HCP for new resident

Hi all

Moving from MA to TN next month. I see TN honors my MA license but a safety course is required for my TN license when I apply. Is this course needed for ALL new applicants regardless of previous out If state licensure, including safety classes I have already taken in the past?

Thanks for the help. Edited by MrJones79

Only people with permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma or Texas are waived from taking the safety course. All others must take the class or meet one of the following criteria.

(1 ) Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2 ) Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3 ) Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(b ); or

(4 ) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4 ) hours as required by any branch of the military.

FYI, you have 6 months from the time you move to get your TN HCP. Until then, your MA permit will be honored.

Edited by monkeylizard

Hi all

Moving from MA to TN next month. I see TN honors my MA license but a safety course is required for my TN license when I apply. Is this course needed for ALL new applicants regardless of previous out If state licensure, including safety classes I have already taken in the past?

Yep, unless you fit one of the categories Monkey just posted.

Used to be various options/pricing for permit holders moving here, depending on which state. No longer. No state's permit matters currently  -- everyone has to do the whole drill -- course, fingerprint, full fee.

However, your permit is honored here for 6 months after establishing residency, by then you need to have a TN one.

- OS

Cross-edit.

Oh Shoot, I see that TCA 39-17-1359 makes no provision for other states skipping the class, but the TDOS site still shows New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas as exempt. Do you know if those 3 are still exempt or not?

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgqualifications

The 3 states are listed in the paragraph with the For Persons Holding a Handgun Carry Permit from Other States and Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Cross-edit.

Oh Shoot, I see that TCA 39-17-1359 makes no provision for other states skipping the class, but the TDOS site still shows New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas as exempt. Do you know if those 3 are still exempt or not?

The 3 states are listed in the paragraph with the For Persons Holding a Handgun Carry Permit from Other States and Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

Forgot about that change, thanks, getting on up there I guess. After revising everything maybe a year and a half ago to where everybody had to do the whole schmear, this did pop up relatively recently.

Though since the course is half about Tennessee carry/self defense law, it's beyond me how they any another state's training substitute for it. For that matter, don't even know why legislature allowed even the military one, since the legal part ain't there either.

- OS

Welcome Mister Jones. Here "Hi All" gets turned into "Hey Y'all."  and you're probably gonna get accused of having a "New Jersey" accent, like a good friend of mine who moved here from Boston did.   :rofl:  What part of Tennessee are you moving to, if I may ask? 

• Like 1

Don't sweat it. The Tennessee HCP class has only two requirements for successful completion:

1. A pulse.

2. The ability to hit a barn from the inside with all the doors closed.

You'll do fine. I'm a transplanted Californio and they haven't run me out of the state (yet), so get ready to enjoy yourself immensely.

Edited by EssOne

Welcome Mister Jones. Here "Hi All" gets turned into "Hey Y'all."  and you're probably gonna get accused of having a "New Jersey" accent, like a good friend of mine who moved here from Boston did.   :rofl:  What part of Tennessee are you moving to, if I may ask? 

That's right, no "how are youse guys doing". Either Ya'll or youin's of which I much prefer Ya'll!!.

• Like 1

Forgot about that change, thanks, getting on up there I guess. After revising everything maybe a year and a half ago to where everybody had to do the whole schmear, this did pop up relatively recently.

Though since the course is half about Tennessee carry/self defense law, it's beyond me how they any another state's training substitute for it. For that matter, don't even know why legislature allowed even the military one, since the legal part ain't there either.

- OS

I thought the military/ police/ security guard exemption only allowed one to skip the shooting part of the course.

I thought the military/ police/ security guard exemption only allowed one to skip the shooting part of the course.

Sounds like whole course to me.

From 1351:

"....The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours...."

An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection ... , if ...."

edit: yep, echoed on TNDOS page at:

"Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements....."

Must've been only the shooting part exempted before that I guess.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'm still unclear on Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Are they or are they not exempt? TCA says nothing about it, but TDOS has it on their site. Not that it matters to me or the OP, I just want to know.

They've tweaked plenty of stuff in the past that isn't exactly called for in the statute. Remember the state by state list of exactly what was required for permit holders of each? Used to be only the renewal price for all states with formal reciprocity too. Now they don't even list reciprocal states/recognizing states separately.

Authority to do all that in there (haven't read it for a while)? Sort of like ATF on rulemaking eh? Where is even the authority to set standards for the course itself?

There are currently two versions of the TNDOS HCP site and they do conflict on this point (actually two versions of entire State of Tennessee site). You'd think the newer one would be accurate, but this is de gummit after all, so on second thought, who knows?

Usual one, and the one still mainly referenced by a Google search:

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.shtml

Newer one, after the groovy new pricey state logo change:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/article/handgunmain

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot