Cheap Air Fares?

R_Bert

I usually use Travelocity. Where you heading? Anywhere fun?

From Chicadishu, to anywhere, but mostly Knoxville.

I make it home about once a month by road.  Hoping to add a weekend to the mix.

From Chicadishu, to anywhere, but mostly Knoxville.

I make it home about once a month by road.  Hoping to add a weekend to the mix.

If you can deal with flying into Nashville and not Knoxville, American Airlines has a bunch of flights a day from O'Hare to BNA.

Take a look at total cost before you choose. Some of the cheaper airlines charge you for seat selection, etc., and can get pretty ridiculous about it.

Yes... seat selection fee, baggage fee (even if its a carry-on), just because fee...   There's a reason those $89 flights end up costing $250. 

Yes... seat selection fee, baggage fee (even if its a carry-on), just because fee... There's a reason those $89 flights end up costing $250.

I get emails several times a week from frontier. They're one of the worst for that crap. That and cancelling .

From Nashville, it's hard to beat Southwest's prices or flight availability.

Google Flights is hands-down the best search tool if you know your destination. Its bar-graph is awesome for adjusting dates to find the best prices. Like most search tools, it does not include Southwest.

Fare Compare has a nice tool for finding flights if you departure and dates are known, but don't care where you're going (ie. "Show me some cheap flights from Knoxville and I'll see if they're going anywhere I'd like to go")

http://www.farecompare.com/maps/

Edited by monkeylizard

Orbitz (along with Travelocity and a few others) will compare fares for the major airlines. If you're going where they fly, Southwest is a good choice, but you have to check on their website at www.southwest.com   Southwest flights won't appear on Orbitz's search or Travelocity. If you want to check other discount airlines, see if they fly to where you want to go and then check their websites directly.

Generally, if you check the box on "flexible when you fly," you can usually save $100 or more by picking one of the non-peak days.  It's also best to book a month in advance. The best fares disappear 30 days out or 21 days out depending on the airline.

Edited by jgradyc

You did this all wrong, should have made it a contest, "whoever finds me the cheapest fare gets a beer!". Heck you would have people driving up there to pick you up.

I found some really nice Ukrainian Porter and dark ales

For anyone living in the Knoxville area, and is trying to save a penny in flying, DO NOT FLY KNOXVILLE (ever).  Nashville is by far the best.  The 2 1/2 hour drive is well worth the hundreds you save.  Trust me!

Small story, we flew a family of six to Hawaii 3 years ago, and flew out of Atlanta.  We saved $600 a person and booked 30 days out with non-refundable tickets using the same airline.  I will drive 3 hours any day to save $3600.  Knoxville airport is 1/2 hour away, and Atlanta is 3 hours away.  A no brainer, but I will say after 8 days in Hawaii with small kids, that 3 hour drive from ATL to home was a pain, but that $3600 sure soothed the pain.

I was surprised to learn that the hotel and airfare bundles from sites like Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz can actually be cheaper than just buying the airfare alone. In March I traveled a day earlier than planned, stayed in the hotel booked as part of the bundle for just one night, and still saved money. The catch was that the flight choices were more limited than buying flights by themselves. I found some sites that had fares that were more than nominally cheaper than the big three (see above), but they were all for odd flight combinations. Some involved changing airports in big cities like NYC, Chicago, or London. Others involved overnight layovers. So, I'll probably be sticking with the big three (and airline sites) in the future. HTH