Firearms Appraisal and USAA

WarPig

I am putting my firearms on my insurance with USAA. For the most part I have the info I need, but they said I need to get a few of the older family heirlooms appraised since they are no longer manufactured, I didn't pay for them, etc. They mentioned these 3 companies.
American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
American Gem Society (AGS)
International Society of Appraisers (ISA)

I have never had any firearm appraised before. Anyone have any experience with this around here?

SECOND QUESTION: Do any of these insurance companies cover safe damage?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by WarPig
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I use USAA for my autos and CC, I use Farm Bureau for my home and boat, I've tryied several times to pin each agaisnt each other and neither could beat Collectibles pricing for what I needed to declare. 

http://collectinsure.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Collectibles%20Keywords%20-%20Insurance&utm_term=insurance%20for%20collectibles

They only request S# for guns over $5k, I list the amount $$ I want insured and they do the rest.

Did you do any research to see if people had any claim issues or anything? The only reason I figured I would go through USAA is I do everything else through them so far.

I use USAA for my autos and CC, I use Farm Bureau for my home and boat, I've tryied several times to pin each agaisnt each other and neither could beat Collectibles pricing for what I needed to declare. 

http://collectinsure.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Collectibles%20Keywords%20-%20Insurance&utm_term=insurance%20for%20collectibles

They only request S# for guns over $5k, I list the amount $$ I want insured and they do the rest.

Did you do any research to see if people had any claim issues or anything? The only reason I figured I would go through USAA is I do everything else through them so far.

I'm pretty sure no one will compete with USAA on customer service, as far as collectibles I got a lot of good feedback on ar15.com for people who have high dollar NFA collections, both USAA and FB didn't want to insure my guns

I'm pretty sure no one will compete with USAA on customer service, as far as collectibles I got a lot of good feedback on ar15.com for people who have high dollar NFA collections, both USAA and FB didn't want to insure my guns

That's what I was a little concerned about. I have about 10 NFA items and the collection is growing. I just started the process to get a quote from them yesterday but I wondered if they would cover suppressors, built SBR's, optics, all that other junk.

The company you suggested wasn't bad, they wanted about $200 annual. I'll keep digging around and see what USAA says and do some more research on the Collectibles company. I have never really dealt with insurance claims (I'm over 30 and this week was the first time I ever even had to deal with a fender bender claim. That's what got me thinking I bet my firearms aren't covered by standard insurance). Thanks for the advice.