Steak rant.

TN-popo

They screwed me hard in Memphis one night. The steak went back twice. Thank god they did a better job with the beer.

I just had the opposite happen to me. Friend and I went and had steak. The waitress knocked over a 24 oz. beer on me. Not one drop of it missed me. It was real cold beer and I was soaked. It was okay though we ate dinner and had a couple more beers; the manager picked up the whole check.

I just get ticked off when I go to a so called nice restaurant these days.  I think that people eat out so much these days that they don't know what good cooking is and they settle for what's being served.    

I tell my wife she does herself an injustice by cooking so good.  I can't take her out anywhere that really satisfies either of us.   :pleased:

Edited by Gun Smith
  • Like 1

Best place I've had a steak at in this area is Puleo's (exit 398).  I'd like to try Ruth's Chris but too expensive.
I always get mine well done.  If it's red, it ain't dead. :2cents:

That was me for years.  (because that is how dad was)  Well Done.

However about 5-6 years ago I was at Texas road house and ordered well done and it came out Medium.  The place was packed and I really didn't want to send it back.  Knowing steak is safe like that verse ground beef(at least been told that) I eat it and it was one of the best steaks I had ever eat to that point. So Now I order Medium and update.  Get it to Medium.

[quote name="Caster" post="1295160" timestamp="1439204286"]There are NO good steakhouses in the middle tn area. Only places that get it right occasionally.
Cooking a steak right is an art that seems to elude Tennessee/quote]

Fixed it for you. :D

I find that the various steakhouses can't get medium right. They usually under cook the steak at medium rare, so maybe you guys who like medium rare ought to order it one step up the scale.

Personally, I think that if a steak needs more than salt and pepper then the steer died in vain. :(

I get sick every time I eat at texas roadhouse.

Welcome to Texas Roadhouse, my name's Dalton, I'll be your server tonight.

What do you mean you don't like the steak.

[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/McGarrett50/media/roadhouse1_zps9pyltmzj.jpg.html]roadhouse1_zps9pyltmzj.jpg[/URL]

I like to watch Hell's Kitchen and noticed they refer to medium rare as "regular". They kind of act like it's a big deal when someone orders a steak any other way. They usually sear, then finish in an oven, then let the meat rest until it reaches the right temperature before serving. Right or wrong, it looks good on TV.

There are NO good steakhouses in the middle tn area. Only places that get it right occasionally.
Cooking a steak right is an art that seems to elude Nashville.

I think there is one steak house in Nashville that still makes a great steak any way you order it. I just cannot afford to eat there and that is the Kobi Steak House at 24th and Elliston Place next to Centennial Park if it is still there with all the construction going on in Nashville...........jmho

I like to watch Hell's Kitchen and noticed they refer to medium rare as "regular". They kind of act like it's a big deal when someone orders a steak any other way. They usually sear, then finish in an oven, then let the meat rest until it reaches the right temperature before serving. Right or wrong, it looks good on TV.

No, it works just fine that way if you have the timing sequence down pat. You can also achieve very nice results with a broiling pan set up the request four or so inches beneath an ovens top burner set to broil. W/O doubt there's a lot of really good ways to cook a steak with the only failure being over cooking or burning the steak.

• Like 1

No, it works just fine that way if you have the timing sequence down pat. You can also achieve very nice results with a broiling pan set up the request four or so inches beneath an ovens top burner set to broil. W/O doubt there's a lot of really good ways to cook a steak with the only failure being over cooking or burning the steak.

anything past medium rare is burnt to me, LOL

I'm gonna have to try the skillet idea. My grill won't get that hot either unless I turn on all four burners and waste alot of propane. Been wanting to get a good charcoal one for the good meat and use the propane for the lesser stuff.

If you can follow my Mothers way of cooking it skillet style you will love it.................. :up: :up:

I'm gonna have to try the skillet idea. My grill won't get that hot either unless I turn on all four burners and waste alot of propane. Been wanting to get a good charcoal one for the good meat and use the propane for the lesser stuff.

If you don't already have an oversized, deep, cast iron skillet then scrape together the money to buy one. I know bersaguy preaches the olive oil method, which I mostly use, unsalted butter is equally fantastic. Its all about getting the pan to the right initial temperature before putting the steak into it.

I think there is one steak house in Nashville that still makes a great steak any way you order it. I just cannot afford to eat there and that is the Kobi Steak House at 24th and Elliston Place next to Centennial Park if it is still there with all the construction going on in Nashville...........jmho

Never tried it.
Jimmy Kelly's CAN do it ......just not every single time.
  • Like 1

Since I'm a single guy, I learned how to cook a steak from Gordon Ramsey videos on YouTube.  One thing he makes clear is you never want to cook a steak just out of the fridge, instead letting it sit out for at least 30 min.  I think this is where a lot of restaurants can make their mistakes.  I can't imagine them leaving cuts of meat outside of the fridge long enough before cooking them.  Health and safety reasons factor into it I'm sure, but when you're cooking for the masses, and time equals money it's easy enough for the problems a lot of us have with restaurant steak to present themselves. 

All right! Enough! Boy and girls, ladies and germs, THIS is how you cook a steak. Before reading this and applying the techniques here I firmly believed I knew how to cook a steak. I mean, they were pretty good and I never got any complaints except the occasional over/under cooked comments. Since I have started using this method I know how inadequate my former steaks were. I have even used this method on Select grade steaks and they came out fabulous. Trust me when I say that the extra prep time here makes it well worth the while. You can save your thanks for after you've made your steaks this way. And for those that say that the only way to cook a steak is to flip it once, I'll gladly take the Pepsi challenge any time.

http://mancavezen.com/99/cook-perfect-steak-dry-rub-ribeye-recipe/

• Like 1

There are NO good steakhouses in the middle tn area. Only places that get it right occasionally.

Kayne Prime
Sperrys
Ruth Chris
Stony River

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true Hermitage Steakhouse in opryland and Flemings do steak right. You'll pay a pretty penny but it will be delish

I like my steaks from Houston's Butcher shop in Mt Juliet. Coat them in olive oil, salt and pepper to preference then grill on highest heat on my outdoor grill. Flip when the top starts to "sweat". They'll be medium rare ready in about 2 more minutes after that depending on thickness. Yum
Been to more than half the places listed thus far. It's not so much the quality....it's the repetition of said quality. I've eat at Stoney river a few times. First time was awesome, second time was mediocre at best. The last time was an absolute waste. I coulda done better and I suck on the grillin chores.

We stopped at some roadhouse place in Clarksville once. The steak was one of the best I ever had.....all the waiters and waitresses pausing to dance in aisles every 15 minutes to some godforsaken heehaw music played so loud I couldn't even hear my wife cussin about it. .....good food or not that sucked.
I bet I go back and the meat will be on par with Oscar Meyer. There's just no continuity in the play I've been thus far.....or they're so expensive it ain't worth it. I don't mind $20-25 or so for the meat but no steak is worth the $35+++ some places charge. Anything over $50-60 for me and the wife is just stupid.
That's just me though. Edited by Caster

Must say every medium rare I've ever gotten at Texas Roadhouse has been right on.

- OS

Texas Roadhouse is the only steak place I frequent anymore. They have the consistently best steak.

In ten years they have messed up one steak, and that was for my daughter, as she also only eats her steak medium rare like her father. They brought her a medium and she wouldn't eat it. When the waiter asked her was was wrong, she told him, and he brought her a proper steak in minutes. He got a decent tip for that.

• Like 1