AOW/SBS question

I was on AR15.com earlier trying to find an answer to this...I am hoping one of y'all has either attempted this or has enough working knowledge of the NFA to answer it.

I have a Remington Witness Protection I am transferring from a friend. AOW built from a local shop in Nashville. I was wondering if it's possible to simultaneously have that weapon registered as an AOW and an SBS if I pay the $5 and $200 tax and form 1 it. That way I can go back and forth between configurations. The more I read the murkier the water got. Aaaand go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No you can not have it registered as both. However you don't need to.

AOW means it was manufactured from a receiver that never had a stock and can never have one.

SBS means it was manufactured from a firearm that may or may not have a shoulder stock on it. SBS allows you the flexibility of either configuration

If it has already been manufactured, you can't change how it is registered on the NFA list. It is what it is. If it's an AOW, it can never have a stock. If it's a SBS, you can't change it to an AOW for the cheap $5 transfer fee. Edited by nightrunner

That's a good question.

If one starts with a shotgun, makes it into SBS, it can have a stock or not have a stock,  it's still an SBS.

But starting with an AOW adding a stock would indeed make it a SBS.

So the real question is whether you can make an AOW into an SBS, and I doubt you can.

- OS

No you can not have it registered as both. However you don't need to.

As you said, seems you can't use a stock on a smooth bore AOW, and I think that's what he wants to be able to do?

edit: nm, I see you mean to just make it SBS.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

This same question was asked on a Facebook NFA group. The group said SBS takes precedence over AOW. So to have s SBS you will have to register the AOW as an SBS. They never mentioned whether the SBS was in addition to or replaced the AOW.

It is probably no different than a two stamp gun like an integrally suppressed SBR.

Technically, the prob with that might be that an SBS is made from a shotgun, and the AOW was never a shotgun?

On the third hand, I suppose you could make a normal GCA shotgun from the AOW, just as you can do with SBR to remove it from NFA purview, and then you would be making the SBS from a shotgun, and ATF just doesn't make you "prove" that "step".

- OS

All valid points. I think this warrants an email to the ATF.

How does it work on the money if the stamp is denied -- do you get it back?

Meaning, if so, I guess you could just do the form to make SBS with config you want to do and send it in, either approved or it isn't?

- OS

How does it work on the money if the stamp is denied -- do you get it back?

Meaning, if so, I guess you could just do the form to make SBS with config you want to do and send it in, either approved or it isn't?

- OS

Yeah, I made a typo on a form 1 a few months back and I was told it would take 6 months for my refund. So I don't really want to fool with that jackassery twice.

I have a contact up there I will email in the morning to see if I can get the official answer from our class III overlords.

Forget emails, I have NEVER gotten a response sending an email.

I got really lucky getting in contact with one of the form processors a few months ago and she has been very helpful answering general questions. I just didn't want to bother her with this one so i sent it to the general question email. I will try it your way on Monday and see what turns up.