Which AK47 with Milled Receiver in 7.62x39??

lshel

I have no knowledge pertaining to AK47's, but I would like to try one, preferable used and less than $700.

I have several AR-15's and one AR10 and wanted to check out an AK47 in 7.62x39. What is best buy for the money and from what country and importer? I would appreciate any advise. thanks.

Milled is heavier and more likely to crack. Milled receivers were more desirable due to their collector value, since not as many were made. That being said, there is no practical reason to spend more on a milled receiver, unless it is for collecting. Add to that it is harder to find parts and furniture for milled receivers than a standard AK.
The Pioneer Arms Aim is selling is about the best deal out there, bang for your buck. Edited by Smith
Build a time machine. Travel back to 1991. Buy a truckload of Norinco Mak-90s for 200 apiece. Come back and retire.

And take me with you please.

No really. Don't worry about milled vs stamped. You can't afford to wear out either of them. (Wait, you're not Donald Trump, are you?).

All the above advice is sound. Have a friend who had a couple WASR-10s. Ran like a scalded dog. They could have used a little tuning by Dolomite, however. Way over gassed.
  • Like 2

Russian Weapons Co US132Z Saiga...

US132Z%20(slant%20muzzle).jpg

FEATURES
7.62 x 39 caliber
922(r) compliant
Nitrocarburized case hardened barrel and chamber for extended life and corrosion resistance
Safety selector lever notch to hold operating handle and bolt open position
All cast parts now CNC machined for tighter tolerances
Safety selector lever notch to hold operating handle and bot open position
Includes one polymer standard capacity (30 rounds) magazine
Polymer hand guard with rails [RS47SET]
Polymer ergonomic vertical grip [EVG]
Buttstock with adjustable cheekpiece [CBSACP]
Pistol grip with interchangeable finger grooves and back straps [UPG47]
Extended mag release (AKMR)
Tapco slant AK47 muzzle brake

http://www.kalashnikov-usa.com/firearms/autoloading-rifle-us132z

I just picked up a leftover Russian made of the same type and not fired it, but looking it over and toying with it, it is a nice feeling gun with good trigger. I got my IZ132Z for $712 + $5.99 shipping.

Edited by JohnC

All the above advice is sound. Have a friend who had a couple WASR-10s. Ran like a scalded dog. They could have used a little tuning by Dolomite, however. Way over gassed.

Comrade Kalashnikov designed it that way. Otherwise, one might eventually have to clean it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5

Go with a WASR 10, had mine for 2 years and loved it. The AK platform is world renowned for a reason.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've had a Wasr 10 for about 3 years now. No problems at all with it. Wipe it down, swab the barrel occasionally, and clean the bolt and breech with a silicon cloth. That 's all I've don and I've got 1000+ rounds thru it.

In all honesty, I did have a few FTE with some real dirty, almost corroded steel-case Wolf out of one mag, but that's been all.

I see some I.O. M247-CAK-47 7.62x39 or sale $539-$600, are these any good??

Avoid IOR like IO like the plague. They have ALWAYS, and still do, have quality control issues. I handled one at SMKW and it had some rivets that looked like they should rattle. Some were nice and round and others were 1/2 flat. They are the bottom of the barrel as far as AKs go.

You can get a WASR for about the same price and get a great gun.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my Romanian Wasr10 CAI 2011 out to shoot for the second time after adding collapsible stock and UTG side-rail mount(thanks OH Shoot) with a Mueller Red dot sight. Last week I sighted in red dot for 50 yds. This week I was shooting 12" gong at 100yds and 8" steel plate at 50yds keeping red dot centered on both and hit both consistently. I could make center shots on 25yd target by aiming 3" high. Until I tried an AK47, I thought they were not accurate and a piece of junk riveted  sheet metal. I guess first hand I found out why so many nations have and still use this weapon.

Edited by lshel

I have carried a gun nearly every day of my adult life. I did it for work as well as for pleasure. I have probably shot in excess of a million rounds of ammunition in my lifetime from various weapon systems and battle rifles. I have trained heavily with ARs and I feel I am extremely proficient with its use.

With that being said I walked away from the AR platform because I consider the AK the top fighting rifle in the world and would pick one over ANYTHING out there if I am needing it to save a life.

Being an AR guy for the vast majority of my life it took a lot to sell off all my ARs except one. If SHTF and I had to choose an AK, in any caliber, over and AR, in any caliber, I would pick an AK. And the only time you will see me with an AR is when all four of my AKs fail me which will never happen.

The most common complaint I hear about AKs is they are inaccurate compared to ARs. Well that is because most people shoot better quality ammunition in the ARs and then compare it to an AK shooting what is, arguably, the worst ammunition for an AK. Accuracy wise both platforms are capable of similar accuracy when the ammunition is similar and the AK will do it in more places and under harsher conditions. Haven't heard anyone bragging about their AR's accuracy when shooting Wolf yet AR owners have no problem saying an AK is inaccurate when the AK shoots Wolf or Tula. Using quality ammunition an AK and AR of similar cost will perform similarly, there is a reason why they are #1 and #2 in world as far as use. The AK is not some range toy but a more than capable fighting rifle.

Right now my go to gun is a Romanian gun which is arguably the cheapest AK on the planet right now. And people are now starting to realize the accuracy potential of current production WASRs, even shooting better groups than most ARs with similar ammunition.

I will never carry another AR if I have an AK available.

I see some I.O. M247-CAK-47 7.62x39 or sale $539-$600, are these any good??

Avoid IOR like IO like the plague. They have ALWAYS, and still do, have quality control issues. I handled one at SMKW and it had some rivets that looked like they should rattle. Some were nice and round and others were 1/2 flat. They are the bottom of the barrel as far as AKs go.

You can get a WASR for about the same price and get a great gun.

The only thing from IO I would buy and have bought is the made in Poland AK's. Those guns are imported and IO doesn't put their hands on them. The way to tell the difference is in the warranty offered and the model designation. The "M" series and "AKM247" series is IO made and they have a lifetime warranty - AVOID. The Polish made have a one year warranty and do not have "MADE IN USA" on the left side of the reciever.

Build a time machine. Travel back to 1991. Buy a truckload of Norinco Mak-90s for 200 apiece. Come back and retire.

And take me with you please.

No really. Don't worry about milled vs stamped. You can't afford to wear out either of them. (Wait, you're not Donald Trump, are you?).

When you come back replace that stupid thumb hole stock. Either go full 922r or buy a A.T. Draganov stock for about $60.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1