Discover / Apple Pay 10% to 20% cashback. (Literally Free Money)

GlockSpock

• Moderators

Now, I know your Daddy told you that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, but listen up. I'm about to tell you about something I realized today. I'm going to tell you how to get hundreds, up to $1050, free. You theoretically only need a Discover Card (or enough credit to get one), an iPhone 6 or better running iOS 9 or better, and a bit of time to think.

Disclaimer: All of this is meaningless if you cannot be responsible with a credit card.

Now, I'm going to assume you don't have a Discover Card. If you do not, go ahead and sign up for one here.

Simply signing up for a Discover Card will get you $50. That's not a huge pot of gold, but it is just the start.

Become a cardmember and get $50 Cashback Bonus* with your first purchase within three months, and earn rewards on every purchase after that.

After you get your Discover card in the mail, or if you already have one, all you have to do is link it to Apple Pay. Open the "Wallet" app on iOS 9, and at that point simply add your Discover card.

Now, the kicker is that until the end of this year (12/31/2015), Discover is giving 10% cash back for purchases made with the Apple Pay system. That is $10 for every $100 spent! I am 99.99% sure they are allowing 10% cashback up to $10,000 in purchases, giving you $1,000, or basically two Glocks for free.

We are excited for Discover cardmembers to have the ability to use Apple Pay. Rewards have always been important to our cardmembers, and we want to make sure they receive a generous offer for shopping with Discover and Apple Pay," said Heather Roche, vice president of rewards at Discover. "We want to encourage new and existing Discover cardmembers to add their Discover card to Apple Pay with a few simple clicks using our mobile app, take advantage of this 10% Cashback Bonus, and experience the ease and convenience of using Apple Pay.

The other kicker? If you signed up for a new card they have a promotion where they are doubling your cash back for your first 12 billing cycles.

Now, this is my take on all of it.

Now, I'm not suggesting anyone go out and spend a butload of money on stuff they cannot afford. What I am advocating is that you use your brain and purchase things with Apple Pay that you were already going to purchase.

Here are some of the stores you can use Apple Pay:

http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

Now, you can get creative. If what I suspect is true, I went into Walgreen's this morning, purchased over $100 worth of Amazon Gift cards, and should be getting $10 cashback from this. You could theoretically do this with grocery store gift cards, resteraunts, etc.

As an added bonus I'll add this. If you have a Discover Card, also make sure you login to your online account and "activate" the bonuses on the side. It looks like this:

3mi8Em9.jpg

I have two last peices of advice. Make sure to always use the cash back as "statement credit". Why? Lets say after this month I get $50 to $100 cash back from using Apple Pay a lot. If I used one of their "redemption options" such as shopping on Amazon with the cash back, that's the end of the cash back. But if I redeeem it as a statement credit (or just as effectively direct deposit it into checking), then I have $50 to $100 more money in my pocket. If I turn around and use that $50 to $100 to purchase more Amazon gift cards at Walgreen's, etc etc, then I get cash back on that purchase as well. So instead of redeeming the cash back directly at Amazon I accept a statement credit for $100, then go buy $100 worth of Amazon gift cards, I just got 10% cash back on $100. I just turned my $100 cash back into another $10, which of course I could then turn into $1, then $0.10, then $0.01. $100 cash back could actually be $111.11 cash back if you keep redeeming it as a statement credit each time.

Secondly, this is only benificial if you plan and budget your money. If you end up carrying a balance then interest will eventually acrue and you will probably not come out ahead, even with 10% cash back. Only make purchases that you have the money for. I have literally spent $10,000's over the past few years on a credit card, but I have never paid a single cent of interest. I have however received a lot of cashback, a lot of protection benifits (such as if the card gets stolen), etc. Credit cards can be a very great tool or someone's absolute downfall.

Dave Ramsey was a God send to me in the early 90s, and I owe a majority of his advice to my money management skills today.  Probablem with Dave, he assumes you are a patient person, and desire to covet is low.  Will power is required.  Same Will power to loose weight too.  I can manage money great, but not the fork & spoon. 

Edited by Runco
  • Like 2

Dave Ramsey was a God send to me in the early 90s, and I owe a majority of his advice to my money management skills today.  Probablem with Dave, he assumes you are a patient person, and desire to covet is low.  Will power is required.  Same Will power to loose weight too.  I can manage money great, but not the fork & spoon. 

There is a version of Dave Ramsey that exists in the weight management world.. He goes a little something like this:

sweatin.jpg