Completed HCP Class!!!

Took the class at Guns and Leather yesterday. Very professionally done. I would highly recommend them. Large class of 46. Got a feeling the state is going to be swamped with HCP applications. Also got the opportunity to meet and spend some time with Angus. John is pretty proficient with the pistol! He had some nice head shots!:confused:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RISC777
First of all Tennessee does not have a CC law. Only a C law as in carry law. The law makes no requirements for concealment. Secondly, there is no prohibition on carrying a firearm on commercial vehicles such as you describe. Carry and protect yourself.

BTW, I would carry concealed though. No sense in being the first victim at the heist at the Pilot Fuel Stop.

Slight thread hi-jack --

The above is a quote from an older thread.

Instructor stated that even if an employer states it is not against company policy to carry in a company vehicle, it is still against a law / the law. True or false?

Slight thread hi-jack --

The above is a quote from an older thread.

Instructor stated that even if an employer states it is not against company policy to carry in a company vehicle, it is still against a law / the law. True or false?

as far as I know there is no law against a firearm carried legally in a commercial vehicle or company car.

as far as I know there is no law against a firearm carried legally in a commercial vehicle or company car.

Correct.

It is generally only company policy that disallows firearm possession in commercial vehicles. There are no federal laws against it. Nothing in US DOT regs, for example. As far as the feds are concerned, if you are legal to possess in whatever condition in the state you are presently in, okay by them.

It is possible that some states have special state DOT reg banning possession in commercial vehicles, I wouldn't know. But TDOT does not.

However, probably EVERY trucking company forbids it for employee drivers and contracted owner operator drivers. Almost totally because of real or perceived liability issues. I suspect that most companies that utilize employee-driven vehicles of any kind, whether car or van, have similar policy, but again, this is up to the company, not fed or state DOT.

Even the small % of true independents who contract load by load through a broker and run under their own ICC authority, I'd suspect that the individual contracts contain a no-firearms clause but I don't know that for sure. Many of the large distributing centers that independents haul into, though, also have a strict no firearms policy, even to the point of cab searches, especially in the case of US government contracted places.

But it is a very widespread notion, even in some of the trucking instruction schools, that there is some federal law that bans driver firearm possession in commercial vehicles, but just it so. There are quite a few regs concerning firearms/ammo as a transported commodity, but not for individual possession.

I've been a trucker in a couple of different employment incarnations in my bizarre career, so have looked into this more than a little. Maybe I'll tell of my long day at the Manchester weigh station many years ago one of these days.

- OS (sorry to continue hijack, maybe should be new topic, mods)

Edited by OhShoot
syntax, addl info