The news did a story on my brothers 3rd deployment

Words can't describe how proud I am of my older brother. I get misty eyed just thinking about it.

My brother has been through hell and back while in the Army. Just 48 hours after enlisting in the FL National Guard he was told he would be going on a 9-10 month deployment to Africa. During his 2nd tour in Iraq his Humvee drove over an IED and he was the only one in the vehicle to survive. Despite that, he recently decided to serve our country again my joining the guard.

He was supposed to be my best man at my wedding in October but won't be able to join. I'm just proud to call him my brother and I wanted to share.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/7/23/soldier_deployment_f.html#.VbF7VPLGlQI.mailto

• Like 13

I've got a friend serving in Africa right now.  Not a bad gig other than the separation from friends and family back home.  Here's to a speedy and safe return.   :cheers:

Hope his deployment is an uneventful one and that he gets back safe and sound.  While some parts of Africa are decent enough, there are some parts that are as bad if not worse than the Middle East.  I've been to both kinds and have no wish to return to either one.

Thanks everyone. He'll be guarding a drone launch site so there is no telling how it's going to be. Hopefully he'll be bored but safe.

Sounds like our country is in good hands!

Now, this here sounds like an ideal time to mount that pistol to a drone :)

Thanks everyone. He'll be guarding a drone launch site so there is no telling how it's going to be. Hopefully he'll be bored but safe.

No worries, they'll find rocks that need painted, the motor pool will need to be rearranged a few times, CONEX's need to be inventoried often...plenty to do in a nine month deployment.  Damned if I ever knew the reasons for it all, though.

I know exactly where he is going because that is where my son was for 6+ months. Even though it is not in Afghanistan or Iraq it is far from safe because it is actually 12 miles from Somalia. My son was able to leave the wire a couple of times to help the locals but that was no longer possible after the IED outside the main gate. From talking to my son they have Subway and a few other small shops like coffee shops. Internet is ok but can be hit and miss. And luckily it is east Africa away from the annual Ebola outbreak on the western part of the continent. Your brother will be living in the two man container box sleeping quarters.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly