Putting up wooden fence in rocky soil?

Anyone around mid TN put up a fence in rocky soil? I am having to redo the front section of a barb wire fence to accommodate the new horse and am going to a wooden fence. It's not a long stretch and would be about 10 posts from what I remember. I'm wondering what the best way to deal with the rock is? Jackhammer? Some type of drill? Auger with a hard bit? I'll be renting whatever it is I need.

I'm also going to have someone come out and quote it but I have heard fencing is high even for a simple fence. I could always get them to put just the posts in as well......

I have a fencing company coming out Thursday to give me a quote. They said they do posts only as well which is what I really want. I can do a fence all day long just not in the rock. I'll post up what it costs for anyone wondering. He said they have a $250 max rock charge at $25 per hole. I don't believe every hole will be rock either. My guess is that an auger will actually push right on through most of the rocks I encountered with the post hole digger.

I have a fencing company coming out Thursday to give me a quote. They said they do posts only as well which is what I really want. I can do a fence all day long just not in the rock. I'll post up what it costs for anyone wondering. He said they have a $250 max rock charge at $25 per hole. I don't believe every hole will be rock either. My guess is that an auger will actually push right on through most of the rocks I encountered with the post hole digger.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I put up a fence on my land by hand.  I used a posthole digger to remove soil and a post hole bar from Harbor Freight to break the rocks up with.  I only had to do 10 holes so it was not that hard, if you have an 8" or 10"auger and the bar I think you can knock these out real fast.

Well if its a DIY project I'd rent a tractor or bobcat with a posthole digger attachment. Take along a chisel tipped tamping bar to break up troublesome sections and keep on moving.  What you really need to find are a couple of teenaged farm boys or football players looking for some pocket money. If you run the tractor/auger and they run the tamping bar and shovel the job will be done in no time.

• Like 1

I put up a fence on my land by hand.  I used a posthole digger to remove soil and a post hole bar from Harbor Freight to break the rocks up with.  I only had to do 10 holes so it was not that hard, if you have an 8" or 10"auger and the bar I think you can knock these out real fast.

Well if its a DIY project I'd rent a tractor or bobcat with a posthole digger attachment. Take along a chisel tipped tamping bar to break up troublesome sections and keep on moving.  What you really need to find are a couple of teenaged farm boys or football players looking for some pocket money. If you run the tractor/auger and they run the tamping bar and shovel the job will be done in no time.

It seems you guys aren't familiar with Wilson County. When he says "rocky soil", what he's actually referring to is solid limestone.

It seems you guys aren't familiar with Wilson County. When he says "rocky soil", what he's actually referring to is solid limestone.

Haha well maybe not completely solid. My property has a "dropping off" point on the solid rock. About 10 feet father back from where I am doing the fence it get's really dicey. My front yard has almost no rock. Pretty weird really. I expect it to be hit or miss.

I rented a compressor and jack hammer from Nutter when putting in a pole barn. I think the rental was about 75 bucks.

Yeah I've used them before. That's an option as well. I am just thinking as little as I need done it may not make sense if their price is anywhere close to what materials and rental will cost me. My time is expensive you know. :cool:

I've dug many a postholes using this method.  Also, using a posthole digger on a tractor.  If it stops making progress, try rocking the tractor front to back a little and if you have someone to rock it side to side, it will help it take bites sometimes.