Sig P320 Owner's Input Sought

E4 No More

The other day I saw an extremely over-priced P320 at Outpost Armory, but the modularity of the pistol and it's .357 Sig caliber offering intrigued me. Guns & More has offered to order a P320 for me at a far more reasonable price point, but I thought I'd seek opinions from owners first. So "fire away" if you will. :)

Just my opinion, but as a former owner of a .357 Sig, I loved the caliber and the platform (mine was a sig 229) but the COST of ammo is quite high compared to .40, for a caliber with some performance advantages--but not enough to justify the extra cost for me.  I swapped my .357 sig for a .40 and have not really noticed a whole lot of change, only the change in my pocket.  I went to the gun show to get another barrel but the guy offered me a swap for less than the price of buying a new barell.  I had gotten the first sig from CDNN for about $400 used, and swapped it for a brand new weapon, same base model but the Elite version in .40 for $100.  New .40 barrel was $150 so I felt like I got a deal.  Now it is my bedside gun and the one I train and qualify with most, and I love it.

Love mine. I've got the 320C 9mm in full FDE. To be honest, the finish was one of the reasons I got it. But I'm glad I did.

Really nice trigger on these. Its got a nice crisp break with no creep and hardly any over-travel. Shoots great. The more I shoot it the more I like the grip and grip texture. It carries really well too.

Like you said, the modularity is a nice feature. Not a bad deal being able to change the frame to a different size for $40. I'll probably get a full size x-change kit in a different caliber for mine. And I wouldn't mind trying a sub compact frame with my compact slide. Edited by jimmydeuce

The 320s are a major hit.  I haven't scored one, but it is on my short list.  I read a lot about them on the Sig Forums, where the die hard Sig guys are at.  Rarely you hear of an issue, but you do see plenty of praise.   I do always wait until 1 year after any new gun goes on the market before I partake.  I have worked in manufacturing for close to 30 years, regardless of what you make, that first year of manufacturing of any new product line, is the toughest. 

I am been thinking of either the 357Sig in the compact or the new released 45 version myself. 

• Like 1
My department tested the 320 several months ago during new duty weapon testing. Through normal range shooting we caused some type of failure leading to the 320 being dropped from testing and being sent back to SIG. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My department tested the 320 several months ago during new duty weapon testing. Through normal range shooting we caused some type of failure leading to the 320 being dropped from testing and being sent back to SIG. YMMV.

Do you know what the failure was? Was it do to unusually high round count/torture test?

I'll find out the exact failure for you. We didn't torture test it, but I bet we put 1,000 rounds through it over the course of a month.

I'd be interested too. 1,000 rounds in a month is high for the average shooter, but not high enough to start seeing failures. Hell, 1,000 rounds in a day shouldn't be a big deal for a good handgun. I'm sure about half of us has done close to that at least once.

• Like 1
Nothing but excellent words heard from Knowledgeable LGS and from Sig Rep. I’ve been waiting on the .45 to hit the streets. Sig Rep has one but he says there not available to all distributors yet. That’s fine, I can wait. I’ve toyed with getting a .40 instead. One LGS has Full size in 9mm and .40 cal for $495 + tax + Background. If you’re LE, First responder, etc you can get a professional discount.

I took a slightly different approach with the .357 and .40. I have several Sigs when purchased they were born as a .40 cal. 4 of them I have purchased .357 barrel for in the neighborhood $150-$189 no sales tax, no shipping arriving at my door. So far all 4 have dropped in without a hitch. Now I have 8 weapons instead of 4. As most of you know Sig magazines will accept both .357 Sig and .40 Cal ammo and can be found online at reasonable prices. Most of the time if I’m not carrying a Sig compact 1911 in .45 I have one of the Sigs in the .357 Sig configurations tucked neatly in my knickers.

Ammo prices: Well known .357 sig is more expensive as there are fewer brands manufactured for target and plinking. .40 Cal on the other hand has many more options therefore lower price. So with that, I will mostly practice with the .40 cal barrel and carry with .357 Sig. Nothing against the .40 I just like the .357 sig. I don’t find a great deal of difference in trajectory between the two as have sent considerable amount of .357 sig down the tube and have no concerns should I be required to upholster the rascal.
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll find out the exact failure for you. We didn't torture test it, but I bet we put 1,000 rounds through it over the course of a month.

Were you able to find out the problem?  I'm interested in the P320, and I'd like to know.

Thanks

I bought a P320 compact .40 S&W from Guns & More in Smyrna because they had received them at a sale price and passed it on to me, ($449 + tax & TICS). I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet since I was camping last weekend, but I plan to soon. I know that, due to my large hands, I'll need the "carry" frame for it in large: however, those are not available at this time. My little finger hangs halfway off the bottom of the grip. I called Sig after registering the warranty with them and receiving a 20% off my first order coupon from them. You'd think that they'd have the large frames by now, but no. :( They will eventually offer the .357 barrel for it since that's all that's needed to convert from 40 S&W, but for now it's only available in the caliber conversion kit which is $399. So I guess I wait to get exactly what I want until they get situated. :shrug:

My apologies for not getting back with you guys sooner. I spoke with the Officer who handled the bids and he said we had fired approx. 5,000 rounds (.40) through the 320 before "the trigger seized". Apparently the weapon would fire one round and not re-cock, causing it to be unfireable. I would like to add that the 5,000 rounds were not shot concurrently, but in 500 round (approx) sessions. 

• Like 1

My apologies for not getting back with you guys sooner. I spoke with the Officer who handled the bids and he said we had fired approx. 5,000 rounds (.40) through the 320 before "the trigger seized". Apparently the weapon would fire one round and not re-cock, causing it to be unfireable. I would like to add that the 5,000 rounds were not shot concurrently, but in 500 round (approx) sessions. 

Thanks for that.

Thanks for the info.  I was seriously considering one, but a good deal came up on some police trade ins (M&P40 and M&P40c).  I might still buy one eventually.  Time will tell...