credit card

ironsniper1

hey everyone, does anyone know or remember a site that used to get advertised alot on tv and stuff that compared different credit cards?, i am trying to pay back my student loans and build up my credit rating and i figure if i can get a credit card with a $500 dollar spending limit, i can put my bills on that and pay it off at the 1st of the month, but i cant think of the website i am looking for

• Moderators

yeah that looks like spam to me

If you are reffering to the first link, that is basically 100% exactly what you asked for. It is a financial website that compaires checking accounts, savings accounts, financial acocunts, and credit cards.

If you are reffering to the second link, pardon me if I thought I would spend a bit of my time typing up a detailed way that anyone on TGO with an iPhone 6 and a Discover Card could get 10% back. Seeing as you are technically proficient, I assumed there is a 50/50 chance you have an iPhone (iPhone vs. Android, etc). If you were eligible for it I really didn't think you'd find better than 10% cashback on some purchases.

A friggin' credit card ain't going to get you where you want to be! :up:

It might not get you there but neither will a job. Just like a job, car, gun, etc, a credit card is a tool. If used intelligently credit cards are great. Lets pretend that you are anti-credit card. Lets say you have $3,000 in your checking account. Lets say that someone skims your card number at the atm/gas pump. Lets say that they then withdraw every penny of your money, leaving you with $0 in your checking account. Now, lets pretend that everything goes smoothly and they decide that you weren't liable for this. It could still take weeks before you get your money back. What about bills that are due during that time period?

With a credit card (and trust me, it happened to me because someone stole my Discover Card and purchased an account at Christianmingle.com), if someone steals your card number and makes purchases, you are not liable. Discover contacted me that night telling me something was weird and to call them. I called them, was informed that just an hour ago someone created an account at Christianmingle.com, asking if I did that. I told them no I did not. They canceled the card number and sent me a new one overnight. Sure, I had to swap a few automatic bill pays to the new card number. There is no way jose that it would have been that easy had they stolen a debit card number and actually stolen all of your money in your account.

I'm just a huge proponent of credit cards. I understand that some people cannot use them responsibly. However, if you want to be responible then get a credit card and use it responsibly. There are too many benifits to using a credit card not to have one.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 4

Get a credit card with no fees and pay it off every month.  Doesn't matter who you get it from as interest rates are irrelevant if you read the first sentence.  If you need a limit, you don't need a card, but tell the CC company of your choice and what you want.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5
  • Moderators

Get a credit card with no fees and pay it off every month. Doesn't matter who you get it from as interest rates are irrelevant if you read the first sentence. If you need a limit, you don't need a card, but tell the CC company of your choice what you want.

Yes, don't worry about what interest they are charging you. Worry about what benefits they are giving you.

If your intention is to ever carry a balance then you shouldn't have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Get a credit card with no fees and pay it off every month.  Doesn't matter who you get it from as interest rates are irrelevant if you read the first sentence.

Pick one that will give you something back. My Universal Card pays me couple hundred a year. I generally choose store gift cards, use at Sam and Wally.

- OS

• Like 1

If you are reffering to the first link, that is basically 100% exactly what you asked for. It is a financial website that compaires checking accounts, savings accounts, financial acocunts, and credit cards.

If you are reffering to the second link, pardon me if I thought I would spend a bit of my time typing up a detailed way that anyone on TGO with an iPhone 6 and a Discover Card could get 10% back. Seeing as you are technically proficient, I assumed there is a 50/50 chance you have an iPhone (iPhone vs. Android, etc). If you were eligible for it I really didn't think you'd find better than 10% cashback on some purchases.

It might not get you there but neither will a job. Just like a job, car, gun, etc, a credit card is a tool. If used intelligently credit cards are great. Lets pretend that you are anti-credit card. Lets say you have $3,000 in your checking account. Lets say that someone skims your card number at the atm/gas pump. Lets say that they then withdraw every penny of your money, leaving you with $0 in your checking account. Now, lets pretend that everything goes smoothly and they decide that you weren't liable for this. It could still take weeks before you get your money back. What about bills that are due during that time period?

With a credit card (and trust me, it happened to me because someone stole my Discover Card and purchased an account at Christianmingle.com), if someone steals your card number and makes purchases, you are not liable. Discover contacted me that night telling me something was weird and to call them. I called them, was informed that just an hour ago someone created an account at Christianmingle.com, asking if I did that. I told them no I did not. They canceled the card number and sent me a new one overnight. Sure, I had to swap a few automatic bill pays to the new card number. There is no way jose that it would have been that easy had they stolen a debit card number and actually stolen all of your money in your account.

I'm just a huge proponent of credit cards. I understand that some people cannot use them responsibly. However, if you want to be responible then get a credit card and use it responsibly. There are too many benifits to using a credit card not to have one.

So you are telling me that you've become independently wealthy with credit card perks? :ugh:

I have a card, and use it for convenience. I also pay the full balance monthly.

A lot of folks don't need a credit card, because they assume if the card still works, they still have money.

Yes, don't worry about what interest they are charging you. Worry about what benefits they are giving you.

If your intention is to ever carry a balance then you shouldn't have one.

Amen.

A decent credit card is da bomb. Convenient, safe, and they'll even pay you to use them. Just super, unless you use it as a loan, then it's a curse.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Moderators

So you are telling me that you've become independently wealthy with credit card perks? :ugh:

I have a card, and use it for convenience. I also pay the full balance monthly.

A lot of folks don't need a credit card, because they assume if the card still works, they still have money.

Not saying you are going to get rich. Just swing that if someone said "swipe this instead of this" and gave me cash back I would do it.

Not saying you are going to get rich. Just swing that if someone said "swipe this instead of this" and gave me cash back I would do it.

You are correct, but......the OP is wanting to shed debt and build a credit rating. He should pay cash. If he doesn't have cash, he doesn't buy it!

Screw a credit rating!

You and I are likely in a place where we can benefit a small bit from a credit card perk. It doesn't sound like the OP is.

• Moderators

You are correct, but......the OP is wanting to shed debt and build a credit rating. He should pay cash. If he doesn't have cash, he doesn't buy it!

Screw a credit rating!

You and I are likely in a place where we can benefit a small bit from a credit card perk. It doesn't sound like the OP is.

Well, that may be true. Depends on how responsible he is.

Screw a credit rating!

Pretty damn important for most people, like those who finance cars and houses and such.

Having two or three cards that you keep paid off, especially if you don't carry a balance on them very often if at all, is a super way to build it up also. Matter of fact, my current 820 FICO is pretty much built on just that over the years, as never have even financed anything big like a car or house.

Btw, over 4 cards actually knocks it back just a wee bit.

- OS

credit cards are great if used properly.   Look for the ones that have an introductory deal  ... a friend of mine got one of those before a company trip and made like $500 by paying for the whole team's hotel and food the whole trip, got paid back for his expense report, and pocketed the "earned" money for using the card.   They are good to get your credit rating established too.   Just look for the best perks, and pay it off so you never pay interest.   Amazon visa is great... we get a little money to spend at amazon and buy a few things for "free" each year, never paid a cent of interest etc.   

Just don't be the sucker that makes their system work.   Pay it off!

credit cards are great if used properly.   Look for the ones that have an introductory deal  ... a friend of mine got one of those before a company trip and made like $500 by paying for the whole team's hotel and food the whole trip, got paid back for his expense report, and pocketed the "earned" money for using the card.  ...

Yeah, I put everything I can on my Universal. Back when I had a biz, used to get that $500 or more every year. Can't do it for rent or utilities though unfortunately.

- OS

What they said, get a "no fee" card or two and pay the balance in full every time without fail. It's not a credit card, it's a convenience card. As in, you have the cash, just not on your person. I've had the same credit card for 25 years and have never paid a penny in interest.

Get all your power, water, phone, TV, Internet, etc. all in your name, and pay the bills on time every month.
  • Like 4

Go to a credit union, get a loan with a lower interest rate than what you have now.  Screw a credit card, screw a credit rating.  Need a house?  Show up with a 20% down payment and a reference from your landlord about how you pay your rent on time every month and you will get approved for a house.  The typical 1% "reward" you get for using a credit card just isn't worth it to me.  Not that I know anything I'm just a 30 something with a house that does have some mortgage on it, but I have a car, truck, boat and a couple of motorcycles all of which are paid for.  The only payment I have each month is my mortgage, it's amazing how much further my money goes now.   

• Like 1

Pretty damn important for most people, like those who finance cars and houses and such.

Having two or three cards that you keep paid off, especially if you don't carry a balance on them very often if at all, is a super way to build it up also. Matter of fact, my current 820 FICO is pretty much built on just that over the years, as never have even financed anything big like a car or house.

Btw, over 4 cards actually knocks it back just a wee bit.

- OS

I bet I have near enough credit limit on cards to pay off my house.    I use one that pays me back.   It is the only one I use.  I basically buy whatever on it, bills, purchases etc then go pay it the next day online.  I can get  gift cards back.  It is like free money.

I have worked hard to pay my bills and have good credit.  It is important.

I'm not too far from your situation 10ring, but I dig credit cards for the perks. I get basically 5% back with Academy's card when I shop there.

My Mom hasn't paid for an airline ticket since before I got my driver's license, and has never paid interest. She flies 3-4 round trips per year. There was one month, when my Grandpa was very sick/died that she forgot to pay her CC on time. They waived the interest and late fee for her.

It's fine not to take advantage of the benefits available to you, but I don't begrudge anyone smart enough to leverage things in their favor, either. :-)
  • Like 3

My Mom hasn't paid for an airline ticket since before I got my driver's license, and has never paid interest. She flies 3-4 round trips per year. There was one month, when my Grandpa was very sick/died that she forgot to pay her CC on time. They waived the interest and late fee for her.

All the biggies will waive that for ya at least once a year if you call. I've done it myself a time or three over the many years.

- OS

• Moderators
It may not be considered kosher by some, but since I use YNAB to budget every dollar that I have and generally only use my checking account to pay credit card bills, I have my bank setup to automatically pay the credit card upon bill receipt each month. I technically (unless there is a technical glitch of course) cannot miss a payment. Then of course I have YNAB setup to automatically create a new transaction for each bill at the same time each month (roughly the same time it is received). Since I YNAB just about every single day, I have a 2nd line of defense that would work against technical glitches.

However, remembering to manually pay one credit card bill is easier to pay several other bills that are setup on auto-pay to the credit card.
  • Like 1