Selling Handgun To Private Party?

sigbear

I have a couple of handguns that I want to post on tngunowners, however, would it be unreasonable to ask a potential buyer to meet at a local gun dealer for the sale and request a background check? I am a little uneasy selling a firearm to a private party since I have always traded for other guns from a dealer.

Sigbear

It's not totally unreasonable, but there will be some potential buyers who will not want to do it simply because it isn't required.  You could require that your buyer have a Tennessee handgun carry permit.  That would at least let you know that they at some point passed a background check.  

• Like 4

Your sale, your rules. It's unusual, but not unreasonable. Just state it clearly in your for sale ad. Like LawVol said, it will limit some buyers, not because they won't pass the check but because they don't want the hassle.

If you're going to require it to go through an FFL, be sure you have an FFL who will do this. Some won't. Also be clear in your ad who will pay the FFL transfer/TICS fees.

The far more common way to go is to require the buyer to show a TN HCP (and maybe to sign a bill of sale). There's a sample BOS in the TGO trading post section.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

I think you will find that if you post it here, many of us will not go through the extra hassle of doing a transfer unless of course it was some super special gun.  It not only adds cost to the gun, it isn't required by law.  That being said, you have to do what you are comfortable with.  

Requesting an HCP to be shown is not a big deal.  Asking many to sign a bill of sale will also limit you some.  It isn't that any of us are trying to hide something, it is simply that we don't like to share our private info.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 5

Post up your requirements for the sale when you put up the for sale ad.  It is in very poor taste to add them after someone makes an offer.

Pretty simple.  If someone wants what you are selling they will go along with it. Those requirements are a deal breaker for lots of us, but why would you care?

• Like 2
Also, when you decide on a FFL make sure they are not a pawn shop. When a pawn shop does a transfer they have to hold it for almost a month unless it is coming from another FFL.

I sold a brand new Glock 27 because I had multiple 27's, and since I bought it on a department letterhead I required a FFL transfer. I had to sell it for significantly less just to find a buyer willing to go through the hassle.
What you want to do is up to you. Like what has already been stated by the rest it will limit who is interested. Also to post in the TGO trading post you must be a benefactor. Most people will just ask that the purchaser have a valid Tennessee HCP. Edited by raildog

A lot of this depends on what exactly makes you "a little uneasy selling a firearm to a private party."

Is it the risk of it going to an unauthorized person? If so, then as said above, the TN HCP should ease your mind on that.

Is it the risk that if it's used in a crime later it may trace back to you? If so, then a dated bill of sale should ease your mind about that.

Is it the risk of meeting a stranger to do a firearms deal? If so, then be sure to meet in a public place. Some folks do firearms deals at the local police station parking lot. Not a lot of criminals willing to meet there.

Whatever you decide, just be sure to put the requirements in your ad. As long as the buyer knows up front, none of it should be a problem.

Like raildog said, you have to be a TGO Benefactor, so pony up and get those ads up here! We all want to see what you have for sale.

Become a Benefactor here: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/store/

Edited by monkeylizard

Your gun=your way of selling.

Conversely, I ain't buying if you make me meet at a dealer for a transfer. It isn't the law, isn't necessary, and isn't worth my time.

I've sold hundreds of guns through the years with nary a problem. You hand me the cash; I hand you the gun. All that's necessary.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
As has been stated there is nothing wrong with what you want to do; especially if you are paying the transfer fees. I fulfill my legal requirements by having the person show a TN ID and signing a bill of sale and keeping it. If someone won’t sign a bill of sale and show ID; I’m not selling them a firearm.

The only way I would buy from someone with that requirement would be if it’s something really hard to find or a great price.

If I were the buyer in the transaction that you describe I would expect to pay $40 give or take less than I would otherwise expect to pay for that particular gun due to the background check and transfer fee that I would have to pay.  A bill of sale, verification or residency and asking the buyer if they are legally able to posess a firearm (get that in writing if you want) should cover issues that you may encounter.  Then again I'd probably be more willing to go through the transfer process than give a stranger that much personal info.  As a buyer I'd rather not go through any paperwork that I don't have to. 

Your gun=your way of selling.

Conversely, I ain't buying if you make me meet at a dealer for a transfer. It isn't the law, isn't necessary, and isn't worth my time.

I've sold hundreds of guns through the years with nary a problem. You hand me the cash; I hand you the gun. All that's necessary.

^^This....