control or who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, § 4; 2001, ch. 345, § 1.]

we own a bar Its to hard to watch If were to be legal to carry if you weren't drinking. you don't know how much someone has had to drink before they got to your place.They could sit there and not consume and be under influence. Just like drugs they eat a much of pills before they come in after 2 beers and the're blistered. best thing is to stay out of knife and gun clubs

Edited by laktrash
Guest bkelm18
we own a bar Its to hard to watch If were to be legal to carry if you weren't drinking. How much have had to drink before they got to your place. Just like drugs they eat a much of pills before they come in 2 beers and the're blistered. best thing is to stay out of knife and gun clubs

Maybe I'm just tired after a long, cold day of work, but I couldn't understand anything you just said.

Guest HexHead
Here's hoping that this law gets changed during the next legislative session. But don't bet on it.

It's always breezed through the Senate, only to be shot down in committee by Naifeh. Mumpower seems like he'll let it come to a house vote if he has the power to. I'd expect a good chance for it's passage. The House reps don't want us taking it out on them come reelection.

Guest truthsayer
Maybe I'm just tired after a long, cold day of work, but I couldn't understand anything you just said.

I haven't been to work yet, and I had problems, too.

Speaking of work, I'd love to be able to carry in bars/restaurants since that's where I do most of my work.

Edited by truthsayer

I think the rule should be changed to allow carrying anywhere minors can legally be present.

I really don't have a problem with strip joints and 18+ bars being off limits for concealed carry.

My main issue is that there are lot of "family friendly" places which serve alcohol. Applebees, O'Charley's, Chili's, Olive Garden etc are good examples. If I'm out with the family and we stop for lunch, it seems silly that those places are off limits.

Guest tcampbell

I don't think we should be restricted on where we carry...we should be permitted to carry everywhere. I do believe that you shouldn't be permitted to consume alcohol or be under the influence of alcohol when you are carrying though. The BG's will carry everywhere they want...we should be permitted to protect ours and ours whereever and whenever we want.

Guest colrmccoll

You all are absolutely right; however, but liquor stores would be off limits if restricted to where minors are allowed.

Family friendly places should be a non-issue.

You all are absolutely right; however, but liquor stores would be off limits if restricted to where minors are allowed.

Family friendly places should be a non-issue.

It's not illegal for minors to be in a liquor store. That is a store policy not state law.

Guest VolGrad

GA finally got that very same law changed this year, thank goodness. That particular law is the one that prevented me from legally carrying most of the time. In GA case law went so far as to say that the parking lot of said venues were also off-limits. CRAP.

Unfortunately, you were given flawed info.