HELP, New to State and Wanting to Buy first firearm

leprechaun

Don't worry , no chance of voting dem here lol. And if i were happy with the way things are done in Ny id stay there haha. Im moving to Middle Tennessee Nashville/Murfreesboro   area. I've family there.

Welcome (soon) to TN. Since I've lived in mid-TN/Murfreesboro area my whole life, I'm a bit prejudiced, but I commend you on your choice of where to hang your hat.

Let us know when you get settled in and get ready to look for gun shops, shooting ranges, and the like. You'll be near a LOT of great spots.

Another known fact if it isn't a Glock it just wont work, it will jam all the time and just break after 50 rounds.

We like our gun myths here. 

Now if you ever buy a Ruger revolver you can reload your own ammo with C-4, it will handle it.

Shot a Glock 21 Gen 4 for the first time today, LOVED IT! I'm currently shopping for my own. 

Shot a Glock 21 Gen 4 for the first time today, LOVED IT! I'm currently shopping for my own. 

It's a lot of gun, been carrying a 21SF gen 3 for years now, when I pick up a full size 1911 it almost feels like a compact. I always said I wanted something more compact but the last time I was in Royal Range in Bellvue I was really checking out the 41 witch is an inch longer. Probably give my ammo maybe 100fps more and more accurate. Me thinks me like the 41.  :)

Like rmiddle we switched plates and license soon after we moved from Western NY in June. Wanted to get settled into a free life as soon as possible. The last plates I switched over were for my antique cars because one of those was shipped in after we moved and I wanted to do them all at once. It took less paperwork and time to register them in TN and apply for TN title than it did to turn in the plates after NY-DMV threatened me because they thought I droped insurance on them (company canceled and reissued the policy since we moved to a different state).

Miss some good friends back in NY and still looking for a new pizza joint that I like, but that is about all I miss from NY. I'm sure as Winter approaches there will be a lot less to miss. Unfortunately since our NY house hasn't sold yet we will still be paying the tax bill up there at least one more time. Yes the taxes seem to vary depending on where in the state and if you are in the country or town.

One thing to read up on to see if it affects you is the Hall tax. It is a tax on capital gains and dividends depending on where your money is stashed. There are exemptions and retirement and simple interest don't count. Just don't be surprised it can be lived with and minimized.

You will love life in TN.

Just to be clear to OP:

There is no transfer fee to buy from a TN FFL, only the $10 for TICS background check.  Transfer fees are charged for guns bought out of state and shipped to FFL for transfer.

- OS

That's not necessarily correct.  The FFL sets their own transfer fee.  Correct, the TICS is $10.  However, the transfer cost isn't to get a gun from out of state, or out of the area, to a local FFL.  The transfer fee covers the cost to move the firearm, whether shipped in or already in stock, from the FFL A&D book to the customer.  Technically there is no cost to an FFL for that paperwork other than time.  And that is what the transfer charge is.  The time spent to do the paperwork, the usage of a license which cost the FFL money to get and maintain.  Now, if you have an FFL that only charges BGC and not a transfer fee for in-stock guns, well good deal then, I'd keep going back to that guy.  Most places that I know don't run that way, including me, except for a few circumstances.

Now, back to the OP:  Regardless of whether you pay $10 or $35 or whatever, welcome to a 2A friendly state!  I hope you find a lot of enjoyment in the shooting sports and hobby that you may not have had in NY.

That's not necessarily correct.  The FFL sets their own transfer fee.  Correct, the TICS is $10.  However, the transfer cost isn't to get a gun from out of state, or out of the area, to a local FFL.  The transfer fee covers the cost to move the firearm, whether shipped in or already in stock, from the FFL A&D book to the customer.  Technically there is no cost to an FFL for that paperwork other than time.  And that is what the transfer charge is.  The time spent to do the paperwork, the usage of a license which cost the FFL money to get and maintain. 

I've never heard of ANY TN FFL that charges a transfer fee for selling a gun from his own stock, even if he has to order it for the customer. None. Zero.

- OS

• Like 4

I've never heard of ANY TN FFL that charges a transfer fee for selling a gun from his own stock, even if he has to order it for the customer. None. Zero.

- OS

Could be SOP for the home based FFL guys? I've never engaged their services so I wouldn't know, but I've not been charged anything but the $10 TICS since leaving Ca where they do charge about $35 or so IIRC with $10 going to the state and up to $25 going to the dealer. 

*Only exception to that would be for the few items shipped into an FFL like the TGO receiver set and the like. Even then I did that through D&T and they only charged us what, $15?

Could be SOP for the home based FFL guys? I've never engaged their services so I wouldn't know, but I've not been charged anything but the $10 TICS since leaving Ca where they do charge about $35 or so IIRC with $10 going to the state and up to $25 going to the dealer. 

*Only exception to that would be for the few items shipped into an FFL like the TGO receiver set and the like. Even then I did that through D&T and they only charged us what, $15?

Neither of those cases are FFL selling from their own stock. Obviously, if you have something sent to any FFL you've bought out of state, that's a different story.

Any FFL that charged an extra fee for buying a firearm from him wouldn't be in biz selling guns very long period, and I honestly don't think there's ever been any that even tried. Obviously, one can build whatever profit he wants in the selling price, and it sells at that or it doesn't, but the idea of an extra "handling charge" would just stick in anyone's craw.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

That's not necessarily correct.  The FFL sets their own transfer fee.  Correct, the TICS is $10.  However, the transfer cost isn't to get a gun from out of state, or out of the area, to a local FFL.  The transfer fee covers the cost to move the firearm, whether shipped in or already in stock, from the FFL A&D book to the customer.  Technically there is no cost to an FFL for that paperwork other than time.  And that is what the transfer charge is.  The time spent to do the paperwork, the usage of a license which cost the FFL money to get and maintain.  Now, if you have an FFL that only charges BGC and not a transfer fee for in-stock guns, well good deal then, I'd keep going back to that guy.  Most places that I know don't run that way, including me, except for a few circumstances.

Now, back to the OP:  Regardless of whether you pay $10 or $35 or whatever, welcome to a 2A friendly state!  I hope you find a lot of enjoyment in the shooting sports and hobby that you may not have had in NY.

You obviously speak from experience. What FFL charges transfer fees for in stock guns? I need to keep an eye out for his "Going out of business" sale. BTW, I have never heard of a dealer charging a "transfer" fee on an in stock gun.

It is your prerogative to do what you want but I can assure you that most will not agree to pay a "transfer" fee on in stock guns. That is just an extra "cost" that WILL drive customers away. If you want to get extra money for handling the gun then increase the price of the gun instead of charging the customer for some "hidden" fee once they get to your store. I always hated businesses that try to charge some sort of fee for something that should be free or at least rolled into the price. By having all these other fees you are fooling customers into thinking you have a price that is lower than it really is and that is deceptive.

• Like 1

That's not necessarily correct. The FFL sets their own transfer fee. Correct, the TICS is $10. However, the transfer cost isn't to get a gun from out of state, or out of the area, to a local FFL. The transfer fee covers the cost to move the firearm, whether shipped in or already in stock, from the FFL A&D book to the customer. Technically there is no cost to an FFL for that paperwork other than time. And that is what the transfer charge is. The time spent to do the paperwork, the usage of a license which cost the FFL money to get and maintain. Now, if you have an FFL that only charges BGC and not a transfer fee for in-stock guns, well good deal then, I'd keep going back to that guy. Most places that I know don't run that way, including me, except for a few circumstances.

Now, back to the OP: Regardless of whether you pay $10 or $35 or whatever, welcome to a 2A friendly state! I hope you find a lot of enjoyment in the shooting sports and hobby that you may not have had in NY.

You obviously speak from experience. What FFL charges transfer fees for in stock guns? I need to keep an eye out for his "Going out of business" sale. BTW, I have never heard of a dealer charging a "transfer" fee on an in stock gun.

It is your prerogative to do what you want but I can assure you that most will not agree to pay a "transfer" fee on in stock guns. That is just an extra "cost" that WILL drive customers away. If you want to get extra money for handling the gun then increase the price of the gun instead of charging the customer for some "hidden" fee once they get to your store. I always hated businesses that try to charge some sort of fee for something that should be free or at least rolled into the price. By having all these other fees you are fooling customers into thinking you have a price that is lower than it really is and that is deceptive.

I personally would pay a higher OTD price at the shop down the street before I would ever pay a "transfer" fee for an in-stock gun. I have bought my share of guns over the years, and I have never experienced an FFL openly admitting to a transfer fee tacked on for guns in stock. Edited by Wingshooter

I personally would pay a higher OTD price at the shop down the street before I would ever pay a "transfer" fee for an in-stock gun. I have bought my share of guns over theyears, and I have never experienced this.

Well I guess I'm eating crow on this one.  I seemed to recall that being standard practice, and I know I've paid both in the past for in-stock items.  However, after I did some checking with other dealers in and out of TN they all stated that was, in fact, NOT standard.  I'm home based, I don't keep stock, and have only done internet transfers thus far...looks like I'm the ass on this conversation and I learned a little something new today business-wise.  

Edited by ARO Matt
  • Like 1

Well I guess I'm eating crow on this one. I seemed to recall that being standard practice, and I know I've paid both in the past for in-stock items. However, after I did some checking with other dealers in and out of TN they all stated that was, in fact, NOT standard. I'm home based, I don't keep stock, and have only done internet transfers thus far...looks like I'm the ass on this conversation and I learned a little something new today business-wise.

Hey, I learn something new from TGO everyday :)

I always expect to pay a transfer + TICs for internet transfers, etc. (basically, anytime the shop is not making money on the deal). All FFLs roll their fee for running the store/overhead into the price of in stock guns as mark-up. They just call it markup or profit instead of "transfer" I guess. Edited by Wingshooter

Have you tried Joey's House of Pizza? I absolutely love the place and the people that own it, but I'm curious how it stacks up.

Only one I see listed is in the Nashville area, bit far to go for pizza, from East TN. Will keep it in mind for our next trip that way though. After I re-read my note, I wanted to clarify, didn't mean I haven't found good pizza just not reasonably close and good. But still checking them out. My wife limits how often I eat pizza out since she makes the great pizza most every Saturday night. Also now BBQ joints are crowding out my eating out choices, so many to choose from and so many really good ones.

Hi Leprechaun!

I recently moved my family  from (Rochester) NY to TN. Great decision, you won't regret it!

There are gun shops all around, 2nd only to churches. Most shops offer the 8-hour gun-safety course for $40-45, the pre-requisite to getting licensed for carry in TN. After the course, it's a trip to the county Courthouse for permit application. FYI, you can get Class III weapons in TN. Good times!

Folks here are considerably more friendly than what you and I are used to, but they do cock their head and look at you funny once you open your mouth. Casually mention you left NY to get away from all the whack-jobs and crazy politics, and they'll warm right up, and ask how cold it really gets up there.

Got a friend outside Nashville (Lasscassis), also a transplant from NY. Nice country out that way. I'm outside Knoxville. Reminds me of the Finger Lakes and ADK's. Just gorgeous country here. Lush and green, fantastic weather. Have met a lot of transplants. So far we are very happy w/ the move. Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

C'mon now, the 9's aren't THAT bad, are they really? Hollow point is still going to leave a big hole on the way out, won't it?

- K

Hey there,

First off im very sorry if this is in the wrong section which i think it is,

But. ill be moving from NY to TN at Christmas and will be wanting to buy a pistol...

• Like 1