Peep sight with tubing or without

Hey bow hunters, just curious which y'all prefer and why? I've only used peeps with tubing for alignment but have had several dry rot and and a couple break. I'm interested in the self aligning peep sights but want to know if they won't stay lined up, or other possible issues.

I have the self aligning on mine. Usually work just fine. Couple seasons ago I had an issue one morning. I drew down on a deer 3 times and the sights were crooked every time. That was the only issue I have ever had, just happened to be while trying to shoot a deer.

That's kind of what I was worried about. I figured if it was a big problem, I wouldn't see so many people using them, but I do.

I use the RAD Trio peep that splits the string 3 ways. There is sometimes (not always) one strand blocking, but it doesn't matter because I shoot both eyes open. I can tell it's in the way, but I still see the sight in the middle of the peep no problem

I just started training myself this year to shoot with both eyes open. I wish I'd started doing it when I first started bow hunting because I like it a lot better. Thanks for the info on the RAD trio, never heard of it before.

Here's a pic of my peep sight. The thing I like about it is that I always have a perfect circle to sight through no matter what. Even if the string is twisted to one side, the peep is 100% reliable and round. It doesn't matter if one of the split strings is right down the middle of it because it's too close for your eye to focus on it (especially if both eyes are open). It's the only peep I'll use

cadf47f22a92b13274475f9e57d3c34e_zps2vo8

My son just recently got a bow and it had a self-aligning peep that only splits the string into 2 strands. It's fine if the string is not twisted, but miserable if not unusable if it is. The problem is if the string twists to one side, the round hole becomes an oval (or worse), and you can't see through it. I'm going to replace his with the RAD Trio like mine. Here is his peep sight:
efce0752bde43490b90e3f4ae610b49a_zpshl59

There are people that don't like the Trio 3-way split though, so YMMV

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 2

In this pic of my bow, you can see how the rotational axis of the peep mounts along the string. This makes it impossible for the peep hole to "close up" if the the string is twisted to one side or the other. Man, I'm starting to get fired up about bow season now! :)

53134baee3b424f12c959596f0876162_zpsqn8d
She has a few years on her now, but the Martin Firecat is still holding up. Inspired by The Nuge... "Spirit of The Wild, baby!" Lol

• Like 1

In this pic of my bow, you can see how the rotational axis of the peep mounts along the string. This makes it impossible for the peep hole to "close up" if the the string is twisted to one side or the other. Man, I'm starting to get fired up about bow season now! :)53134baee3b424f12c959596f0876162_zpsqn8d
She has a few years on her now, but the Martin Firecat is still holding up. Inspired by The Nuge... "Spirit of The Wild, baby!" Lol

Thanks for posting the picture of the whole bow, it makes more sense now how it would line up!! Nice bow by the way and I'm pumped up for Saturday more every second that passes :up:
I'm definitely going to check that sight out, do you remember what size yours is off hand?
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting the picture of the whole bow, it makes more sense now how it would line up!! Nice bow by the way and I'm pumped up for Saturday more every second that passes :up:
I'm definitely going to check that sight out, do you remember what size yours is off hand?

Thanks.

I don't remember exactly, but it came in a pack of two (a smaller one and larger one). I'm pretty sure I used the bigger one
  • Like 1
Good deal, thanks for all of your help brother. If Murfreesboro Outdoors doesn't have one in stock for my PSE, I will buy one online and put it on my Mathews Switchback in a couple of weeks when I get it. Regardless which peep sight I'm looking through, I'm ready to see some brown hair in the sight picture!! Haha Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

Good deal, thanks for all of your help brother. If Murfreesboro Outdoors doesn't have one in stock for my PSE, I will buy one online and put it on my Mathews Switchback in a couple of weeks when I get it. Regardless which peep sight I'm looking through, I'm ready to see some brown hair in the sight picture!! Haha

No problem. Glad to help. Some people don't like the 3 string split, but I really do. You can always pop it in the string and see if you like it first before serving it in tight. Good luck, I hope you get it setup to your liking and are taking aim at a monster soon :)

BTW, the Switchback is a sweet bow!
  • Like 1