Any Gallatin car mechanics on here that can help out a brother?

Steelharp

As of 30 minutes ago, BOTH of my vehicles are in my driveway, stuck. What just happened is the '01 Sable started overheating. Yes, it has water and oil, This is just random. It has that expensive 24V DOHC engine in it. (It was Mom's car.) Anyway, I am STUCK. I need a repair done in my driveway so I can get to work, etc. I can't afford a tow.

Anybody?

As of 30 minutes ago, BOTH of my vehicles are in my driveway, stuck. What just happened is the '01 Sable started overheating. Yes, it has water and oil, This is just random. It has that expensive 24V DOHC engine in it. (It was Mom's car.) Anyway, I am STUCK. I need a repair done in my driveway so I can get to work, etc. I can't afford a tow.

Anybody?

Ok You said you had two vehicles stuck. What is the other vehicle and what is wrong with it?

• Like 1

The other is a '94 Plymouth Grand Voyager that MIGHT have a fuel pump issue. Not sure exactly what it is, though. It sputtered and died as I pulled in one day. It starts, and it runs in the driveway, but I haven't taken it out.

The potential fuel pump issue seems like it would be a lot easier to deal with than blown head gaskets and potentially cracked heads.

When was the fuel filter changed? Could be a cheap easy fix? How long does it stay running does it quit as soon as the fuel pump heats up? Which might point more towards a bad fuel pump. Edited by wcd

Anybody?

Water in the oil, or you mean it isn't dry of fluids?

well providing you didn't blow any head gasket or crack a head it could be as little as a water pump or bad thermostat, if you go to craigs list you might find a local mobile mechanic that would be willing to come to you and fix it, all be it for a price. Mobile mechanics are out there you just have to look for one, especially being a rural as we are here someone runs a mobile service, but ask for references if you have time to do so, good luck in your quest.
A simple thing to check first would be the cooling fan fuse. Not likely to be that easy but look at the easy stuff first. Also check for any loose or broken belts on the water pump

How much gas does your Voyager have? Maybe is has some contaminants in the tank if your fuel level is low. I have a Dodge ram truck the acks like that when it's low on gas. It runs like a top if it has more than a 1/4 tank, but will sputter and ack goofy if below 1/4.

I'm just trying to think of the easy stuff first. Good luck Edited by Wingshooter

check the belts-make sure they are there, see if the fans are operating-if they are electric turn the a/c on because they should always be running when the a/c compressor is running.  Finally when it is hot, SHUT ENGINE OFF and feel the radiator hoses-if one is hot and one is cold most likely a bad thermostat or radiator restriction. hope this helps.

Edited by Rhodewarrior
  • Like 1

Ok, fans do come on. All belts seem to be in place and fine. As far as hoses... under this hood, the radiator is completely enclosed in the grille, and the only visible hoses are the tiny ones that come from the plastic overflow. Those don't seem to be of different temp.

As far as gas in the Voyager, it's full. It started shutting down after I filled up...

I've been in your position and sympathize but recommend you find the closest reliable repair shop, set up an early morning appointment and limp the overheating car in. You might get lucky and only be there two or three hours or you might have to leave the vehicle for a day or two. Of the two vehicles neither sound like anything other than middling repair work with some parts swapping involved.    

• Like 1

Ok, fans do come on. All belts seem to be in place and fine. As far as hoses... under this hood, the radiator is completely enclosed in the grille, and the only visible hoses are the tiny ones that come from the plastic overflow. Those don't seem to be of different temp.

As far as gas in the Voyager, it's full. It started shutting down after I filled up...

Water in the gas? I've had this happen before.....more than once.

• Like 4

I'm going to piggyback on this because I have a question. Oil pressure drops when idling causing the check gauges light to come on. When driving or moving moves back into the regular range. I've seen this happen before on a vehicle with several miles on it and never saw it drop that low when idling. Should I be concerned?

I'm going to piggyback on this because I have a question. Oil pressure drops when idling causing the check gauges light to come on. When driving or moving moves back into the regular range. I've seen this happen before on a vehicle with several miles on it and never saw it drop that low when idling. Should I be concerned?

What vehicle and engine? My old Jeep with a 4.0 would idle at 6-7 psi and bump up when driving. Normal for that engine.

Any Chevrolet I ever had, including the one I have now, shows low oil pressure at idle. The one I have now is an 01 Silverado with the same engine as yours. The oil pressure needle wiggles at idle, and jumps up and stays there when the throttle is pressed. It doesn't cause the check engine light to come one, however.

2000 Tahoe 5.7

You may want to look over your vacuum hoses before replacing the oil pump. A broken vacuum hose can drop the idle down below factory settings and that will cause oil light to flash on idle. Also you can go to any parts house and get your computer scanned for free. The oil light should be putting a code in the memory of the on board computer telling you what may be causing the problem. Could be a defective oil sending unit not getting proper OP readings............jmho 

• Like 1