Gun Conversation at Work

• Moderators

Today I overhead my boss and his boss discussion firearms mainly because of the reporters being shot. I finally decided to interject and discuss things with them.

I ended up fully explaining 4473's, FFL's, HCP's locally and nationally, registration, private sales "loopholes", , TN carry laws, etc. It was a quite lengthy conversation but I could tell they were interested.

Generally speaking, I would say that they are both "not gun-people" and not "pro gun-people" but mainly just accept whatever rhetoric that the news passes on to them. Personally I feel that they both are likely at minimum pro restriction/background checks/waiting period type people, and would likely jump on board with any "scary guns are evil" rhetoric as well.

I hope I did more good than harm, but I feel everyone should be educated instead of misinformed. That being said, sometimes someone misinformed but inactive is better for us than someone who knows the truth and decides to become active because they disagree with current firearm laws. So it was a tossup but I thought they both deserved to be informed so they can make their choice rather than a forced choice given to them by the skewed news (such as the "unregistered firearm" term used by the media). 

I respect both of them greatly but do wish they were more onboard with some of the firearm stuff. 

I guess I am posting this here because I'd like positive suggestions on maybe anything I could briefly followup on in terms of maybe a printout or any ideas that would be a positive "fight". I hope to be able to thank them for allowing me to converse with them regarding the issues and to feel free to ask any questions they may ever have.

• Like 3

Basic education is the key.  We sometimes take our love and knowledge of firearms, the laws regarding them, and everything else for granted.  

My ex is pretty conservative on most issues.  She's solidly anti-illegal immigrant, and believes that "if she has to take a drug test to earn the money at her federal job that gets taxed for welfare, that welfare recipients should have to take a drug test to receive it."  But when it came to guns, she knew next to nothing, because she never grew up around guns.  She just assumed that my AR's were "registered" as a requirement for purchase and that led to a conversation where I had to explain to her the same things you did.

It comes down to the conversation with the public.  Scaring people is easier than setting their mind at ease, and the anti-gun side is very, very good at getting their argument to people, and we're not because we see it as an individual conversation, and something passed down within the family, not a mass communications campaign like they do. 

As far as what we can do, taking someone shooting to let them see how guns really are is a start, and so is what you did, just explaining and correcting misconceptions.  At some point, there needs to be a much better job at putting out information, which the NRA would seem to be the most logical choice for, but they appear to be more about preaching to the choir and the political side.  A massive outreach effort could do wonders, especially with social media helping spread the message.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

That's smart and what I may do. I may try and type up a short letter simply thanking them for their attention and then express to them that although they may have no interest at all, and that I respect that decision if that so be, but that I would be honored to be able to give them a safe introduction to firearms and correct some facts that I feel the media typically skews the truth on. I personally feel that I doubt either would take me up on it but I do feel it would be a good thing.

• Like 1

As far as what we can do, taking someone shooting to let them see how guns really are is a start, and so is what you did, just explaining and correcting misconceptions.  At some point, there needs to be a much better job at putting out information, which the NRA would seem to be the most logical choice for, but they appear to be more about preaching to the choir and the political side.  A massive outreach effort could do wonders, especially with social media helping spread the message.

One of those things costs money while the other generates it. I wonder why they do one but not the other?

• Moderators

yeah, talking about guns at work is generally a poor idea.

Just sayin....

I know, but I'm already known around here as "that guy" so it isn't exactly like anything new about me is being learned, but rather just educated about firearms as a whole.

I know, but I'm already known around here as "that guy" so it isn't exactly like anything new about me is being learned, but rather just educated about firearms as a whole.

I gotcha that is why I used the word generally.

Nice job CZ - i find that most people have no idea what the gun laws really are, and support so called common sense laws which are already on the books.

The 4473 is a great learning tool. I walked my anti-gun sister thru it and said i agree with you - felons should not have guns, certifiably crazy people, illegals, etc etc. then i showed her the 4473, explained all those restrictions are already the law and then ask her what else should would like to see that does not involve eliminating the right altogether.

Crickets followed
  • 9 months later...

We had a gun conversation at work. It went something like this: When I arrived the supervisors and the owners were standing around. They ask if I had a gun. I said yes, it’s in the car. They ask if I would please put it on.

A co-worker had carried a shot gun into the facility, walked out back, cranked off a couple of rounds and left. He then called and threatened to kill a couple of people. When the cops went to his house to arrest him there was an armed standoff before he was taken into custody.

Situations like that will educate people that have never been around real violence or violent people. Luckily no one was killed.

• Like 5