SKS not cycling, need help of possible causes

Pete123

I took a recently acquired SKS, one of the un-issued ones, to the range today for the first time.  Sweet shooting gun.

The action wouldn't cycle - the gun would shoot, but I would have to manually pull the bolt back and release to eject the spent cartridge and put a new one in the chamber.

My best guess is that I failed to put something back together correctly, possibly in the gas system, though I tried to do it right.

The ammo was WPA 124 Grain Military Classic.  

Any help would be appreciated.

did you forget to put the gas piston back in?or perhaps installed it backwards,thats the only thing that i can think of.

Really, has to be something very basic like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbf8-6_iMhg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Are you familiar with The Internet? ;)

(sounds like good call Caster)

Thanks! I was wondering what that button was for. I thought it was like the AR-bolt cam pin where it was a "lock" that had to be in a certain position to disassemble/reassemble, but it didn't quite feel like that's what it was.

Edited by monkeylizard

It's definitely not cosmoline.  I'll watch the videos, take apart the gas part and re-assemble.  That should take care of the problem.

For anyone that doesn't know, if you get an SKS with a bunch of cosmoline, you have the get the cosmo out of the firing pin assembly or you are setting yourself up for slam fires.

They are hard to take apart, so I soaked it in mineral spirits and used compressed air, then put it in the oven on a very low setting to melt the cosmo, the used compressed air and repeated the oven part.

When you shake the firing pin assembly you should hear the firing pin going back and forth.

Right. The little button should be off to one side a little. Push down on it and rotate it to the side a bit (as Garufa pointed out, effectively locking the ladder sight for the grenade launcher).

The Yugos are cool for handloaders, you don't get your brass launched I to the next county, you can have essentially a straight pull bolt action.

i say peace of mind, sure it may never happen but why not make it so it never happens at all ever

Didn't answer the question, ya know. ;)

Do you have an AR, or AK, or maybe pump shotgun? Did you "fix" them also?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Is an SKS any more likely to slam fire than any of the many other floating firing pin platforms, like AK, AR, shotguns, etc?

If so, why?

- OS

The AK probably has the heaviest bolt/carrier while the AR is the lightest with the SKS in between.  It could be that there's more inertia when the assembly comes back into battery combined with perhaps tighter headspace than a typical AK.  Could be something to do with the design/weight of the firing pin or bolt being slightly more prone to sticking.  Could also be due to age of the platform and potentially heavily worn firing pins. 

Is an SKS any more likely to slam fire than any of the many other floating firing pin platforms, like AK, AR, shotguns, etc?

If so, why?

- OS

more likely,don't know about that.when the firing pin channel is full of cosmoline if it gets missed when cleaning the gun it becomes very likely then,because firing pin cant float.