300 Blk weird issue

I was talking to Luke E. about this last night and thought I'd just post it up for discussion. I fixed my problem but this was odd.

I was reading on TTAG about a load this guy was using for plinking that seemed to be within safe numbers so gave it a try.

150gr FMJ

16.5 gr H110

OAL 2.260 - this is the weird part

Seemed like that was WAY to long not to mention being the maximum length but I have read about some loads that had very little of the bullet in the case so I proceeded. When I released the charging handle it would not go all the way into the battery and wedged the bullet into the barrel. I then attempted to mortar the round out but ended up pulling the bullet out and spraying gun powder all over my freshly greased gun. :rant: That was fun to clean.

I ended up taking them in to 2.160 which seems to be shooting just fine.

I did verify that these were either right at 2.260 or a little under. I'm chalking it up to a variance in head space. What do you think?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to Luke E. about this last night and thought I'd just post it up for discussion. I fixed my problem but this was odd.

I was reading on TTAG about a load this guy was using for plinking that seemed to be within safe numbers so gave it a try.

150gr FMJ

16.5 gr H110

OAL 2.260 - this is the weird part

Seemed like that was WAY to long not to mention being the maximum length but I have read about some loads that had very little of the bullet in the case so I proceeded. When I released the charging handle it would not go all the way into the battery and wedged the bullet into the barrel. I then attempted to mortar the round out but ended up pulling the bullet out and spraying gun powder all over my freshly greased gun. :rant: That was fun to clean.

I ended up taking them in to 2.160 which seems to be shooting just fine.

I did verify that these were either right at 2.260 or a little under. I'm chalking it up to a variance in head space. What do you think?

Not sure which pill you were using but for one like it I have:

Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, OAL: 2.065

PM me your email, I can send you some 300Blk info.

All bullets have slightly different bearing surface lengths. So you must seat the bullets with longer bearing surfaces a little deeper to clear the throat of the barrel.

BTW, been there and dove that dozens of times.

The odd thing is this guy is using the same bullet I am using. It must have been a typo though. I just watched the corresponding video he has posted on the page and the finished bullet he has is definitely not 2.260. Looks more like 2.060.

Edges are still round. No problems. I've seen federal m193 with flatter primers. As above, the 2.26 OAL is too long for the short fat 30's. In 300blk, the long, heavy bullets with high BC's get loaded long. The exceptions being light bullets designed for the caliber like the 125grn Sierra MK.

Just to keep you honest and safe! Here's the data from Hornady's newest manual.
150grn FMJ COL 2.20
H110 12.3grs start 1500fps
H110 15.9grs Max 1800fps