Reporter Shot on Live TV in Virginia

Reporters are trained to ignore off camera distractions - sort of a purposeful condition white.

Sad story, thoughts and prayers to the victims families.

I bet they stop doing that and pay a little more attention. That, or hire a camera assistant for situational awareness.
  • Like 1

I think it's considered socially offensive NOT to keep eye contact with the person to whom you are conversing. Very odd to scan during a short and pointed interview.

You are right. I've been called out many times for it. Not so much looking for potential problems, I just don't make eye contact with people. Not sure why, just always been that way.
  • Like 1

Well latest reports say the shooter has died. What's suprising is all the rapid influx of information on his anger control and instabillity issues all coming out at once. The guy had some serious mental health issues that seem to have fallen through the cracks.

Well latest reports say the shooter has died. What's suprising is all the rapid influx of information on his anger control and instabillity issues all coming out at once. The guy had some serious mental health issues that seem to have fallen through the cracks.

Was fired from the station two years ago, so the mayhem wasn't a snap decision type reaction.

- OS

• Like 1
I'm still stuck though, if the video in this thread is the shooter, who's filming the interview for the tv station? Cause the camera guy turns to the parking lot and ain't filiming the ladies. Were there another camera operating, the shooter would had to have passed in front of it OR the second camera guy would have been in the shot (not likely).

I'm still stuck though, if the video in this thread is the shooter, who's filming the interview for the tv station? Cause the camera guy turns to the parking lot and ain't filiming the ladies. Were there another camera operating, the shooter would had to have passed in front of it OR the second camera guy would have been in the shot (not likely).

He had his own camera.

I don't understand. There are two vids, one is the feed from the cameraman during the interview on the two women, and the other is the perp's, which shows all three.

- OS

I don't understand. There are two vids, one is the feed from the cameraman during the interview on the two women, and the other is the perp's, which shows all three.

- OS

Yeah, I couldn't figure why a camera man filming an interview was looking away from those being interviewed.
Never mind me.

Was fired from the station two years ago, so the mayhem wasn't a snap decision type reaction.

- OS

Yeah, had already read that but the fellow had sent the station a manifesto and made allegations. Often as not folks that off the tracks have been reported to law enforcement and been involved with some type of psych counseling or evaluation. My suspicions are there's a lot more information waiting to be leaked.

• Like 1

You are right. I've been called out many times for it. Not so much looking for potential problems, I just don't make eye contact with people. Not sure why, just always been that way.

Our former Senator/actor would actively "work the room" while people were talking to him, and the person on this forum to whom he did this was VERY offended.I didn't blame him.

Yeah, had already read that but the fellow had sent the station a manifesto and made allegations. Often as not folks that off the tracks have been reported to law enforcement and been involved with some type of psych counseling or evaluation. My suspicions are there's a lot more information waiting to be leaked.

Yep! But since this is this is black on white violence will it really get the coverage? My bad...it happened to media folks. Question answered.

I am really floored at how close he got openly pointing a weapon and no one noticed.  I understand the interview dynamics and ignoring distractions, but he was so close.  I feel bad that he succeeded in killing these people.  I read that he the blonde woman was the specific target because of "racist" remarks.  I dont have any confirmation of that, but I read it out there on the interweb

Apparently, the phone call admitting the killings, and the manifesto wasn't sent till after the killings, and went to ABC news HQ, not to the local station.

He had apparently called ABC a couple of weeks before to "pitch a story", but never said what it was. Also weird in that WDBJ is a CBS affiliate, not an ABC one.

Anyway, sounds like there wasn't any real warning ahead of time.

'Course, now we have all the attempts to ascribe "logical" motives to a crazy person.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

"Nothing stops a bad guy with a gun except a good guy with a gun"

Like others have said - any competent, trained CCW holder in the area would have stopped this.

Very sad.

Would they? 

From what I read, the guy walked up, and shot the reporter & camerman.  Your logic presupposes there are people carrying, and actively searching out threats to others and not themselves like some kind of security element.  I know when I'm out and about, my priorities for safety are me and anyone with me, and anyone else who happens to be there secondary.  I'm also focused on what I went out to do and have my attention divided by that at some level.  I can't say I would have seen this coming and acted before the shooter carried out his plan.  Maybe as a reaction, but it wouldn't have saved those gunned down today.

Just my thoughts on the subject...condolences to the family and friends of the victims. 

• Like 1

I have never accepted the premise that someone has to be crazy to commit a horrible crime - all he has to be is mean. Acting on that belief, I haven't seen any part of the shooter's conduct so far that can be deemed insanity any more than it can be considered the acts of a perfectly sane but hate-filled, devious, cold blooded, mean, vicious, murderous S.O.B. And none of that meets the legal definition of insanity to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by EssOne
  • Like 1

Would they? 

From what I read, the guy walked up, and shot the reporter & camerman.  Your logic presupposes there are people carrying, and actively searching out threats to others and not themselves like some kind of security element.  I know when I'm out and about, my priorities for safety are me and anyone with me, and anyone else who happens to be there secondary.  I'm also focused on what I went out to do and have my attention divided by that at some level.  I can't say I would have seen this coming and acted before the shooter carried out his plan.  Maybe as a reaction, but it wouldn't have saved those gunned down today.

Just my thoughts on the subject...condolences to the family and friends of the victims. 

It's hard to know what he was up to before he actually acted.  Ever seen someone and just "knew" they were not acting right?  There are incidents that are either stopped due to someone calling attention to people not acting right or acting on their instincts just prior to them committing their acts.

It's hard to know what he was up to before he actually acted.  Ever seen someone and just "knew" they were not acting right?  There are incidents that are either stopped due to someone calling attention to people not acting right or acting on their instincts just prior to them committing their acts.

I get what you're saying and yeah, I've looked at people and told myself I'm going to do what I can to know where they are in the store or wherever...but I just don't like the line of thought that having people carrying is the cure all to these events from going the way they do with the "if only there was someone carrying" mantra.  My gun is for my safety, I'm too worried about what I'm doing and securing myself to actively think about others.  Not trying to be cold blodded or uncaring, just realistic.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

Would they? 

Did you WATCH the video? There was a good 15 seconds from his raising his gun into camera view, and the first shot. ANY one carrying (that wasn't in the most unbelievable white zone I've ever witnessed) would have ended this before it started.

• Like 1

Did you WATCH the video? There was a good 15 seconds from his raising his gun into camera view, and the first shot. ANY one carrying (that wasn't in the most unbelievable white zone I've ever witnessed) would have ended this before it started.

I haven't seen the video since most news sites I've seen aren't showing it out of respect. 

We may see the gun now because it's what we're looking for, but there is no way to know if we would have noticed it then and there depending on what is going on, and others would identify the same.  People are in their own zone too often, looking at their cell phones, watching something else, checking out a hot chick...unless something grabs their attention I can see how he slipped by from notice like he did.

Also, I was speaking in generalities when talking about how having someone carrying around an indicent could prevent it.

Edited by btq96r