Shoulder Realignment Robtattoo Style

KahrMan

So I have bought a few rifles from Rob over the last couple of months.  One of them being a Ruger No1 in 458 Win Mag.

Most of you think Rob is a nice guy but he basically said I was a big nancy if I did not shoot his 500 gr full house loads.

Challenge

Wait for it

Accepted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVXyH97Vrc

Alright, I might have exaggerated the muzzle rise a little.  It was actually not to bad.  A good punch to the shoulder.  I would not want to run 20 rounds thru it in one sitting though.  

I am going to take this hunting this year.  I really want to see what it will do to a 90lb doe.  

• Like 1

Man back many years ago I shot a doe that weighed about 100 pounds with a 375 H&H and nothing from heart forward was usable except for burger. Front shoulder shot made a miss of the doe. Decided it was just to much gun for White tails and sold it to a friend of mine that was moving to Wyoming. I can just imagine what that 458 would do the a doe.............. :up: :up:

So when you post that up for sale in a couple of years, I'm guessing it's going to be listed with the number of rounds Rob gave you minus one? :)

Actually minus 3 and counting.  I shot it twice and my buddy shot it once.  My buddy was going to shoot it again but he has a bad shoulder from playing football at Vanderbilt and decided once was enough.

This fall/winter, once you've had enough of your self induced asswhippin' gimme a holler.  I'll be back in front of my lead pot when it cools off.  I have a 405g hollow base or a 455g flat point.  I might even size and lube 'em for ya.  Stuff them over 20.0-22.0g or so of Unique and you'll get around 1,500-1,600 fps.  No deer in TN will survive the hit.  You on the other hand, can shoot that load all day long.  

Edited by Caster
Call me crazy, but the .458 Winchester actually makes more sense that all the other belted magnums for most of us. 99% of us will never actually need the added power they provide nor be able to actually utilize it.
The .458 though is like a very large displacement big block with low compression, mild cam and a three stage nitrous system. No matter how you go about it, it's gonna eat a good bit of fuel....but, it only gets rowdy when you stomp on it and still performs extremely well on the bottom end WITHOUT stomping it.

There are .460(ish) diameter molds in weights from 250g to over 600! You can dial the thing back to something as gentle as a trapdoor 45/70 with a case full of Trailboss and kill anything around TN including bears. OR, you throttle up and take anything Africa has to offer.
One could use round ball for even smaller critters, they're around 150g.
You can even make shotshells for it with some shot cards and small shot. I've done this with .450 Marlin. The rifling makes patterns suck after 10 or 15 yards but that's a squirrel getter for sure.
  • Like 1

Call me crazy, but the .458 Winchester actually makes more sense that all the other belted magnums for most of us. 99% of us will never actually need the added power they provide nor be able to actually utilize it.
The .458 though is like a very large displacement big block with low compression, mild cam and a three stage nitrous system. No matter how you go about it, it's gonna eat a good bit of fuel....but, it only gets rowdy when you stomp on it and still performs extremely well on the bottom end WITHOUT stomping it.

There are .460(ish) diameter molds in weights from 250g to over 600! You can dial the thing back to something as gentle as a trapdoor 45/70 with a case full of Trailboss and kill anything around TN including bears. OR, you throttle up and take anything Africa has to offer.
One could use round ball for even smaller critters, they're around 150g.
You can even make shotshells for it with some shot cards and small shot. I've done this with .450 Marlin. The rifling makes patterns suck after 10 or 15 yards but that's a squirrel getter for sure.

I don't reload but Rob was explaining that to me.  He said it is really a very versatile round.