Ga GFL compared to TN CCW

Guest adavid02

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

yup...georgia's isn't allergic to places that serve alcohol, or with stupid stickers on their doors

but ours do look pretty snazzy. My alabama one was a printed piece of paper, and it was optional to have a hard copy made, which cost like $10 and looked worse than a flea market fake ID

Guest adavid02

Thats because we have GeorgiaCarry.org!!! Get some guys together and a few legal eagles and start up a TennesseeCarry.org. Thanks to Ga HB 89 that was passed in June I can carry into places that serve alcohol, on public transit, into state parks, and anyone who is a tleast eligible for a permit can carry anywhere in their car.

Guest abailey362

oh...and we don't have a CCW - it's a HCP. We can only carry handguns, but it can be open or concealed. Another "wonderful" thing about the state is the inability to carry a loaded long gun

Guest HexHead
Thats because we have GeorgiaCarry.org!!! Get some guys together and a few legal eagles and start up a TennesseeCarry.org. Thanks to Ga HB 89 that was passed in June I can carry into places that serve alcohol, on public transit, into state parks, and anyone who is a tleast eligible for a permit can carry anywhere in their car.

You may have had GeorgiaCarry.org, but you didn't have Jimmy Naifeh.

Hopefully we won't either in another couple of months. :eek:

The GA license allows you to bypass NICS when buying a gun from a dealer like the Arkansas concealed handgun license. It was very nice just filling out the form and letting the dealer write down my CHL number on the form and walking out the door. It is a shame my TN handgun carry permit doesn't serve as a background check per ATF and we also have to pay 10 bucks to TICS AND get thumbprints. At least NICS is free.

It would be nice if our carry permit substituted as a background check like GA's, MS, and Arkansas when buying firearms. I would like to bypass paying TICS and getting thumbprinted when purchasing from a dealer. At least NICS doesn't charge a user fee.

It would be nice if our carry permit substituted as a background check like GA's, MS, and Arkansas when buying firearms. I would like to bypass paying TICS and getting thumbprinted when purchasing from a dealer. At least NICS doesn't charge a user fee.

It could be done.....

If the criminal check was done more often (I want to say once a year) I think it could count. With some of the stink maybe still in the air about the checks not being run on renewals, the legislature could revisit how these checks are done. It could be a time to suggest the checks are done annually (which would look good to the press and sheeple) and also get it to count as a TICS check toward the purchase of firearms (good for us).

Of course what would probably happen is the extra cost of running more checks would just be added to the permit and renewals fees. Depending on the extra fee it might still be better for some, not for others.

But legally, Georgia's is better and that's what counts. You can go more places with it there than you can with a TN one here.

Well, yes and no.

The "public gathering" thing was not changed in Georgia, correct?

So, no churches, public buildings (state, county, city), among other things.

These are actually places you CAN carry in TN, unless posted.

- OS

Guest HexHead

I have no problem with the current system of the NICS when I purchase a gun. I've filled out the form so many times, I don't even have to read it anymore and I just breeze through the check in a matter of seconds. No big deal.

Guest GUTTERbOY

North Carolina's carry permit is pretty much equally "low-tech" like the GFL. Just a piece of laminated paper with your name, DL number, and expiration date on it. Yet oddly enough, you could use the NC CHL to bypass the NICS check.

Here in TN, I just don't know what to do with this fancy-schmancy HCP. It's just too nice!

:drama:

Guest VolGrad
Well, yes and no.

The "public gathering" thing was not changed in Georgia, correct?

So, no churches, public buildings (state, county, city), among other things.

These are actually places you CAN carry in TN, unless posted.

- OS

You are correct. The PG language is still in the books ... for now. There is a comprehensive study committee going on between sessions. It is looking at the many inconsistent and vague gun laws right now. Expect new gun legislation in the next session. Let's hope we keep it moving in the right direction.