Knife Repair Needed

Pictured below is an automatic knife my grandfather bought in the 1920s.   It was in really bad shape by the time we came across it.

Who might be able to get this thing in working order?  or, do you have suggestions that I can do myself?

Due to sentimental value I would really like to get it repaired.

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/pete2041/library/Guns/Knife

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/pete2041/media/Guns/Knife/IMG_0506_zpsk7jrp1cp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Edited by Pete123
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Odds are slim that it will actually work after cleanup... but you never know.  As above... clean it up, see what you have.  If the spring survived and if the release and lock work, it might make it.

Edited by Jonnin

My Grandpaw would be slight over a 100 and 5  if he were still alive.  He was a believer of soaking old rusty Knives and and other stuff he found in good old USA Coke a Cola overnight.  Best I remember they seemed to open after that bath.   

My Grandpaw would be slight over a 100 and 5  if he were still alive.  He was a believer of soaking old rusty Knives and and other stuff he found in good old USA Coke a Cola overnight.  Best I remember they seemed to open after that bath.   

soft drinks are acidic and can clean metal pretty nicely.   But a switchblade might have some nooks that gluey sugary mess will clog up (just like wd40, which also becomes nasty after a bit).

Gas works for the first pass, if there is no plastic on it.   Kroil might get it loose inside.   But looking at it, it needs to come apart, get a detail cleaning with a wire brush ... probably a brush on a dremel...   if possible.    If not possible, chemistry might work but beware damage to the handle with harsh stuff.