Walther P22 problems .....

Fourtyfive

I got the pistol about 5 years ago new , just shot it this weekend. Using full powered .22 LR the slide will lay the hammer back and lock in place but not cycle a round in the chamber very frequently.

I had a p22 for a few years.  I abused it for a few years and then the firing pin spring had to be replaced and I could get at it.  I paid $200 for the gun.  Shot more then 15,000 rounds though it then sold it during a gun buyback for $150.  It would have cost me more then $100 to have someone replace the spring so it wasn't a useful gun at that point.  I liked it enough I might go buy another one at some point.  You problem.  1) Make sure you don't get any ammo that is sitting straight up.  Have had that and it caused problems.  2) I had to hand bend one of my mag out just a little to loosen the release a little when I was having feeding problems.  Use your thumb to push the rounds out if they don't just slide right out it likely means the mag are a little to tight in the top.

Thanks

Robert

PS.  I shot the cheapest crappiest ammo out of that gun with very little problems just need to lobe it up ever 1000 rounds or so.

I use CCI minimags with zero issues. It will take the Federal bulk stuff, but I'll get a FTF on average once per mag. Usually it's similar to the OP. Racks the slide fare enough to set the hammer, but not far enough to grab the next round in the mag. I never did anything to it but clean it and lube it. It's about 5 years old and came the the "B" magazine.

Edited by monkeylizard

I've got one that's never shot a full mag without a fail to feed. I tried different mags and it's the same thing. I kept trying it with different ammo re-chambering if it failed to feed and now it won't shoot at all even if it does chamber correctly.. I know it's a cheap pistol, but DAMN. I have the cheapest Buckmark  made that I bought 10 years ago and it eats anything and everything for as long as I want to shoot without a hiccup. I do have my P22 torn down and I have the file Mikegideon referenced. As soon as it' gets too cold to fish or hunt, I'm break'n out the dremmel tool and going though it. I know I can't make it worse. I'll see what happens. Its a S&W made Walther and all I've ever gotten out of either of them is something like "You've probably been shooting hi velocity Stingers thru it and it's not designed for those" BS. Good luck.

I've got one that's never shot a full mag without a fail to feed. I tried different mags and it's the same thing. I kept trying it with different ammo re-chambering if it failed to feed and now it won't shoot at all even if it does chamber correctly.. I know it's a cheap pistol, but DAMN. I have the cheapest Buckmark  made that I bought 10 years ago and it eats anything and everything for as long as I want to shoot without a hiccup. I do have my P22 torn down and I have the file Mikegideon referenced. As soon as it' gets too cold to fish or hunt, I'm break'n out the dremmel tool and going though it. I know I can't make it worse. I'll see what happens. Its a S&W made Walther and all I've ever gotten out of either of them is something like "You've probably been shooting hi velocity Stingers thru it and it's not designed for those" BS. Good luck.

I have had many failure to files in my P22.  But it wasn't because it failed to rack a round.  It was because the firing pin failed to hit the round hard enough because the pull back spring failed to move the firing pin back far enough.  In my case it fired well for a while then started to get more and more failure to fires.  Looking at the rounds they came out dimpled but not fired.  Put the rounds into my LCR-22 and they fired fine.  The problem got worse and worse until I finally had to stop using the gun.  Replacing the spring didn't look that hard but I couldn't get the 1 pin out of the weapon.  If they had used a sold pin it would have been easy but the hollow pin they use I couldn't find the right tool to pop it out.  I finally gave up and sold the gun for 3/4 of what I paid after shooting around 15,000 rounds though the gun.

Thanks

Robert

You would think Walther could build a gun....

The problem with this was Walther let S&W build them with the Walther name. I believe Walther cut ties and builds them now without any complaints.

Think Dahmler Chrysler, Mercedes was losing their arse and getting a bad rep. Cut ties and all is good.

Can't speak of the M&P but do hold my stock in their revolvers. Edited by Ugly

Think it was the other way around.....S&W had their original 22 auto built by Walther.....says so on the side.  Due to the problems Smith brought it all 'inside', hence the new compact.

I called S&W a few months ago about mine since they had tried to fix it a few years ago, but didn't. They said they no longer service the Walther P22 and sent me to Walther. Walther refused to take it because I don't know what S&W did to it since there no explanation from them when I got the pistol back. That just seemed like an out for Walther. I'm going to try it myself this winter and if I can't fix it, then I guess I'll try to sell it for parts or take it to one of those gun buy backs that Middle mentioned above. LOL