Apple has done it again!

Sam1

Apple marches forth becoming less relevant by the day. Apple Pay is the only good idea they've copied in the last 5 years.

The business is based on selling overpriced crap. I was always amazed that they felt the need to reinvent the wheel until they went with Intel architecture and a BSD based OS. And guess what happened when they got on board with the rest of the world... sales went up! Wow, shocker.

Apple being as big as it is, and the fact that most people 25 and under know who Rhianah (or however you spell it) is but don't know who their own governor or senator is. .... is a true representation of how it has all gone wrong.

Ours, and therefore the rest of the world to which we export only culture these days, is a culture that celebrates ignorance and narcissism. This is the reason that I'm a facebook shareholder even though I don't have a facebook page. Edited by SupaRice
  • Moderators

I have a MacBook and an iPhone, work supplies me with an iPad. I'm a big apple fan because I'm not a tech guy and don't care to be. I want something I can turn on, use, and turn off without having to mess with it.

That said, I hate apple music so much if I could find an android app that was like the old iTunes used to be I would probably switch. That one forced change (came on my iPhone 6) has done more damage to my interest in apple than anything else.

Me and you both. I'm still pissed at that one and not likely to get over it.

I have refused to upgrade to the new iOS because of Apple Music and everything I have read and heard from folks using it has pushed me dangerously close to abandoning Apple. My music collection is a major part of my tech experience and Apple Music is a huge threat to my enjoyment of it. I have been an admitted Apple fanboy for many years now and Apple music is a major misstep in this fanboy's eyes.

You guys know you can turn Apple music off so that it isn't shown right? I mean...I operate my phone and music just the same as I did before after turning that mess off, aside from the aesthetics of the new player. 75cd0c7b3a670923ae15b0a803b722f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KKing

10.  I like Tim Cook's recent thoughts on user privacy and the fact that they're starting to implement things in a way that neither Apple or other interested parties can get access to without users' permission.  This is a significant difference between them and Google - at least right now.  For Google - we're still the ultimate product.  If the current power grabs within government in the name of 'national security' and 'finding terrorists' continue - then Google is going to need to struggle with this as well.  There is some significant stuff going on right now in the courts - actually Microsoft is taking the lead in the current cases.  It is worth watching where it goes.

I'm glad some of the CEO's like Tim Cook are talking about user privacy, especially in light of how the government is ready to intrude upon it at will.  It's an important topic we need to discuss in the public sphere.

One thing I love about Android over Apple is the fact that it's open source, and can be modified by users.  My preferred version, CyanogenMod, has some great privacy options, and I can get more from all the developers out there.  With Apple, as far as I know, I'd have to take what they give me.  Then there is the fact that as a company, I don't know how willing they are to challenge a DOJ order, or what will happen if a court rules against them on something.  It's just not a situation I'm comfortable enough with. 

• Admin Team

I'm glad some of the CEO's like Tim Cook are talking about user privacy, especially in light of how the government is ready to intrude upon it at will.  It's an important topic we need to discuss in the public sphere.

One thing I love about Android over Apple is the fact that it's open source, and can be modified by users.  My preferred version, CyanogenMod, has some great privacy options, and I can get more from all the developers out there.  With Apple, as far as I know, I'd have to take what they give me.  Then there is the fact that as a company, I don't know how willing they are to challenge a DOJ order, or what will happen if a court rules against them on something.  It's just not a situation I'm comfortable enough with. 

I'll see if I can find a video of Cook's recent comments  - here's a link - they we're basically a mea culpa where he said that we as consumers have been way too willing to trade security/privacy for convenience, and that Apple had been all to willing to facilitate that trade for more access to consumer data.  With all of the Snowden revelations - and moreover with the post-9/11 power grab by the government - they really realized the cost associated with that tradeoff, and have decided to push back.  This is fundamentally important.  It could be as historically significant as Phil Zimmermann refusing to backdoor PGP back in the day.  The stance could frankly be Tim Cook's legacy. Mind you, this will take consistent vigilance, but I'm excited to see a company making a stand.

At least right now, I think Apple is in the better position here than Google.  I recognize that Android is largely open sourced, and Google corporate is not Android per se.  That said, Google's business model is still us.  They're not as valuable without all of the data on us.  They're going to have some work to do in the next few years.

Microsoft is actively fighting a court case to watch right now.  It's going to have huge ramifications in the privacy space.

To some extent, I think we as consumers - and certainly the big tech companies are starting to realize the costs associated with the never ending so called Global War on Terror.  We're going to have to push back at some point

• Like 2

Tim Cook is already beyond talking about privacy, Apple has already implemented end to end encryption in iMessage beginning with iOS 8. They are running to real encryption platform wide as fast as they can to keep from being seen in a bad light when they are forced to hand over users' data by court order.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/09/10/apple-imessages-end-to-end-encryption-stymies-us-data-request/

Any company who's being threatened by the DOJ, FBI, or the NSA for being "too secure" is doing something right in my book. :)

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2015/0909/Justice-Department-considered-suing-Apple-over-iMessage-encryption

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=022002OGBQBO

I'm puzzled by the pencil. I've read a couple of reviews and watched a YouTube video and my question is still unanswered.

Why would anyone who isn't a professional designer or artist want one of these things? If it were free, I doubt that I would find a use for it.

I'll see if I can find a video of Cook's recent comments  - here's a link - they we're basically a mea culpa where he said that we as consumers have been way too willing to trade security/privacy for convenience, and that Apple had been all to willing to facilitate that trade for more access to consumer data.  With all of the Snowden revelations - and moreover with the post-9/11 power grab by the government - they really realized the cost associated with that tradeoff, and have decided to push back.  This is fundamentally important.  It could be as historically significant as Phil Zimmermann refusing to backdoor PGP back in the day.  The stance could frankly be Tim Cook's legacy. Mind you, this will take consistent vigilance, but I'm excited to see a company making a stand.

At least right now, I think Apple is in the better position here than Google.  I recognize that Android is largely open sourced, and Google corporate is not Android per se.  That said, Google's business model is still us.  They're not as valuable without all of the data on us.  They're going to have some work to do in the next few years.

Microsoft is actively fighting a court case to watch right now.  It's going to have huge ramifications in the privacy space.

To some extent, I think we as consumers - and certainly the big tech companies are starting to realize the costs associated with the never ending so called Global War on Terror.  We're going to have to push back at some point

Yeah, a lot of this is on the people who don't know, or don't care about what the government is doing, and that's a shame.  Lack of numbers in opposition is the #1 reason the .gov gets away with what they do.  The things Snowden blew the whistle on were so bad they made conspiracy theorists look good.  I also agree with you that the Microsoft case pending is a big deal.

I get that Google is far from in the right on this one, but I like being able to wipe their stock OS away with a chosen alternative that is subject to scrutiny by the developer community, who won't hesitate to call out a product that isn't up to snuff.  Apple has no such ability best as I know.

If any company is going to take up this fight, it probably needs to be Apple.  They have the name, money, and following to put up resistance to the government and hopefully reverse the bad things that have been happening.  You have to think that the powers that be in the FBI and DOJ are going to rethink coming heavy handed against a company like Apple.

Any company who's being threatened by the DOJ, FBI, or the NSA for being "too secure" is doing something right in my book. :)

DOJ throws around terms like that for anybody who doesn't bend over without complaint.  All part of an overall strategy to discredit someone as a threat to national security.  That said, they are legitimately worried about Apple thinking about security and privacy just based on users alone who would have those configurations by default. 

Edited by btq96r
  • Moderators

I'm puzzled by the pencil. I've read a couple of reviews and watched a YouTube video and my question is still unanswered.

Why would anyone who isn't a professional designer or artist want one of these things? If it were free, I doubt that I would find a use for it.

They probably wouldn't. That being said, it only works with the iPad Pro, which is targeting graphic designers and the like.

The MacBook may not appeal at all to me writing code, running a couple different VMs or doing forensic work.  

That's interesting.  We have had the opposite experience.  All of our developers do their work on a MBP or iMac.  We even do all of our Android programming on macs.  Its funny when we hire a new android developer and hand them a mac.  They always gripe and complain for the first couple of days.  After about a week every one of them has said they can't believe how much better they like coding on a mac.

What CZ said.  I will probably buy a couple for my design department but I do not see the everyday mac user using one of these.

• Admin Team

That's interesting.  We have had the opposite experience.  All of our developers do their work on a MBP or iMac.  We even do all of our Android programming on macs.  Its funny when we hire a new android developer and hand them a mac.  They always gripe and complain for the first couple of days.  After about a week every one of them has said they can't believe how much better they like coding on a mac.

Sorry - wrong MacBook.  I do all my day-to-day work on a MBP.  I was talking the new little MacBook with the one USB-C port in my post above.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I'm going to give it a whirl.  My specific use case would be to take notes in a digital format without having a laptop screen sitting between me and the person I'm interviewing.

I was a PC/ Android guy since I started buying electronics. A couple months ago I decided to break down and get an iPhone 6 and this thing is sooo much easier to use than an android. I'm looking forward to trying out an iMac and seeing how I like it. No small part of that is that I absolutely loathe the new Windows operating systems since XP
  • Moderators

I was a PC/ Android guy since I started buying electronics. A couple months ago I decided to break down and get an iPhone 6 and this thing is sooo much easier to use than an android. I'm looking forward to trying out an iMac and seeing how I like it. No small part of that is that I absolutely loathe the new Windows operating systems since XP

Once you get used to OS X, while it does have it's learning curves, it is nearly impossible to get away from it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

By the way for any interested, I just installed the El Capitan GM last night and I am astounded at how fluid and responsive everything is. Huge improvement by switching to Metal.

If you don't know what any of this means, just know that the OS X update that is coming at the end of this month is awesome.

You guys know you can turn Apple music off so that it isn't shown right? I mean...I operate my phone and music just the same as I did before after turning that mess off, aside from the aesthetics of the new player.

I tried that on mine, it made absolutely no difference. I want to be able to sort my music by artist, album, or song and view them all. I used to be able to see all my songs, hit play, shuffle, and have hours of various artists and albums without having to touch anything. Don't see how to do that with Apple Music.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I tried that on mine, it made absolutely no difference. I want to be able to sort my music by artist, album, or song and view them all. I used to be able to see all my songs, hit play, shuffle, and have hours of various artists and albums without having to touch anything. Don't see how to do that with Apple Music.

I have heard this from everyone who has switched to the new iOS. These are the reasons why I refuse to upgrade. To explain a little further, these functions were core to how I interacted with my music. Without them, I might as well burn it all off to CDs and go back to a non-digital music ecosystem. The ability to interact with my music much like I would with physical CDs was what drew me into the Apple iTunes world and without it, I might as well not bother. I spend between $50-$100 monthly on music. I have no issue with ordering physical CDs from Amazon again. Edited by Chucktshoes

I can arrange mine by all those things you mentioned, but I cannot find out how to shuffle. I've never used shuffle so that's why I didn't notice it was missing. But viewing by all the things you mentioned is still easily done in my library

• Moderators

I can arrange mine by all those things you mentioned, but I cannot find out how to shuffle. I've never used shuffle so that's why I didn't notice it was missing. But viewing by all the things you mentioned is still easily done in my library

The only way to shuffle is to have Siri do it.

The only way to shuffle is to have Siri do it.

I am on the preview program or whatever you call it and currently have iOS 9 installed. I didn't look to see what it was like before but shuffle is right there at the top of the music app if you just scroll the screen down. Right above the "recently added" section. I can also sort by artist, song, etc. Looks like if you guys can wait a few more days for the rollout they will have that fixed.  :up:

• Moderators

I am on the preview program or whatever you call it and currently have iOS 9 installed. I didn't look to see what it was like before but shuffle is right there at the top of the music app if you just scroll the screen down. Right above the "recently added" section. I can also sort by artist, song, etc. Looks like if you guys can wait a few more days for the rollout they will have that fixed. :up:

Is that in Apple Music or is that available without having Music turned on? I'm going to continue to hold off until I am assured the issues with the new music app are fixed. I have no interest in music streaming at all and well over half of my phone's 64gig of memory is music and digital is just a small portion of my music collection.

It is reassuring that they seem to be listening to the many complaints and horrid reviews and are fixing some of the things they broke with the intro of Apple Music.