Good Gunsmith to Thread Barrel for Flash Suppressor?

So where is a good gunsmith around Nashville that can thread a Russian AK barrel for a flash suppressor?

Anyone know how much it usually costs?

I need it done to this:

7e8639007bc4c472aa7cd65524488856.jpg

9b309939c1bcfeaff5ce4312ea123f43.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JohnC

It looks like it does have the threaded barrel.

Can you confirm by this picture?

ad348d6e53e6e85cfb4f6ea9f62ba523.jpg

Here are the markings. I believe it is the Russian import, not USA made.

1925bf319b2c7a1f25226f129c8e9072.jpg

5f338068385fda8bdf723c91d6cb8251.jpg

And it came with a Tapco trigger. A nice bonus I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapco triggers are decent out of box triggers but the biggest draw is that it counts as three 922r compliance parts.

If compliance is not a factor then a factory, milspec trigger can be made as nice as any trigger for an AK.

I just tried to look 922r up and make sense of it. So I can only have 10 USA made parts on the Russian import AK47 by Saiga?  :shrug: 

This right --> http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

Only certain parts are counted too. For example you cannot add a US made sight and have it count towards compliance. This only matters for rifles, even SBRs, originally made overseas. And the parts cannot be made overseas even if the company selling them is a US company. The only guns 922r does not apply to is pistols.

Here is a good place to understand, and verify, your gun's compliance part count.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

As far as 922r goes yes it is a law but no one has ever got in trouble for breaking it. It is one of those things that they could use it if they wanted to but so far they have not. I know some do not worry about while others, like me, try to follow the law the best I can.

Yours should already be 922r compliant but be careful if you start swapping parts out. Just make sure what ever part you swap is US made and you won't have any issues.

This is good example of more unnecessary regulations by our government. You can buy scrap parts kits to build your own gun but now those kits cannot include the original barrel. So you have to find, and install, a US made barrel to build your gun now which makes it infinitely more difficult for the home builder.

• Like 1

Only certain parts are counted too. For example you cannot add a US made sight and have it count towards compliance. This only matters for rifles, even SBRs, originally made overseas. And the parts cannot be made overseas even if the company selling them is a US company. The only guns 922r does not apply to is pistols.

Here is a good place to understand, and verify, your gun's compliance part count.
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

As far as 922r goes yes it is a law but no one has ever got in trouble for breaking it. It is one of those things that they could use it if they wanted to but so far they have not. I know some do not worry about while others, like me, try to follow the law the best I can.

Yours should already be 922r compliant but be careful if you start swapping parts out. Just make sure what ever part you swap is US made and you won't have any issues.

This is good example of more unnecessary regulations by our government. You can buy scrap parts kits to build your own gun but now those kits cannot include the original barrel. So you have to find, and install, a US made barrel to build your gun now which makes it infinitely more difficult for the home builder.

We definitely need to work on repealing that and anything else blocking 2A rights via imported firearms and accessories.
  • Like 1

I just tried to look 922r up and make sense of it. So I can only have 10 USA made parts on the Russian import AK47 by Saiga?  :shrug: 

You have that backwards.    Once you start modiying an import like a Saiga, it can have no more than 10 foreign made parts (out of the 20 parts that count).    

Dolomite linked the best site to figure out your count in post #9 to help you out.   

I also agree with his statement that you are likely already compliant and should remain that way as long as you continue to add US parts.    It appears you purchased a US converted Saiga so if the "manufacturer" knew what they were doing, they would have added US parts.   Assuming they are all US added parts, you are well inside compliance.   

As he mentioned, the Tapco gains you (3) parts.    A US made magazine gains you (3) parts as well.   The fact they sold you a molded magazine leads me to believe the receiver hasn't been modified to accept AK magazines.  

Edited by Trekbike

Not to hash it again, but no one has EVER even been charged with 922r compliance (after importation) as it is unenforceable and a misapplication of import restrictions to the original importer - not a continuation after importation. In other words don't sweat it. It's actually kinda hard not to have enough US parts to satisfy those that think 922r necessary 

BTW - John, I have the threading parts if you want to borrow them or if you are in the Nashville area I can help you with the project. 

• Like 1

You have that backwards. Once you start modiying an import like a Saiga, it can have no more than 10 foreign made parts (out of the 20 parts that count).

Dolomite linked the best site to figure out your count in post #9 to help you out.

I also agree with his statement that you are likely already compliant and should remain that way as long as you continue to add US parts. It appears you purchased a US converted Saiga so if the "manufacturer" knew what they were doing, they would have added US parts. Assuming they are all US added parts, you are well inside compliance.

As he mentioned, the Tapco gains you (3) parts. A US made magazine gains you (3) parts as well. The fact they sold you a molded magazine leads me to believe the receiver hasn't been modified to accept AK magazines.

It was listed as 922r compliant.

Now that you mention it, I tried my Yugo mag from the PAP pistol and it works and magpul mags work, too.

24609a41dcb1f624a8b1e4241179110b.jpg

9855f80be55cbc33138b6dc6e93553e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by JohnC

Not to hash it again, but no one has EVER even been charged with 922r compliance (after importation) as it is unenforceable and a misapplication of import restrictions to the original importer - not a continuation after importation. In other words don't sweat it. It's actually kinda hard not to have enough US parts to satisfy those that think 922r necessary 

BTW - John, I have the threading parts if you want to borrow them or if you are in the Nashville area I can help you with the project.

Thanks. I probably will need help with the removal of this thread cap. I'll shoot you a PM next week. I close to Nashville, so it'll be easy to meet up. :up: