lady purse carry ?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Purse carry is generally frowned upon, for the multitude of negative reasons. Pretty sure it's been discussed on here before... but you can do a search on any decent firearms forum and usually find a ton of people against it. It's neither secure nor practical to access, among the other "cons" that you'll find. Might want to have her research it more.

I used to purse carry.....until I was the victim of a "two person distract & grab" scam. I lost my Taurus full titanium ported .38 :cry:along with an expensive digital camera, money, credit cards, checkbook, I.D.'s....everything. I've never carried in my purse since. A former U.S. Marshall once told me that all a gun in a purse is good for is to knock your attacker over the head with. He's right, and I wish I'd taken his advice then. Luckily, the people that stole my purse weren't out to hurt me. Most likely, if you're in a situation where you need to draw your weapon, if you have to take time to grab it out of your purse it will be too late. Tell you're wife/girlfriend? that purse carry is definitely not the way to go.

Purse carry is generally frowned upon, for the multitude of negative reasons. Pretty sure it's been discussed on here before... but you can do a search on any decent firearms forum and usually find a ton of people against it. It's neither secure nor practical to access, among the other "cons" that you'll find. Might want to have her research it more.

+ several.Purse carry is a terrible idea, IMO, and I URGE my female HCP students against it.

I used to purse carry.....until I was the victim of a "two person distract & grab" scam. I lost my Taurus full titanium ported .38 :cry:along with an expensive digital camera, money, credit cards, checkbook, I.D.'s....everything. I've never carried in my purse since. A former U.S. Marshall once told me that all a gun in a purse is good for is to knock your attacker over the head with. He's right, and I wish I'd taken his advice then. Luckily, the people that stole my purse weren't out to hurt me. Most likely, if you're in a situation where you need to draw your weapon, if you have to take time to grab it out of your purse it will be too late. Tell you're wife/girlfriend? that purse carry is definitely not the way to go.

Could there be any better example of why not to Purse Carry :D.

Guest VolGrad

I try to never carry a purse. lol.

I think the others have posted why purse carry is not such a good idea. I feel the same way about using one of those "jackets" that has an integrated holster or a fanny pack ... unless you physically NEVER take it off. I had a J frame in the inside of my jacket last evening at dinner but made sure the jacket was never "off" me.

BTW - My wife is from Friendsville. I am sure you would know her family give the size of the town.

yes its a huge town. One store and a post office unfortunately lake developement has changed a lot of this.

In 1973 I lived on a friend's newly purchased farm for 8 months out that way, had a Friendsville postal address.

Took me a month to FIND the post office.

- OS

Guest macmonkey

IMO a gun in the purse is better than no gun at all. My girlfriend has one in her purse because that is the only option for her.

She's been taking Krav Maga for a few months to supplement the fact that she will need:

1) A heightened state of alert when out of the house.

2) A plan for when a draw is needed.

She keeps her hand on the gun and keys in left hand ready to go when leaving / arriving at work or wherever.

Guest DylisTN
IMO a gun in the purse is better than no gun at all. My girlfriend has one in her purse because that is the only option for her.

She's been taking Krav Maga for a few months to supplement the fact that she will need:

1) A heightened state of alert when out of the house.

2) A plan for when a draw is needed.

She keeps her hand on the gun and keys in left hand ready to go when leaving / arriving at work or wherever.

In his book "More Guns, Less Crime" tells of a woman who killed a would be car jacker. She never took the gun out of purse, simply shot through it. No telling what would have happened to her and her kid, if she hadn't had the gun. Also ended a car jacking spree. She had tried to get the guy to take the car and just let her and her kid go. He should have taken that deal.

A gun in the car, purse, fanny pack, trunk . . . might not be ideal. But, it might be the only option.

In his book "More Guns, Less Crime" tells of a woman who killed a would be car jacker. She never took the gun out of purse, simply shot through it. No telling what would have happened to her and her kid, if she hadn't had the gun. Also ended a car jacking spree. She had tried to get the guy to take the car and just let her and her kid go. He should have taken that deal.

A gun in the car, purse, fanny pack, trunk . . . might not be ideal. But, it might be the only option.

I would agree...the key is to stay in total control of the purse while the firearm is in it.