GSSF Competitions

I just recently joined the GSSF (mostly for the pistol savings) but I would like to start participating in some competitions as well.

I have never participated in a firearms competition and know I need to work on my pistol skills more.

I have read through the GSSF Report and see a shoot in Lexington KY and Mobile AL - both within driving distance for a weekend getaway.

I also see an Indoor League at Range USA over in Jackson and some online references to previous shoots at Nashville Armory. My in-laws live in Jackson so going over there for a weekend a couple months in a row is nothing.

Who here shoots in GSSF?
What do I need to know beyond what is in the Report and online? I know I need to register as a new member at my first shoot to enter the pistol drawing.
What other GSSF competitions are around the area?

Again I have never shot any competition but am considering trying to get participate in other local events to meet people, have fun and raise my skill level.
Music City Tactical Shooters hosts a GSSF match each year in May. The last couple of years there has been a match in Park City KY. If you show up at a match they will help you figure out what divisions you are eligible to compete in. If you have never competed I suggest you do so. All the shooting sports are fun.
It's really easy and a lot of fun. I've done two matches now. Don't worry about not knowing what to do. Once you arrive there will be plenty of people who will help. My only suggestion is to get there early and bring plenty of magazines.
  • Like 1
Yes sir competition shooting is awesome, GSSF is a good way to get your feet wet and then transition to IDPA or USPSA. That's where the real fun starts, and your skills building begins. There are shooting club all over the great state of Tennessee, and when your ready for some real action, you want be disappointed. Mid Tn Shooters Club in Manchester is a great spot to learn the ropes and we always welcome new safe shooters
Welcome to a new addiction. There is at least one type of local club competition going on every weekend. MCTS in Dickson shouldn't be too far from you and they have something every weekend as well as the Tuesday night events at the Nashville Armory. MTSC in Manchester and Brush Creek up around Alexandria are also great places to shoot. If you are ever up around Gallatin on a Wednesday evening I've heard Tenn Action Pistol puts on a good indoor match as well. They do all have one thing in common, super nice people that love new shooters and seem to always be willing to help out and give advice. Edited by toby1304
  • Like 1
GSSF seemed like the best place to start out since it is just about shooting, and then maybe transition to one of the other styles.

I knew there were a IDPA matches around as I have talked to a couple people who shoot in them. May be good for me to go hang out at one and observe and talk to people.
Don't come watch, you'll regret it. Bring your gun, mags, holster and pouches and shoot. Oak ridge Sportsmans Association is a great place to get your feet wet. There always a decent turn out of new shooters, plus we always seem to have right around 100 competitors. You will not find a nicer range in the state with more to offer. Theres an idpa match there this Saturday and also next Saturday. Several of us from the middle Tennessee area travel up there so I'm sure a carpool could be easily arranged. Hope to see you out there soon.
  • Like 1

May be good for me to go hang out at one and observe and talk to people.

I had the same thought, go watch an IDPA match and see what it's like. 

Don't come watch, you'll regret it. Bring your gun, mags, holster and pouches and shoot. 

^^This^^ is what the guys in Dickson talked me into doing instead and I had zero regrets.

Regardless of what kind of match you try first, you'll be glad you did.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks for all the info. I will definitely try to get out to something within the next couple of weeks.

I know Range USA has a GSSF shoot that I think was this past weekend and one weekend for the next 2 months (have to shoot 2 out of 3 to compete). I may even be able to get over and participate in that.