Gun and Car Laws in TN

Guest photo_k0pier

Guest photo_k0pier

Hey all,

I'm not a regular around here, but I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask. I live in GA and here we are allowed to carry a handgun in our car without a permit. This upcoming weekend I'm going to visit relatives in Tenn for the holidays and wanted to take one of my pistols up there since we might do some target shooting.

What are the laws for transporting a handgun in the state without a permit? I was hoping my GA permit would be here before this weekend, but I don't think it will be.

I'm assuming if I lock the gun in a case in the trunk and don't transport any ammo I should be in the clear, but just wanted to double check. In addition to that my pistol I would also like to take one of my dad's shotguns back to him since I'm going. So I'd be transporting one pistol, one shotgun and no ammo (unless I'm allowed to keep the pistol loaded).

Thanks in advance for any info guys.

Ps. Dont hold my GA residence against me, I was born in Knoxville and am a huge Vols fan =)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

For long guns and pistols without a permit, Tennessee law allows transportation "Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon." That's in the Tennessee Code 39-17-1308 if you want to look it up. There are many different ways you could do this, Dave's is certainly one of them. If you're not bringing any ammunition, you wouldn't even have to lock them in the trunk. Just don't have the pistol on you.

"so can you put a loaded shotgun in your truck window on a rack since it would not be concealed? "

Shotgun visible in window of a pick-up truck in today's society? Ah I see, you are obviously feeling sorry for that poor gang-banger in back who doesn't have a gun and want to make one available to him! I worry about leaving my revolver in the bolted in lockbox in my trunk when I go into a posted area! I know in the Nashville/Knoxville/Memphis areas you would have donated that gun within the first hour of arrival. It probably isn't a whole lot better a practice in most small towns either. Theft is pretty much an acceptable way of life in most of America anymore.

I say that after growing up a country boy who had his H&R 12 gauge in a window rack pretty much all of the time. That was then, bad idea now!

so in a nut shell for the thread starter, you CAN NOT have a loaded pistol in your car or on your person while in TN unless you have a TN handgun permit or a permit that TN honors.

lock the gun in the trunk in a lockable case (not required by law, but you decide) and lock the ammo in the glove box and you would be good to go.

as easy as permits are to get in GA, i have yet to understand why so many gun owners in GA have not jumped all over the permit. its crazy how easy it is to get one. what is even more crazy is that the GA CCP acts as an NCIC check when purchasing a new firearm. what kinda dog poop is that? and it is a generic printed out permit with a fingerprint and no picture.

Guest Dean_JC78

What a bogus law, how the heck are you supposed to defend yourself if your gun is locked in the trunk and the ammo locked in the glove box? I guess that is the point... sounds an aweful lot like DC's handgun law but instead of the house, it is the car.

Moral of the story, everyone needs to get the handgun permit. I know I do but keep putting it off.

I still think all that can, should get their HCP, but...

I did wonder when the state changed the self-defense law to include your car as a place where it is assumed someone trying to break in is going to try to cause you great bodily harm or death, why it didn't extend the same rights you have in your home for firearms to your car. :shrug:

Guest photo_k0pier
I still think all that can, should get their HCP, but...

I did wonder when the state changed the self-defense law to include your car as a place where it is assumed someone trying to break in is going to try to cause you great bodily harm or death, why it didn't extend the same rights you have in your home for firearms to your car. :shrug:

That's why in GA you don't even need the firearms license to carry in your car. It was determined that your car is an extension of your property so the same carry laws that apply to your home more or less apply to your car.

And yeah it is ridiculously easy to get a permit in GA. The idea is that if you can legally buy a handgun you can legally carry it (you just have to fill out some additional paperwork). I think the idea is that if you can have a pistol you can carry it, and it is up to the state to prove you don't have the right to carry, where in most states you must prove to the state that you are capable and trained to carry (by taking classes and tests).

I like the fact that GA is so gun friendly, but it does make me nervous that there are some very ill-informed people walking around with loaded weapons. I'm just waiting on my permit to come in, but I took a handgun class when I was younger and wish everyone had to do the same.

I think I had to go through more red tape to get a hunting license than I did to apply for my permit to carry.

i didnt know that a loaded magazine was illegal in ones vehicle. have done that for years just kept ammo and rifle separated.

I would like to see the law on this cited. Having to load mags at the range kind of defeats the point of having multiple magazines.

I been transporting when needed with guns in the truck interior and ammo/loaded mags in a ammo can in the tool box.

I would like to see the law on this cited. Having to load mags at the range kind of defeats the point of having multiple magazines.

I been transporting when needed with guns in the truck interior and ammo/loaded mags in a ammo can in the tool box.

He may be referring to 39-17-1301(15) which says..

“Unloaded†means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.

But I don't think that means you can't have a loaded magazine period. Also it would seem as long as a loaded magazine isn't in the "immediate vicinity" of the weapon you are ok, just like with ammo in general.

However having a loaded magazine and simply having out of the weapon but close, would not seem to be considered "Unloaded" by the law.